• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Curious if Innova will ever figure out how to run swirly plastic in decent colors.

The 2020 Calvin Destroyers are the first swirly Innova discs I've seen that don't look like barf. I hope they continue with whatever changes they made there because not only do they look great, they're not unthrowable overweight beefcakes.

bought a new sockibot destroyer for xmas...168 red with a big hearbeat dome..it was great right away very long glidy...it was best thrown on high anny line...held it for a long time with a small fade finish. the wing is pretty straight..with a little concave. This is almost like a pro desyroyer...actually better cause it holds the turn. The big dome makes it magic. i have also been throwing a flat mcbeth I got 2 yrs ago. It was a brick when new but now is a good flyer with turn and small fade bh..also very good fh...this has surprised me...never used it too much and all of a sudden it is very good.

bought a new sockibot destroyer for xmas...168 red with a big hearbeat dome..it was great right away very long glidy...it was best thrown on high anny line...held it for a long time with a small fade finish. the wing is pretty straight..with a little concave. This is almost like a pro desyroyer...actually better cause it holds the turn. The big dome makes it magic. i have also been throwing a flat mcbeth I got 2 yrs ago. It was a brick when new but now is a good flyer with turn and small fade bh..also very good fh...this has surprised me...never used it too much and all of a sudden it is very good.

Innova did a good job with those Sockibot star Destroyers. I've thrown 2, and they've both been nice. They seem to be made of a better plastic blend than the Wysocki Raptor Destroyers. Less blizzardy. Good dome, above average glide, and pretty much everything you'd expect in a star Destroyer.

McBeth Destroyers definitely tended to be flatter and beefier than most. You have to absolutely massacre them to get any turn, and even then they won't hold the turn for long.

My buddy gifted these to me recently. White pfn is from maybe 2008 and is super beefy! Yellow one has a United States disc golf championship 2015 stamped on it. These worth anything or hard to come by? Excited to put em in the bag.

Attachments

• D436EFA1-2182-4E81-802E-4DDD11907DD9.jpg
    D436EFA1-2182-4E81-802E-4DDD11907DD9.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 52
My buddy gifted these to me recently. White pfn is from maybe 2008 and is super beefy! Yellow one has a United States disc golf championship 2015 stamped on it. These worth anything or hard to come by? Excited to put em in the bag.

There were two runs of those PFN Destroyers. One was penned SDS, those were domey and overstable, and probably the most beloved run of all time. The other was penned *D and was flatter and had some turn. Those are actually my personal favorites. Either are awesome and put a move on when thrown. Just make sure you do throw them.

How are you liking the halos? They feel great in the hand but I reckon they are really beefy.

That white Destroyer is probably worth close to $100 if it's in nice shape w/ no ink. Yellow one is worth much less since it's way newer.

Those old (pre Avery) Destroyers are great, though. Nice, durable plastic and the classic Destroyer flight. True to the flight numbers.

Apparently these Ricky destroyers are just as variable as others I bought an Orange 175 the other day just because I saw it and it is a lot more stable than the 168 it's a little flatter it looks like it will break into a good destroyer It is very good for 4 hands whereas the red 168 was 2 under stable right out of the Box for comparison my last Ricky That I carry is an Orange raptor 169 that has broken into a fairly under stable disc.. What is very interesting to me is my 169 Mcbeth which was absolutely a brick now has 2 years of play and it's become a very good destroyer.. Not necessarily my longest disc but very reliable shows turn and is good for both backhands and forehands.. I think I could have a perfectly good bag with 2 destroyers a roc3 3 and a putter.. Then I would add either my new barsby road runner which I love or my really beat katana for my downwind /roller spot

I have a tournament stamped Star Destroyer from 2016, and I'm wondering if it's an AJ era or McBeth. I don't remember when it switched. I'm also curious if, for example, left over unstamped AJ's received a McBeth stamp. My understanding of the evolution of the Star Destroyer stamp is as follows:
Proto
PFN
AJ 2 line
AJ 3 line
McBeth 4x
Ricky Raptor
Ricky Sockibot
Ricky 2x

I have a tournament stamped Star Destroyer from 2016, and I'm wondering if it's an AJ era or McBeth. I don't remember when it switched. I'm also curious if, for example, left over unstamped AJ's received a McBeth stamp. My understanding of the evolution of the Star Destroyer stamp is as follows:
Proto
PFN
AJ 2 line
AJ 3 line
McBeth 4x
Ricky Raptor
Ricky Sockibot
Ricky 2x

I have the benefit of being able to log into Infinite Discs and see all the orders that I have made over the years, which includes the pictures of each disc.

I had a Nov. 14, 2015 order with AJ 3-line Star Destroyers, and a Jan. 15, 2016 order with Paul McBeth Star Destroyers. So, it appears that the changeover occurred during that time period.

Last edited:
Again this stuff above is why I stick with the Champion, way less used and if you know what to look for in plastic, none of that Jolly launcher Champion, though it seems in 2018-2019 everything went that way. You need to be looking for Dome to flat top in Champion no matter the Nose/PLH height will be more like a Tee-Devil. The normal to high dome not great either unless you have the speed/power to get the disc to fly in the air.

If anyone will appreciate this it will be in this thread. I got an X-out G* Destroyer a while back at PIAS because it was cheap and I was traveling and needed a driver.

It's one of the worst looking discs production wise I have ever seen. It's near max weight, but has visible bubbles in the rim, little channels along the top that look like the pellets didn't melt completely in the injector, and as it had beat in the rim has this odd matted almost furry feel.

And it flies so good. It's the only Destroyer I can throw that looks like the way pro players throw them(backhand). It can take plenty of power, but will turn a bit and the fade is late and somewhat mellow. It's the best bad disc I've ever had.

If anyone will appreciate this it will be in this thread. I got an X-out G* Destroyer a while back at PIAS because it was cheap and I was traveling and needed a driver.

It's one of the worst looking discs production wise I have ever seen. It's near max weight, but has visible bubbles in the rim, little channels along the top that look like the pellets didn't melt completely in the injector, and as it had beat in the rim has this odd matted almost furry feel.

And it flies so good. It's the only Destroyer I can throw that looks like the way pro players throw them(backhand). It can take plenty of power, but will turn a bit and the fade is late and somewhat mellow. It's the best bad disc I've ever had.

Yeah. I have bagged some 150-158g PMcB Star Destroyers in the past. They were easy straight to turnover discs. Their look and feel were like what you are describing. The edges got fuzzy from wear. I tried sanding them with a sanding block, but the edges never would smooth out. So, I took to using nail clippers to trim all the little tags that formed on the edge, although more would quickly appear with use.
I never liked the feel of those discs. They became my beater discs that I wasn't worried about damage or loss.

I bag 170-175g Star Wraiths now, and get much the same flight without the fuzzy rims.

Proto
PFN
AJ 2 line
AJ 3 line
McBeth 4x
Ricky Raptor
Ricky Sockibot
Ricky 2x

I have the benefit of being able to log into Infinite Discs and see all the orders that I have made over the years, which includes the pictures of each disc.

I had a Nov. 14, 2015 order with AJ 3-line Star Destroyers, and a Jan. 15, 2016 order with Paul McBeth Star Destroyers. So, it appears that the changeover occurred during that time period.

I looked again, and found that I had purchased some PMcB Star Destroyers on Oct 29, 2015. This appears to be the earliest that I got these from Infinite. I don't recall if I got some as soon as they came out, or if I waited a bit.

G* Destroyers are underrated. You don't see many people throw them, but they fly great. The few I've thrown have never let me down. G* Destroyers turn a little easier than regular stars without being flippy. They glide well, and don't have such a hard late fade. For perspective, I'd rate the G* Destroyer at 12, 5, -1.5, 2. Fairly similar to a Shryke, but slightly less high speed turn and a softer late fade.

G* Destroyers are really long, too. The extra turn and softer fade mean huge S curves. I get 30-40' more with G* Destroyers than regular stars.

The only negative I've seen with G* Destroyers is that they don't do well in headwinds. They'll turn and burn.

I think the best "bad Destroyer" I've ever thrown was an absolutely mangled looking champion. The disc was beat to absolute hell, but flew great. Usually I don't like champion Destroyers much, but when you beat some of the stability out of them they get nice.

I just picked up a penned *ds factory second, they seem to be circulating around. It is a 168 and the ink is yellowing. It has a mild dome, not flat, not anywhere near pop top. The plastic is a blue with some swirl and imperfections in it and is softer than most star. Any idea of where this fits into the runs. There are a couple bubbles on the rim, but it is not a bubbled rim.

If I remember right, Innova began embossing around the beginning of 2018. So more than likely your F2 *ds is a pre-2018 McBeth.

Philo Destroyers are regular Star this year.

st-destoryer-pb-blue.jpg

Looks like decent dome.

st-destoryer-pb-blue-profile.jpg

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-destroyer-philo-brathwaite-tour-series.html

Latest posts