• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Describing What a perfect shot feels like

jgros079

I've been doing a lot of research in to the mental game of disc golf and ball golf in the hopes of improving my game.

I read a recent article (a ball golf one, but still very applicable) that talked about how over analysis of a shot (in words) can actually lead to a symptom called "analysis paralysis" - where you focus so much on what's going on in your shot that u botch it. The article told players to focus instead on what a perfect shot feels like - to try and mimic that feeling.

So here it goes folks, what does that shot feel like to you? the least descriptive the better, for our sake and yours (so they say) :)

Effortless sling of momentum through a window.

All I can say is that my best throws feel effortless. ( and look it too, from what the guys on my cart say )

I read a recent article (a ball golf one, but still very applicable) that talked about how over analysis of a shot (in words) can actually lead to a symptom called "analysis paralysis" - where you focus so much on what's going on in your shot that u botch it. The article told players to focus instead on what a perfect shot feels like - to try and mimic that feeling.

There are two well-articulated schools of thought in traditional golf. One focuses on technique; players go through a mental checklist before each shot, e.g. knees flexed: check, left arm straight: check, hands forward: check, etc. The other focuses only on visualization of the desired shot. I'm in the latter camp, and only think about technique if I'm practicing.

There are two well-articulated schools of thought in traditional golf. One focuses on technique; players go through a mental checklist before each shot, e.g. knees flexed: check, left arm straight: check, hands forward: check, etc. The other focuses only on visualization of the desired shot. I'm in the latter camp, and only think about technique if I'm practicing.

Ya, I have to agree with this!! My initial thought was visualizing the line I want and letting the disc fly that route. When it's perfect, it's like the disc does it all by itself. Heck, I go to sleep at night visualizing certain lines on certain holes and feeling that perfect release!!

Thing is, the whole point of the first school of thought is to get your body to a point where you don't need to think about to technique and you simply let your muscle memory take care of it. It works for analytical people that can't help but think about everything. The second school is more for folks that have to feel there way to success. Essentially it's the difference between tuning a guitar with an auto tuner and a manual, and tuning it by ear.

Thing is, the whole point of the first school of thought is to get your body to a point where you don't need to think about to technique and you simply let your muscle memory take care of it. It works for analytical people that can't help but think about everything. The second school is more for folks that have to feel there way to success. Essentially it's the difference between tuning a guitar with an auto tuner and a manual, and tuning it by ear.

I like to do alot of analytical thinking about the throws during practice and field work, but try to keep it out of the head during rounds and just feel the throw. Somewhere in between the two schools it seems.

I don't need to think about technique much anymore for ball golf, just imagine the shot and let it rip. Disc golf I need technique like woah still. My muscle memory and "natural" throw is crap so I can't just feel it out.

I don't need to think about technique much anymore for ball golf, just imagine the shot and let it rip. Disc golf I need technique like woah still. My muscle memory and "natural" throw is crap so I can't just feel it out.

muscle memory is all about knowing your "clubs" , if you dont know your discs you cant have muscle memory.

even if you cant throw your discs well at least know them.

once you know them you can figure out whats not working.

muscle memory also goes hand in hand with the blind eye, if that helps:D

It almost feels like you are being pulled by the disc, rather than you throwing it.

and also:

images

Feels like sublime bliss. You've seen the shot in your mind's eye, you execute it flawlessly and the instant it leaves your fingertips you know. Then your eyes are glued to that perfect flight and you have that sweet, sweet smile that you can't help.