• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Tusk from a wild boar I grabbed right by hole 1 tee pad at Bradford- tracks around 8-9 and 15, ground dug up around 9s tee pad. Haven't seen any tracks recently though, and have never seen one of these out in the sunlight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 136
At Colchester's University of Essex course there are crazy amounts of rascally little rabbits that roam the campus. They're pretty cute, until you see hundreds of their rotting corpses all over the course. Apparently, the campus poisons their water supply each summer for one reason or another.

Might be if they didn't do it, there'd be thousands of rascally little rabbits running around, instead of hundreds.

Natural predators like foxes > poisoning water supply...

There's no way to poison the rabbits' water supply without poisoning the water supply for everything else. There's got to be a better way to check the rabbit population.

Last edited:
Natural predators like foxes > poisoning water supply...

There's no way to poison the rabbits' water supply without poisoning the water supply for everything else. There's got to be a better way to check the rabbit population.

I'm not sure I want to play a course with dozens of fox running around either. But, completely agree poisoning the water supply seems kind of radical. Maybe large Hawks.....they don't frighten me as much as wild dogs.

I was doing some field work today. I had thrown most of my bag and was down to my last two discs, very overstable, that I use to practice forehand rollers. I threw the first one and when it was about halfway down the field a coyote comes tearing out of the bushes chasing after it. The disc runs out of steam before the coyote can get to it, so he runs up and just looks at it. I throw my last disc. He sees it coming and starts chasing it down. He catches it before it stops and grabs it in his mouth, holds it for a few seconds and drops it. He then notices one of my other discs lying in the field, picks it up and runs off into the woods. I had to chase the little bastard for a quarter of a mile before he finally dropped it. Fortunately, my bag and all my other discs were still there when I got back.

Hmmmm, something doesn't sound quite right. Coyotes are pretty fast, I am not sure how you were able to chase him down. If it were me and a wild animal grabbed my disc, I would just let him go.

Hmmmm, something doesn't sound quite right. Coyotes are pretty fast, I am not sure how you were able to chase him down. If it were me and a wild animal grabbed my disc, I would just let him go.

Might be more like "followed him, cussing and angry, while the coyote kept out of reach with the disc but didn't flee." He clearly didn't feel threatened much by human presence, because he was comfortable enough to walk out onto the fairway in plain sight, watch the discs come towards him, and pick one to steal.

There is a sparrow hawk that nests on my local course. Every once in a while it pulverizes a pigeon, presumably overnight, and leaves a gratuitous amount of the victims feathers in a fairway. Yesterday, I spotted it perched near the nest with a baby bird that it had likely grabbed from another bird's nest. It's sort of like the course mascot.

Armadillo is probably the coolest critter I have run into..locally anyway.

At Moneta Park in Moneta, VA there is a resident peacock that hangs out with no concern for humans. There's rarely more than two or three people on the course so he usually comes out to check you out while your playing. And in Bedford at Falling Creek DGC there are huge groundhog holes in all the fairways. The surprisingly large groundhogs will pop out of the holes and run by you while your lining up a shot. They've startled me on quite few occasions.

Might be more like "followed him, cussing and angry, while the coyote kept out of reach with the disc but didn't flee." He clearly didn't feel threatened much by human presence, because he was comfortable enough to walk out onto the fairway in plain sight, watch the discs come towards him, and pick one to steal.

I was walking my dog at a park early in the morning off leash and saw her sprinting across a football field. I then looked 15 feet behind and saw what was really my dog who was chasing a coyote across the field. It was a pretty cool sight. That is as close as I want to be to a coyote. While it might not be threatened by human presence, by no means does it mean they are friendly critters, lol.

I'm not sure I want to play a course with dozens of fox running around either. But, completely agree poisoning the water supply seems kind of radical. Maybe large Hawks.....they don't frighten me as much as wild dogs.

If you were at a course with dozens of fox, you probably wouldn't even know. Those things hide better than an orange yellow and brown fly-dye in the fall.

This little guy seemed quite interested in playing, I was more interested in a burger:

image.jpg
Swards ranch, Norris MT (ctier comin up 5/16)
Marmot thingys live in these rocks and chirp at you
Huge red tail Hawks, antelope and some rattle snakes of course
...just a temp course thru tourney time, land is used for cattle critters in the summer

image.jpg
bohart ranch XC ski center, bozeman MT (ctier 7/25, atier 8/21&22)
on the day I took this pic running around the upper property looking at new course layout- I parked the mini truck to throw a few - on 2nd hole saw two moose very close to the green- they ran off in the direction I was going but never saw or heard them again, two holes later on an elevated tee there was a black bear in the fairway bout 200' away - I stepped back for a minute & when I looked again it was gone & I had no idea which way it went so I played the hole yelling loudly -and then got the **** out lolz....

Last edited:
I was walking my dog at a park early in the morning off leash and saw her sprinting across a football field. I then looked 15 feet behind and saw what was really my dog who was chasing a coyote across the field. It was a pretty cool sight. That is as close as I want to be to a coyote. While it might not be threatened by human presence, by no means does it mean they are friendly critters, lol.

I wouldn't worry too much about coyotes. A swift kick in the face, and they usually recognize they're out-classed.

Raccoons ... now they just don't know when to quit.

Must've been about 7-8 years ago. Was shooting the round of my life. Just parked a water hole and was crossing a bridge to tap in my birdie. There was a huge splash in the water right under me. I lost my balance, but caught myself before falling. I literally froze in place as I could see the water start to churn and something very large causing the disturbance. All of the sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the Paleolithic Era, comes out of the water. It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes...and I yelled, I said, "What do you want from us, monster?" And the monster bent down, and said, "I need about tree-fitty." I said, "I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you g**d*** Loch Ness Monster! Get your own g**d*** money!" My buddy gave him a dollar. I'll never forget that day.

View attachment 53490
bohart ranch XC ski center, bozeman MT (ctier 7/25, atier 8/21&22)
on the day I took this pic running around the upper property looking at new course layout- I parked the mini truck to throw a few - on 2nd hole saw two moose very close to the green- they ran off in the direction I was going but never saw or heard them again, two holes later on an elevated tee there was a black bear in the fairway bout 200' away - I stepped back for a minute & when I looked again it was gone & I had no idea which way it went so I played the hole yelling loudly -and then got the **** out lolz....

I once played there, all alone in a light drizzle, with no idea if there was a bear population but imagining grizzlies behind every tree. Though I never saw a bear while on the course, I saw them later in my nightmares. Thanks for reviving the memory.

Must've been about 7-8 years ago. Was shooting the round of my life. Just parked a water hole and was crossing a bridge to tap in my birdie. There was a huge splash in the water right under me. I lost my balance, but caught myself before falling. I literally froze in place as I could see the water start to churn and something very large causing the disturbance. All of the sudden this huge creature, this giant crustacean from the Paleolithic Era, comes out of the water. It stood above us looking down with these big red eyes...and I yelled, I said, "What do you want from us, monster?" And the monster bent down, and said, "I need about tree-fitty." I said, "I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you g**d*** Loch Ness Monster! Get your own g**d*** money!" My buddy gave him a dollar. I'll never forget that day.

Haaa! Thank you for one of the funnier posts I've seen on this site in a while. For those of you who don't get it, it's a South Park reference.

Latest posts