• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destination cities for quality AND quantity?

I've been pretty happy with all the courses in Charlotte or just outside the city- Winthrop is just across the border in SC, Rennaisance, Hornets nest, nevin, r.l. Smith, bradford, bracketts bluff, the list goes on and on

The thing about a big city destination and a camper is, it's pretty tough to find a convenient campground. They don't tend to be centrally located in urban areas. So you're likely to cut the town in half, camping on the outskirts and close to the courses on that side of town, but a tough commute to the ones on the other side.

Charlotte's a great disc golf city, of course, but depending on your taste you may find it has a lot of good and very good, but not so much great or dazzling. Also, it favors those who love playing heavily wooded courses.

Besides all the courses in the Cincy area, Dayton is 45mins north, Columbus is 2 hours north, Louisville and Lexington is 1.5 hours south. They all have great courses.

I'd have to agree with Garublador. The Twin City - Des Moines Metro - KC trifecta would be a great mash up. All three have top notch courses that rival anything in the top 25 of DGCR (They just don't have the fan boys on here pumping up the rating numbers).

I'd have to agree with Garublador. The Twin City - Des Moines Metro - KC trifecta would be a great mash up. All three have top notch courses that rival anything in the top 25 of DGCR (They just don't have the fan boys on here pumping up the rating numbers).

I put the twin cities on my list of great destinations, but I don't agree that they have absolute top notch courses. What they do have is some really nicely manicured courses with great amenities, which appeals to a lot of people. I'd say that two of the top rated courses there (BRP and Bryant) are overrated currently because of that. There are a ton of good to great courses there, just not any in my personal top 25.

Austin, Minneapolis and Des Moines are good areas with high concentration of courses. I am not a fan of the overall quality of them though. Before jumping on me, I think they are great courses, just not spectacular.
Ludington, Cincy are exceptional choices. I have not played but one course in Charlotte and have not made the Highbridge pilgrimage. Portland is just too freaking far away.

I would go with Charlotte, or IDGC. Both are close to you, so less time driving and more time golfing.

Start with Charlotte since it is relatively close to you, see how you felt about that trip, then venture further on your next trip.

I put the twin cities on my list of great destinations, but I don't agree that they have absolute top notch courses. What they do have is some really nicely manicured courses with great amenities, which appeals to a lot of people. I'd say that two of the top rated courses there (BRP and Bryant) are overrated currently because of that. There are a ton of good to great courses there, just not any in my personal top 25.

And what are your top 25, if you don't mind sharing? I'd be awfully curious to know.

And what are your top 25, if you don't mind sharing? I'd be awfully curious to know.

I'm at work so I can't go through my courses list right now and I've been bad at keeping a personal top courses list. You can look at my reviews and sort by rating to get some idea, all of the ones I've rated 5 and 4.5 would be above any of the courses in the twin cities along with a handful that I haven't put in my reviews for yet.

Twin Cities metro area. Anyone that thinks Bryant and BRP are overrated is an idiot.

Yes to the first part. Disagree on the second. BRP is a really fun cool place to play with a great atmosphere and way too many flat open holes in the central field. Bryant is a beautifully manicured course with an enormous amount of effort put into infrastructure and beautification but the golf itself is intermediate level at best. It's a fantastic beginner course but that doesn't mean it's a top level course IMO.

Last edited:

I agree, lots of courses but nothing spectacular, also not in my top 25. my top 20 or so are saved as favorites on here in case you're wondering

Last edited:
From my experience Allentown, PA would be my #1 pick. Charlotte and DWF are quantity over quality, I'd take Cincy and Pittsburgh over those.

Am I really going to be the first to say Pittsburgh? Home of the 2015 Pro Worlds!!

Deer Lakes, Moraine, SRU, Knob Hill...

Ludington, MI - and Flip City is included in that general area.
The ride up US 31 takes you by a few other great courses on the way up (Whitehall, Henderson Lake to name a couple).

I was just going to say Pittsburgh! In addition to the courses there, you are only 2.5 hours from Cleveland which now boast 6 or more course in the area that are worth playing, especially Punderson, Parma, Sims, Lakeshore, Medina etc. Plus both cities (Pittsburgh & Cleveland) have other things to do making the trip worth it.

Rick G

for a week long trip starting in wilmington, i recommend these:

patapsco, iron hill
brandywine, tyler
nockamixon, jordan
(warwick in NY if time allows)
sankanac, quaker's challenge

patapsco, iron hill
stafford woods, tyler
nockamixon, jordan
(warwick in NY and greystone woods NJ if time allows)
FTFY

patapsco, iron hill
brandywine, tyler
nockamixon, jordan
(warwick in NY if time allows)

Thanks bro. I'll remember this next time I'm in Delaware. :D

Latest posts