[Discraft] Crafting Low Scores - Everything Discraft!

So finally got to the field, then course with my First Run Cicadas. Ordered 2, a 170-172 and a 175-176. Of course, the lighter one is throwing like an Athena (0,2) and the heavier one is more of a (-2,1). I'm not sold on them just yet. I don't carry a whole bunch of understable discs, so I was looking for something that would turn but not roll for shots that had a straighter finish then I would feel comfortable throwing a forehand at.

Standstill flip-ups felt good, but a full run-up I'm not sure where they get the 6 glide rating from. I threw them against a friend's Leopards and I found the leopards held right for longer and glided farther. Maybe I got two very flat molds, but I'm not convinced they'll stay in the bag as of now with the lack of glide.

I was looking at my Zones the other day, because I noticed a while back that the Jawbreaker ones tend to have more of a notch, than the flat angle on the bottom rim that the premium plastics do, and found that one of them (a Paige Pierce flower stamped one) is actually convex on the bottom wing. Haven't thrown this one before. Any of you got one like it? Curious how it'll fly when I get it out to a course...

1000013411.jpg

I was looking at my Zones the other day, because I noticed a while back that the Jawbreaker ones tend to have more of a notch, than the flat angle on the bottom rim that the premium plastics do, and found that one of them (a Paige Pierce flower stamped one) is actually convex on the bottom wing. Haven't thrown this one before. Any of you got one like it? Curious how it'll fly when I get it out to a course...

View attachment 332287
hmm thats interesting

reminds me of lookin at a sw vs rr

keep us posted on what it flies like

im not a zoner but ive never seen that before

Every Jawbreaker I've thrown is noticeably more understable than premium. Never inspected the wing.

Likely...it's exactly what I just described.

Every Jawbreaker I've thrown is noticeably more understable than premium. Never inspected the wing.

Likely...it's exactly what I just described.
They're more understable, but my other JB ones are concave. This is one of them, and the other 3 match it. Only the PP one is convex...

1000013410.jpg

View attachment 332287
I'll have to take a look at the one I got and gave to a friend when I see her next...she loves it and I joked that when it stopped doing what she wanted, that I wanted it back. I wonder if that's why she clicked with it better than the other Zones I've seen her try before???

Looking for some longer term context from cicada throwers.

Kind of stuck in between the Soda and Cicada. The Z Cicada is a little more stable than I'd like, and the Soda is really similar in flight to the Mantis. Both of which seem to slightly overlap with the Undertakers that I carry...hoping to hear more about ESP/Z FLX/Z Lite Cicadas. Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree, and should be looking at something like a Leopard3 or Jackalope ( I dislike domey drivers in general)

Looking for some longer term context from cicada throwers.

Kind of stuck in between the Soda and Cicada. The Z Cicada is a little more stable than I'd like, and the Soda is really similar in flight to the Mantis. Both of which seem to slightly overlap with the Undertakers that I carry...hoping to hear more about ESP/Z FLX/Z Lite Cicadas. Maybe I'm just barking up the wrong tree, and should be looking at something like a Leopard3 or Jackalope ( I dislike domey drivers in general)
The max weight ESP Cicada I had was so flippy it might as well have been a Sol. That's how much distance it covered before it hit the ground on a turn.

It's hard to compare anything to the Mantis, because the Mantis is Discraft's most unreliable mold, in terms of run-to-run and plastic-to-plastic stability.

As far as comparison to an Undertaker for your Z one, I'd expect that the Undertaker you're noticing overlap with is incredibly flippy, or the Cicada is similar to the Mantis, in terms of unreliability from run to run. I've never thrown a Cicada that I would say came anywhere close to the Undertaker. They've all been flippier than a Passion, which is a notch flippier than an Undertaker.

The heirarchy of the reliably consistent fairways in Discraft's lineup has been, in my experience (from flippiest to most overstable): Passion, Undertaker, Athena, Raptor, CapRap. I've had Mantises that were flippier than a Passion, and that were more overstable than an Athena. I've only thrown a couple Cicadas (the ESP I owned, and the Z I threw), and both were flippier than a Passion.

Last edited:
The heirarchy of the reliably consistent fairways in Discraft's lineup has been, in my experience (from flippiest to most overstable): Passion, Undertaker, Athena, Raptor, CapRap. I've had Mantises that were flippier than a Passion, and that were more overstable than an Athena. I've only thrown a couple Cicadas (the ESP I owned, and the Z I threw), and both were flippier than a Passion.

Have you tried the Sting?

Yeah where I'm seeing the overlap is with my most understable undertaker. It's a 168 Z that's been in the bag for the better part of 6 years. It's not unpredictably flippy by any means (quite the opposite actually, very consistent flights), but the flat top first run cicada I have is only very marginally less high speed stable.

I did like the passion a lot, but the wide diameter made it less consistent for my natural slight hyzer flip throwing style. The Soda is easy to turn but has distinct fade (like a slow Valkyrie, or a worn Eagle-L) so it doesn't really slot in where I'd hope. The Sting is way too flippy, same with the Vortex. Maybe I'm being too picky.

Yeah where I'm seeing the overlap is with my most understable undertaker. It's a 168 Z that's been in the bag for the better part of 6 years. It's not unpredictably flippy by any means (quite the opposite actually, very consistent flights), but the flat top first run cicada I have is only very marginally less high speed stable.

I did like the passion a lot, but the wide diameter made it less consistent for my natural slight hyzer flip throwing style. The Soda is easy to turn but has distinct fade (like a slow Valkyrie, or a worn Eagle-L) so it doesn't really slot in where I'd hope. The Sting is way too flippy, same with the Vortex. Maybe I'm being too picky.
I actually switched to the Mantra, for the slot you're trying to fill. Good flip, controllable though, and reliable fade - combined with absolutely ridiculous glide. The flip is a bit steep, but I've enjoyed it, now that I know I just need more hyzer.

What is the consensus on how the Venom flies? I bought two Barela Z Swirl Venoms and one is very domey and one is board flat, almost puddle top. They both fly less stable than the numbers though and I'd say they are definitely a tick less stable than your run of the mill Destroyer. At 130-140m (420-450') I get turn out of these and when I hit them full power I can get them to flip over and ride a bit from a small hyzer. This does not seem to be how the disc was designed to fly, which makes me a bit hesitant to buy more.

What is the consensus on how the Venom flies? I bought two Barela Z Swirl Venoms and one is very domey and one is board flat, almost puddle top. They both fly less stable than the numbers though and I'd say they are definitely a tick less stable than your run of the mill Destroyer. At 130-140m (420-450') I get turn out of these and when I hit them full power I can get them to flip over and ride a bit from a small hyzer. This does not seem to be how the disc was designed to fly, which makes me a bit hesitant to buy more.

that's wildly different than my experience with them. maybe it's the swirl z, the stock ESP were basically a Force OS in my opinion. I don't throw as far as you do anymore but I can still hit 400' on occasion.

that's wildly different than my experience with them. maybe it's the swirl z, the stock ESP were basically a Force OS in my opinion. I don't throw as far as you do anymore but I can still hit 400' on occasion.
I had the same opinion of the two I had (bottom stamp, and DGLO run). Totally useless for my bag, so I gave them away. Way more overstable than the old run Force I bag for headwinds and Skippy hyzers.

I suspect your experience's are more in line with how the majority of them flies and that this run is less stable. I really like how the domey one flies but I will not be buying more, I'll stick with my Cloud breakers and Sockibots.

For what it's worth, I do find that Z-Swirl flies notably different from the other plastics in the current lineup. I've usually liked it better, because of that. My favorite Fierce, modern Comet, and Raptor are all Z Swirl. More glide on all of them, but they're also more resistant to turn than the other plastics - which would be the opposite of what you're seeing...

Latest posts