• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Feldberg putting clinic

Man, how fucking cool would it have been to be able to take a disc golf class for credit?

I only got through 4 of them before they took them down. :x He's such a good teacher, just seems natural to him.

I wish they would have one at texas state. we have our own damn course on campus. give us a class!

I only got through the first 3 as well. I have never seen "The Champs Way" dvd, but I was also impressed with Dave's teaching ability. I've been working on my pitch putt for about a year, and I was able to have a few things clarified for me by watching what I was able to.

DiscDemon25 said:
Well, it didn't take long for them to be made private. I got to watch up to 5 of 6 but that was it.

:x

The last two sessions were more about rules than technique. If you watch the first 4 sessions then you should be in good shape.

Claytoon said:
:wink:
Because they (prob innova) realized how valuable they were, and they want to sell them...

I still love innova...but just being honest and realistic. It makes good business sense.

I understand the reason behind it even though it does rub me in the wrong way (slightly).

Edit: Who filmed it?

What sucks is that I saw the Fundamentals DVD, and the way it was filmed is so quick and glazes over a ton of info. If you don't pay strict attention, you can miss important details, and even still I'm sure some details are left out. And it was cheesy.
That's what I liked so much about these youtube videos, was how much detail he went into about the techniques, explanations, etc. I hope that the next DVD is as detailed and as quality as these videos were. Also could be more laid back and personal like these...lose some of the cheese factor.

He says in the youtube videos that the next DVD is due out this summer.

P.S. the end of the 6th video lists who filmed it...once I get home, I'll edit my post to include that info.

I saw 5 of 6 and if 6 was anything like 5 they should post those two for sure, it would HELP the sport if people understand the rules and are given methods to play accurately by the rules. That stepping down with the back foot could cause A LOT of penalties. Of course, nobody except at the tip top level will make the calls because it's a goofy rule.

I can understand why somebody took them down, but he's still saying I showed you 5 in the first DVD, 10 here and now I've got 15 which I'll show you in the next DVD. If you benefit from this, how are you not going to want the next DVD?

He's not showing or telling anything that hasn't been taught here though. He actually even mentions "the hit" and late acceleration, I believe, for the first time (outside of folks here). Should be positive for lots of folks. I hope they do a better job of explaining driving than the first one.

But again, it's nothing that hasn't been explained here.

I'll probably buy the dvd just on the long shot that owning the dvd will increase my distance.

black udder said:
I saw 5 of 6 and if 6 was anything like 5 they should post those two for sure, it would HELP the sport if people understand the rules and are given methods to play accurately by the rules. That stepping down with the back foot could cause A LOT of penalties. Of course, nobody except at the tip top level will make the calls because it's a goofy rule.

I can understand why somebody took them down, but he's still saying I showed you 5 in the first DVD, 10 here and now I've got 15 which I'll show you in the next DVD. If you benefit from this, how are you not going to want the next DVD?

He's not showing or telling anything that hasn't been taught here though. He actually even mentions "the hit" and late acceleration, I believe, for the first time (outside of folks here). Should be positive for lots of folks. I hope they do a better job of explaining driving than the first one.

But again, it's nothing that hasn't been explained here.

I'll probably buy the dvd just on the long shot that owning the dvd will increase my distance.

I agree the vids were a great instructional tool for sure. Im glad I was able to watch them. Definitely not anything that hasnt been said here however to be able to have a visual reference of someone describing and performing the putt was Extremely helpfuly for me.

I have a hard time learning from the writings here but being able to see the putt performed has made it all seem so much easier for me. I will definitely be buying the next DVD.

Also on a side note I have emailed dave about the 15 checkpoints he goes through. So if I am lucky and he responds I will post that here as well. I did try to email the guy who posted the vids but I was having comp issues at the wrong damn time and was not successful.

The Fundamentals DVD is supposed to be one of a series. They intend to do several more, probably one on putting, one on distance driving, one on trick shots. I talked to Dave and Kenny when they were out at Sylmar shooting Fundamentals

Man, i just set up my basket in my room just now. Tried to get some of these straight arm putts... Man, this ain't an easy transition.

That was an excellent video. I have always had trouble controlling the release point on straight-arm putts (same reason I suck at horseshoes), but Dave's demonstration of pushing the disc forward at the release point made the concept click. I played around with this a bit, and was able to pitch putt with way more power and accuracy than before. Perhaps with practice I can finally get away from spin putting!

Monocacy said:
That was an excellent video. I have always had trouble controlling the release point on straight-arm putts (same reason I suck at horseshoes), but Dave's demonstration of pushing the disc forward at the release point made the concept click. I played around with this a bit, and was able to pitch putt with way more power and accuracy than before. Perhaps with practice I can finally get away from spin putting!

do nothing but push putt for 2 weeks. Dont worry how frustrating it is. Dont worry how terrible your scores become.
2 weeks of this and you wont even think about spin-putting it again.

do nothing but push putt for 2 weeks. Dont worry how frustrating it is. Dont worry how terrible your scores become.
Heh - My putting is pretty inconsistent, so I can't imagine my scores suffering much. :oops:

Monocacy said:
Heh - My putting is pretty inconsistent, so I can't imagine my scores suffering much. :oops:

between holes, I would practice the push putt into trees 10-15 feet away. Tell yourself (and try to believe it) that you are not gonna go back to push putting.

Like Dave said, I havent 3 putted in a very long time.

I also found that I had better results when I am leaning into the putt, just like Dave did in his video.
Try putting with your back straight. (your results will not be consistent)
Now putt with about a 45 degree bend at the hips (a lot better results)

Pat said:
. . . between holes, I would practice the push putt into trees 10-15 feet away. Tell yourself (and try to believe it) that you are not gonna go back to push putting.
Deal! I practiced outside this evening in a mild breeze, and I was hitting my practice "basket" (a 2 x 6 board) with pretty good regularity out to 24 feet. Beyond that range I became inconsistent. Still, that's encouraging progress for the first day.

I also found that I had better results when I am leaning into the putt, just like Dave did in his video.
Try putting with your back straight. (your results will not be consistent)
Now putt with about a 45 degree bend at the hips (a lot better results)
Good tip on leaning in and bending at the hips. Boy, I can't wait to put together a real practice basket. A Wizard does make a satisfying "thwack" when it hits a 2 x 6, but nothing beats the sound of plastic meeting chains.

I was doing the drill where you putt and hold your stance then bend down on the knee and pick up the next putter. I am in good shape and that was a good workout for me. great for teaching your body how to balance. after 10-15 of doing that off and on I started to sweat

I'm sorry, but I'm still confused as to how this works...I do the 'shoulder push' and the finger spring, but it still just flops out of my hand. When I cock my wrist, even just a little bit, and then go to the handshake position, it spins a little, but at least it stays flat. He says there should be no spin. So which is it.
Also, he contradicts himself. When he keeps showing how you 'push' the putt, he shows his wrist broken past parallel with the forearm. Yet when he talks about how you finish, he shows the wrist straight ahead, shaking hands, still parallel with the forearm. Again, which is it...contradictions are frustrating!
Even with the free vids, I am still going to buy the DVD when it comes out, to get more clarification.

BTW, the end of the video says, special thanks to Tom Schot at World Disc Sports and the Silicon Valley Disc Golf Club, in San Jose, CA. I guess Tom is either the one who filmed it or the one who set the whole thing up.

Releasing the disc any way should create some spin on it but I could be wrong. The disc coming off your index finger naturally causes spin but very little. again i am no expert but i think i have read that before

Claytoon said:
I'm sorry, but I'm still confused as to how this works...I do the 'shoulder push' and the finger spring, but it still just flops out of my hand. When I cock my wrist, even just a little bit, and then go to the handshake position, it spins a little, but at least it stays flat. He says there should be no spin. So which is it.
Also, he contradicts himself. When he keeps showing how you 'push' the putt, he shows his wrist broken past parallel with the forearm. Yet when he talks about how you finish, he shows the wrist straight ahead, shaking hands, still parallel with the forearm. Again, which is it...contradictions are frustrating!
Disclaimer: I have less than 24 hours experience with this. Nevertheless . . .

The key seems to be pushing the disc with the heel of your hand rather than spinning the disc with your wrist. Coordinating the leg kick, upper body thrust, and shoulder push just as you release the disc imparts power to the putt and avoids the dreaded floppy disc. I think the wrist goes from slightly closed to handshake position, imparting a touch of spin, but I am not certain.

I hope that someone with more experience in this putting style will correct any misunderstandings that I may have expressed.

Monocacy said:
The key seems to be pushing the disc with the heel of your hand rather than spinning the disc with your wrist. Coordinating the leg kick, upper body thrust, and shoulder push just as you release the disc imparts power to the putt and avoids the dreaded floppy disc. I think the wrist goes from slightly closed to handshake position, imparting a touch of spin, but I am not certain.

DISCLAIMER: I suck at drawing...terribly.

The following pic is bad, but I think (hope) it helps explain my confusion.

The putt on the left ends with the hand in the 'handshake' as explained by Feldberg. But with this, the palm is still parallel with the arm, so while you are 'pushing' forward, there would be nothing behind the disc to push with. So it would have to be done with fingers or something.

The putt on the right is how I imagine a push putt to work. With the hand extended past parallel, so that the palm is actually behind the disc, giving it something to push OFF of. But this is certainly past the handshake position.

ru1ao4.jpg

I've tried both, and both wobble. The only way I can get it to go anywhere at all, is by wagging my hand slightly closed on the downstroke, and then imparting a small snap (maybe an inch) from that slightly closed position to the handshake position. It seems to be working okay, but feel like I'm cheating the system, and it's still going to allow some misses left/right.

Latest posts