• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

I've found that 5-10 Camp Four shoes are an excellent shoe for wet conditions and rougher terrain. They work great on wet concrete pads, way better the Keen shoes I have or any other shoes I've tried. Another great feature is the molded heel - the upper doesn't separate from the sole. A problem that I encounter all the time.

Here is a link:

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/40-camp-four

And pic:

40_450101_1260004142.jpg

$20 Payless sneakers, FTW!

I trash 'em for a few months and get new ones!! I'm always wearing the latest fashion from Payless!

Loki WISHES he could be as fresh as me!

Are they the ones with the lights and dinosaurs on them? :D

It tried to get some of these in my size but they didn't have them.

But now no one will be able to see you on the course at night and won't be able to yell fore if a disc is headed for your brains!

But now no one will be able to see you on the course at night and won't be able to yell fore if a disc is headed for your brains!

I'm constantly singing "Flight of the Valkyries" whenever I'm playing, so they'll be able to tell where I am.

I just got some Merrell CTR Cruisers.. picked them up for 40.00 at a discount store. They are awesome so far! Not sure about how waterproof they are but they are great in dry/damp weather.

Does anyone know where I can buy a pair of size 13 bites? I have looked for over a week now and can not find a site with them. Or maybe some other 25-30$ shoe?

Here are my experiences with shoes. Thus far I've only used skate shoes and Vibrams on the course. Skate shoes are nice on the teepads and extremely durable, but they suck for traction on grass and stuff, especially if it's wet.

I got my first ace last season wearing my Vibram KSO's. They are awesome because of the natural feel, but stepping on rocks and roots takes some getting used to. Eventually I stopped playing in them because I didn't want to wear them out so fast, and I had just bought them. I retired them to gym use only.

Yesterday I decided to go back to Vibrams, despite their potential for quick wear. I bought the new Komodo Sports, which have a a slightly thicker rubber sole, and a little padding on the inside as well. These should be better out on the course. Hopefully I'll get to trial them soon, spring has finally sprung here but it's raining today :(

Komodo14.jpg

Komodo13.jpg

Komodo22.jpg

Komodo12.jpg

I saw the Merrels with the Gortex at REI yesterday. They have them for $125 and look and feel bad ass

Since it's been getting warmer out (but still extremely wet) around here, I decided I wanted to get a new pair of waterproof shoes that wouldn't be quite as heavy as my Merrell Isotherms. Stopped by REI since I had a coupon and picked up a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid GTX Ultra hiking boots (seriously, could they make that name any longer?).

These things are honestly just about the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn. They feel a lot more like a trail runner than a hiking boot, but have the ankle support of a boot that the lowtop version lacks. Compared to any of my other boots (and most of my shoes for that matter), they weigh almost nothing. As long as the waterproofing holds up well, I think I've found my new favorite shoes to play in.

Being as indecisive as I am, I also just ordered a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. Once I get a chance to use these and the Komodo Sports out on the course, I'll report back with more info.

merrell-mens-moab-ventilator-trainers_1757.jpg

back in November I got a pair of Keen Newport Trail boots from Zappos.com for the winter months. Cost was $110 shipped with free returns.
http://www.zappos.com/keen-newport-trail-brindle-black

6219-440905-p.jpg

6219-440905-2.jpg

Pros: water proof, comfy, good grip but not spectacular, warm, wide toe box

Cons: maybe not quite high enough, snow sometimes got in form the top, but this is solvable with some good pants, heavy, sole is a bit stiff.

overall I'm very happy with these, they are waterproof, warm, and fit my wide foot well. Its hard to complain to much about a stiff sole when you are talking about a boot, and cold rubber in the winter. also, I had to go with a 14, while i usually wear a 13.

I played in these about once a week from November through February, and they still look great with no visible signs of wear.

just got a pair of Merrell Chameleons for my birthday, so far they are the most comfortable shoe i have ever put on, and wore them for one round and the traction was fantastic, Ill report back on those after some more use. as with the Keens, I had to go with a 14, while i usually wear a 13.
8521-929050-p.jpg

Last edited:
just got a pair of Merrell Chameleons for my birthday, so far they are the most comfortable shoe i have ever put on, and wore them for one round and the traction was fantastic, Ill report back on those after some more use. as with the Keens, I had to go with a 14, while i usually wear a 13.
8521-929050-p.jpg

It's a great shoe, but (IMO) not a good disc golf shoe - especially if you throw from concrete tee pads. I have worn Chameleons for the past 8 months - about 4 months ago my right sole developed a crack. I have still continued playing with them, but now the sole, at the front, is starting to come off.

I am sure much of this also depends on one's throwing technique. I am a RHBH, so the wear of planting on that foot has taken it's toll on the shoe. Maybe if you flick, it won't have that kind of wear.

It is sad, because it is an extremely sturdy, waterproof and non-constricting shoe - really a perfect combination. I am in the market now for something with a flatter sole/tread on the bottom. Good luck!

I played 10 rounds last week in my merrell moab gtx and the grip is amazing. Also, they are no heavier than a pair of sneakers. Great shoe so far.