• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Dear Innova, the thing that will make you rich is:

Some of my pink Star discs are fading, as well. And some of my orange Blizzard and Star discs have been fading over time.

I stopped buying Blizzard when I saw a Teedevil in the store. The rim had these rivulets in them, literally little "ditches". Felt awful just to hold in the hand. I set the disc down and moved along...

They've gotten so bad that they don't fly right, anymore. Find one with a smooth feeling rim, and you're probably okay. Find a rough-textured one like I describe above, and there'll be no consistency to it. Not worth the effort of looking for good ones.

had a friend use a bliz katana as a "headwind disc" it was like a nuke os and 130g hahaha

If Blizzard is so bad then why not use Starlight?, oh I know it is Star plastic one of the more inconstant plastics out by Innova. Still has problems with flashing in some disc molds.

I think most brands Light plastics stink now from what I have been reading on DGCR.

Blizzard used to be much better quality, too. Now, can't risk buying it without being able to feel the texture of the rim first...

OK, I don't really want this to seem like an Innova whine-fest post. My only real gripe with Innova at this point is lack of QC, especially on blizzard discs. I agree the first blizzard discs made were nice. They looked like their heavier counterparts, but had air bubbles in the flight plate. They also happened to FLY like their heavier counterparts. That's important. Lately it seems like Innova has gotten very sloppy in molding blizzard discs. The plastic is rough textured and is some sort of rubbery styrofoam junk that has no durability and flies like crap. All the air bubbles are in the rim. Even a few of Innova's regular star and champion discs seem to have this problem. It was like they were molded in a rush out of vastly inferior plastic. Doing that cost them proper flight characteristics and durability.

I figure I've thrown about 15 different blizzard discs. A mixture of Bosses, Katanas, Destroyers, and maybe a Beast or two. I figure of those 15, 5 were decent. A properly molded blizz disc is a very viable distance driver that flies well and is durable. The junky blizzard discs we're seeing now are so flippy they're useless.

Simply put, Innova needs to beef up the QC and quit selling junky discs at premium plastic prices. Blizzard discs can be a revelation to the market, but its like Innova got too lazy with them to see the process through.

i remember when bliz first came out and people were talkin them up like they added 50 ft to their drives

now the only time i see them flying are over ponds for water discs

I actually CAN get 50' extra with a good blizzard Boss over my normal drives with heavier discs. That said, I'd still never bag one. Blizzard discs to me are somewhat of a novelty and I don't trust the flight characteristics of them enough to use them on a course. For every monster drive I get with a blizzard disc, I probably flip a couple others. They're also a total crapshoot in the wind.

Some of the very longest throws I've ever had with golf discs have been with blizzard Bosses. Like I said in my prior response, finding that pefect blizzard disc is notoriously tricky. I find the great majority of blizzard drivers to be ridiculously flippy and basically un-throwable.

My longest throws were with those Bliz Apes, but I've passed it... with the Fluid Enforcer which are now OOP.

The answer to this thread that those back in 2012 did not see coming...Bitcoin. Get in on it now Innova. Who doesn't love a currency not back by anything except the word of some dude somewhere.

OK, I don't really want this to seem like an Innova whine-fest post. My only real gripe with Innova at this point is lack of QC, especially on blizzard discs. I agree the first blizzard discs made were nice. They looked like their heavier counterparts, but had air bubbles in the flight plate. They also happened to FLY like their heavier counterparts. That's important. Lately it seems like Innova has gotten very sloppy in molding blizzard discs. The plastic is rough textured and is some sort of rubbery styrofoam junk that has no durability and flies like crap. All the air bubbles are in the rim. Even a few of Innova's regular star and champion discs seem to have this problem. It was like they were molded in a rush out of vastly inferior plastic. Doing that cost them proper flight characteristics and durability.

I figure I've thrown about 15 different blizzard discs. A mixture of Bosses, Katanas, Destroyers, and maybe a Beast or two. I figure of those 15, 5 were decent. A properly molded blizz disc is a very viable distance driver that flies well and is durable. The junky blizzard discs we're seeing now are so flippy they're useless.

Simply put, Innova needs to beef up the QC and quit selling junky discs at premium plastic prices. Blizzard discs can be a revelation to the market, but its like Innova got too lazy with them to see the process through.

Lack of QC Still and still making the Groove. Well that I guess is under Quality control. Innova should make a disc in Recycled plastic of the Grooves, send in your Champion Groves. That way stores are not stocked with non selling discs or Players who have them and want to get rid of them by recycling them this is the way to go. Just send them in, then places like big box sports stores can sell something else. I bet some big box stores get lots of returns on that disc already from players who want a disc more like the first one they threw or the player quits if they are a new player thinking all discs are like a Groove, that inconstant. Have a rare run of Recycled Champion plastic or from then on just make a Recycled Disc Program for old Champion discs, Blizzard Champion not accepted.

This thread is funny. A whole bunch of armchair quarterbacks telling the richest company in DG "the thing that will make you rich." Innova is rich as hell already. A lot of disc golf companies are regional (like Prodigy in the SE US or DC in the mid west). Innova is big in EVERY region. Every region is X company + Innova. They are widely used by experienced players as well as complete newbies. No dedicated disc golf store is without their entire lineup, and a lot of generic sporting goods stores carry nothing but Innova. They sell dirt cheap baseline plastic and expensive, boutique, small run premium plastic. Their disc lineup covers pretty much every conceivable type of disc. I'm pretty sure none of us will tell them anything they don't already know about getting rich.

(Btw, nothing I've said means that I think Innova is infallible or that they shouldn't make changes. But they have been #1 in this business for a long time now, and they seem to know what they're doing.)

This thread is funny. A whole bunch of armchair quarterbacks telling the richest company in DG "the thing that will make you rich." Innova is rich as hell already. A lot of disc golf companies are regional (like Prodigy in the SE US or DC in the mid west). Innova is big in EVERY region. Every region is X company + Innova. They are widely used by experienced players as well as complete newbies. No dedicated disc golf store is without their entire lineup, and a lot of generic sporting goods stores carry nothing but Innova. They sell dirt cheap baseline plastic and expensive, boutique, small run premium plastic. Their disc lineup covers pretty much every conceivable type of disc. I'm pretty sure none of us will tell them anything they don't already know about getting rich.

(Btw, nothing I've said means that I think Innova is infallible or that they shouldn't make changes. But they have been #1 in this business for a long time now, and they seem to know what they're doing.)

I know that, I saw what people were posting not about making Innova Rich but saying what would make your company better. They seem to have a few issues that in the 2000's they did not have as frequently. Quality Control being it, and still making the Groove. Some places like Dicks or Sports Authority not sure which only have Innova, then only carry the Groove disc in Champion, a disc Innova should not ever be making. This must be turning lots of would be new players off the sport with that disc.

Even Discraft does not have near the Quality Control problems the number 2 seller of disc golf discs in the USA and Canada.

Everyone always harps on and on here about the stupid Groove. Honestly, I don't think the Groove is any more likely to turn new players off to disc golf than a Destroyer, Boss, or any other high speed driver they don't have the arm for. My first golf disc was a Star Valkyrie and that dived left after 150 feet for me just like any other disc I was not yet capable of throwing. Amazingly, new players seem to keep coming into this sport and enjoying it despite the fact that there isn't a DGCR disc police at every big box store making sure that all they have to throw for the first year are Comets and Polecats...

Everyone always harps on and on here about the stupid Groove. Honestly, I don't think the Groove is any more likely to turn new players off to disc golf than a Destroyer, Boss, or any other high speed driver they don't have the arm for. My first golf disc was a Star Valkyrie and that dived left after 150 feet for me just like any other disc I was not yet capable of throwing. Amazingly, new players seem to keep coming into this sport and enjoying it despite the fact that there isn't a DGCR disc police at every big box store making sure that all they have to throw for the first year are Comets and Polecats...

As much as I hate the Groove, I'll agree with this. When I was new I obviously didn't know one disc from another. A Groove or Destroyer would have flown equally poorly for me. I think a lot of new/rec players don't really care what they throw. They'll buy a disc based on name or color. I can't come up with any other explanation for finding so many speed 13-14 drivers in the lake on 250' or less holes.

The only thing I can fathom is that Innova pressed like 6980000000 Grooves and had to find some way to move them. That way was shipping them to every Dick's sporting good store in America.

As much as I hate the Groove, I'll agree with this. When I was new I obviously didn't know one disc from another. A Groove or Destroyer would have flown equally poorly for me. I think a lot of new/rec players don't really care what they throw. They'll buy a disc based on name or color. I can't come up with any other explanation for finding so many speed 13-14 drivers in the lake on 250' or less holes.

The only thing I can fathom is that Innova pressed like 6980000000 Grooves and had to find some way to move them. That way was shipping them to every Dick's sporting good store in America.

If Dick's was stupid enough to accept the shipment without the ability to return unsold stock, that is on them. They are notorious for this with ball golf equipment. Over buy junk to get a good discount, then you just have junk for years.

If Dick's was stupid enough to accept the shipment without the ability to return unsold stock, that is on them. They are notorious for this with ball golf equipment. Over buy junk to get a good discount, then you just have junk for years.

The Dick's Sportings Goods people don't know the ins and outs of a lot of the stuff they sell. Their purchasing agents in their national HQ might not know what the best golf equipment and golf balls are. They certainly have no idea when Innova tells them "oh yeah, the Groove is a great disc! We're selling them at a discount."

I'll give Academy great credit... they're selection of discs has become much better. Beginner friendly discs, just some basic putters, mids, drivers, a lot less crap, and choices of Innova, Discraft, and DD. Also, starter packs in abundance. At least the two nearest Academy Sports to me that have done that.

The nearest Dick's? The one nearest me appears to be discontinuing selling DG discs at all. Sad, but I'd rather them sell nothing than sell Grooves...

I really doubt Dicks pays much attention to which discs Innova sends them. They actually do stock some OK discs, but I've never NOT seen Grooves there.

The way Dicks sets up their disc display I just don't think they put much into it. They get a random 50 or so discs and set them on a rack amidst all the other frisbees and other related objects.

Good discs can be had there, but you have to dig through all the racks of Grooves to find them.:D

I'll give Academy great credit... they're selection of discs has become much better. Beginner friendly discs, just some basic putters, mids, drivers, a lot less crap, and choices of Innova, Discraft, and DD. Also, starter packs in abundance. At least the two nearest Academy Sports to me that have done that.

Yeah beginners really need tyedye Freedoms and those crappy Prime discs. Academy lost my respect when they pulled Millennium. JLS, Polaris, Omega those are great discs beginners should use.

I really doubt Dicks pays much attention to which discs Innova sends them. They actually do stock some OK discs, but I've never NOT seen Grooves there.

The way Dicks sets up their disc display I just don't think they put much into it. They get a random 50 or so discs and set them on a rack amidst all the other frisbees and other related objects.

Good discs can be had there, but you have to dig through all the racks of Grooves to find them.:D

My parents when on a trip were looking for a disc for me for Christmas places while at the state Greenhouse growers convention, parents own a greenhouse and landscape business since December 2015. were looking at a Dicks to find a disc and all they had were Dominators and Bosses, with Grooves too as well as some unknown brand that only makes a starter set that I have seen at other Big Box Sports stores too. Then they go to Sheel's Sporting Goods, A regional big box sports store and all they had from all the brands were the starter sets and a few novelty disc golf discs, it was the off season so Sheel's often does not stock up on that stuff in the off season and Might even make room for winter sports same with most other sports except those done year round like running or mountain/trail biking. They got me a novelty Putter Not PDGA Approved, the one that has the light in it, looks like a Hydra from Sheel's.

I found on Amazon the Disc I really wanted a Shark 3 176 grams in only plastic it comes in. I liked the feel of the disc so much I got a second one same wight range 173-177 grams and got a 176 gram one without having thrown them. I did try the Shark one time and they flew like I thought they should like a beadless ROC even with same glide though the speed was like the Shark not one higher, I think it is a marketing gimmick.

I actually went into my local Dick's (5 minutes away) last week and thumbed through all the discs, probably 80-100. I did not see a single Groove. I saw Destroyers, Wraiths, Valks, Roc3s, Aviars, and more. I honestly don't recall seeing a single Groove though. The last Dick's I went to before that (a couple months ago, different store probably 15 minutes away) I saw a few Grooves, but no more than Destroyers or Wraiths. Neither of them had any Bosses that I recall. I don't know if it's just the Dick's on the west side of Portland are better than the rest of the country or what, but I don't really see the boatloads of Grooves around here that everyone else seems to see.

Around these parts, it seems the Dart, Wolf, Groove, Monarch and Blizzard Boss era ended a couple of years ago.

They seem to carry more mainstream popular molds now.

Funny thing is, in all the Dick's I have ever been in, I have never seen a fairway driver.:confused: Just high speed, Mids and putters.

I actually went into my local Dick's (5 minutes away) last week and thumbed through all the discs, probably 80-100. I did not see a single Groove. I saw Destroyers, Wraiths, Valks, Roc3s, Aviars, and more. I honestly don't recall seeing a single Groove though. The last Dick's I went to before that (a couple months ago, different store probably 15 minutes away) I saw a few Grooves, but no more than Destroyers or Wraiths. Neither of them had any Bosses that I recall. I don't know if it's just the Dick's on the west side of Portland are better than the rest of the country or what, but I don't really see the boatloads of Grooves around here that everyone else seems to see.

I think Grooves were more popular a couple years ago. I definitely remember going to Dicks and seeing literally 12+ Grooves at a time. Last time I was at Dicks there were more Katanas, Wraiths, Daedaluses, etc. A beginner could build a decent bag with discs from Dicks if he had half a clue what he was looking for.

They usually have at least a dozen factory dyed discs on hand too. All for $19.99.:doh: