• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cross country meet at the course

Beaver State Park in Buffalo was my first experience seeing a disc golf course. We ran there in college every year. I've never played there, picked up disc golf 8 years after I graduated, lol.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did it at Lake Stevens. It's a small area, but there's a fitness path running through the course and I've nearly clocked a few runners that weren't paying attention to where they were. I always keep my eyes open, but there's always those blind shots or people popping up when you least expect them.

Reminds me of the time a girl I was playing with nearly took out a Boston Terrier who came trotting into the fairway (with his people) at White River right after she released her disc. If it had had longer hair she would have shaved it. It was really that close.

Now that I've digressed, I'm going to go throw discs.

Happens all the time here.. At my home course there is always some type of Cross Country or Track training going on it seems like. They also "train" a lot of the bike cops for the area in the same park.

I've had three daughters run CC and I only know of one around here. They have several CC meets at Loriella - it's the "home" course for one of the local HS. There's no way you're playing DG during the meets though - way too much overlap and crossings. BTW - they paint on the ground not the trees. Was just at meet Saturday at a private school that looped through/around a regular golf course.

Rogers Lakewood, my home course, is also the home course for one of the local junior high school cross country teams. I don't know how often they're there, I rarely play in the after school hours. Should be a decent challenge with the sledding hill, some other elevation changes in the glacial moraine, etc.

I suppose it's perfectly likely they were using it before the disc golf course was there.

I've seen organized groups of young runners at Lemon Lake too. Not sure how frequently they use that course.

Ottawa Park in Toledo gets used once a year. The starting block is in the 2nd fairway.

I have some friends who "run" during their disc golf rounds in between shots for exercise. I did it once, shot well but everybody was having trouble remembering scores..... =-)

In college, the course on campus shared space with the regular cross country trail. It was a regular occurrence to have to wait out runners, usually members of the university's team or the local high school's team practicing, but occasionally a meet. Since it was more or less a permanent race course, they had permanent directional signs installed. Some of them were helpful for navigation on the disc golf course too, some of them not. The sign indicating a right turn in the race course placed right at the point of the turn on a dogleg right hole...good. The sign behind the basket of the same hole indicating a left turn of the race course while the next tee was to the right...confusing to visitors, to say the least.

They do this at a course I play in Mustang, OK. The one real nice upside to this is they keep the course mowed well during cross country season.

I ran CC in high school, and now 3 of the courses we ran in the area have now become DG courses. Heilmann(home course), Laguna Lake(SLO) and Waller(Santa Maria) are all good courses for both CC and DG.

Grey Fox gets taken over a few weekends a year in Silver Lake, WI. Not only are there runners all over, people park their cars all over the fairways and tee pads.

For some reason the Park District didn't think of putting up Course Closed signs and people were still trying to play. A few cars were hit in the process (why even play).

I have never seen it but it is great exposure for the sport. Wish they did that around here

The Middletown, MD course frequently has a cross country route set up winding all through the course. It is a very lightly used disc golf course so the impact is pretty minimal! I was playing there on Tuesday night and the cross country coach was driving around in a golf cart checking the flags along the course, must be a meet this week.

I ran cross-country for my high school and I currently run it at college and I can confirm lost of meets happen at disc golf courses. Because like some people said they have the same things that appeal to runners and disc golfers and because a lot of them are in state parks where it makes lots of sense to hold a cross-country meet. I know during the races I don't worry about the baskets but afterwards during cooldowns I'll imagine what I would throw on each hole.

Latest posts