• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

It almost looks like an XCal with a sharper wing. I don't think I've thrown a Destroyer like that but I will keep my eyes out. Just from the profile it looks like it would hold dead straight, and what you're saying confirms that.

For fun, here's a pic of just the Brinster:

cudhcQx.jpg

Here's the Brinster compared to my old, beat in patent numbers Destroyer (I think the wing height has gotten lower as the old one has beaten in):

p8wbfWc.jpg

Here's the Brinster comared to a PFN Star XCal:

QzJnb5K.jpg

So the rim will sit lower and curve downwards more? I work at a PIAS so I can compare a bunch really easily so I think I'll just line them all up and find the one with the lowest rim.

its much easier if you have a control disc/destroyer that you know what flight it has. The control doesn't necessarily have to be super overstable or understable but something you can compare PLH to to get an idea of the disc you plan on buying.

So I'll bring my favorite destroyer/tern/ect into a store/flymart/etc with me to compare.

Not sure what others experienced with the Brinstroyers, but mine are incredibly beefy. Im curious to see what they'll be like when broken in

Not sure what others experienced with the Brinstroyers, but mine are incredibly beefy. Im curious to see what they'll be like when broken in

I posted about mine earlier today (previous page in this thread). It's definitely beefy, but workable for me. I'm guessing it will be really nice when broken in.

Hopefully you Destroyer gurus can help me out here. I've read the entire thread before buying my first Destroyer, and it left my head swimming with *DS, Destrulcans, etc...

I bought the red McBeth Destroyer in the picture earlier this year and have enjoyed throwing it once I got it broken in a bit. I just traded for the green Destroyer without really examining it, and noticed that it appears to be a totally different disc. Throwing it a couple times yesterday didn't really tell me too much about it's flight due to the 20+ mph winds we had at the time, so I'm wondering what you guys can tell me based on the profile pictures about how different in flight these two discs will end up being.

edit: image link to Dropbox didn't work. I'll get pics posted below

xx832LSSm3SnypPV8

Last edited:
Let's try this...

Yahtzee! Now that we have a working picture, any insights you guys have on the differences in flight would be appreciated...

In order to compare wing height/PLH you have to have the discs on even surface because even a slight difference in PLH often means noticable difference in flight.
To me it looks a little bit like the Destroyers that came out a couple of years ago with the top looking a lot like Discmania's Anhyzer top, but that's just a guess. Those were very overstable.

It looks like the wing is higher on the green which would make it more overstable (although I have the same caveat as walde about them not sitting on a perfectly flat surface). It also looks like green has a little more dome, maybe a pop top. If you don't know what that means, just hold the disc in both hands and depress the flight plate with your thumbs. If it depresses noticeably with a little popping sound, then it's a pop top. Typically pop top Destroyers are more overstable out of the box. However, that extra dome can also add more glide once the disc is broken in, so many Destroyer lovers seek these out. These are both Star Destroyers, not Pro or GStar, right?

Both are Star. The green has Avery's overlapping sig, but all bottom ink is worn away. What I find interesting is that the green disc actually feels larger in my grip than the red.

Both are Star. The green has Avery's overlapping sig, but all bottom ink is worn away. What I find interesting is that the green disc actually feels larger in my grip than the red.

I'm not sure exactly why it would feel larger, except that maybe it's because it's more domey? You could measure both wings with calipers. I think the last time someone reported on measuring a bunch of Star Destroyer wings, it was the Avery era and they all averaged around 2.3 cm. I wonder if anything has changed with the McBeths in that regard. Some people seem to think they've replaced at least the top mold piece although they would have had to replace the wing and bottom too to make any change to the wing width. Or there could be slight differences due to cooling and the current mixture of Star plastic.

Destroyers have been one of my go to discs since I started only 5 years ago when all I threw were champion blizzards. I recently traded a lat64 gold flow for a pro destroyer and rekindled my love for a disc with response. You throw it flat; the disc does the rest!

Destroyers have been one of my go to discs since I started only 5 years ago when all I threw were champion blizzards. I recently traded a lat64 gold flow for a pro destroyer and rekindled my love for a disc with response. You throw it flat; the disc does the rest!

Not sure what you mean by this post at all. You mean you like the Flow or the Pro Destroyer? Which did you trade for? Also have no idea what you mean by response. You throw it flat and the disc does... what? Straight to fade? Flips over and then comes back? There are so many ways to interpret your post.

Yahtzee! Now that we have a working picture, any insights you guys have on the differences in flight would be appreciated...

Green one looks more OS, potentially very OS. It's hard to say exactly because can't trust the PLH comparison on the uneven surface. But, it looks like the bottom of the wing has more of a downward/concave look rather than straight and mellow. And potentially more telling to me, is it has that rounded/snub nose on the top of the wing, whereas the red one is a straight angle all the way down the top of the wing.

I'm looking to try my first destroyer. Any suggestions on which plastic type and weight to try first? As a reference point I can consistently get my 9 speeds to 340'.

I'm looking to try my first destroyer. Any suggestions on which plastic type and weight to try first? As a reference point I can consistently get my 9 speeds to 340'.

If you want a bit of turn and some fade, basically golf line distance shots (reliable not squirrelly) then Gstar...I imagine you'd be throwing them ~350-375' when you get used to it from the speed 9. Won't be much of a wind fighter though.

If you want a bit of turn and some fade, basically golf line distance shots (reliable not squirrelly) then Gstar...I imagine you'd be throwing them ~350-375' when you get used to it from the speed 9. Won't be much of a wind fighter though.

I second this. A that distance, if you want something to go further than your 9 speeds get a GStar. A domey one with a pop top will be a little more stable whereas a flat one will be less stable for bigger distance. Alternately, you could get a Pro; they often start out more OS than GStar, but beat in faster.

I would like it to have substantially more fade than turn.

I've hit 380' most of the few times I've thrown my beat up pro boss. I just want something more stable and I've really been wanting to try a destroyer; so I thought I'd give it a try.

I would like it to have substantially more fade than turn.

I've hit 380' most of the few times I've thrown my beat up pro boss. I just want something more stable and I've really been wanting to try a destroyer; so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd say get a domey GStar or a Star then. Just be warned that most Stars will be pretty beefy for a while until you beat them up a bit. A Star probably won't go much further than your 9 speeds at first, but it'll fade a lot harder and won't be affected by the wind as much. Then as it breaks in, it will pick up glide/distance, but still not turn very much. This is the $$$ stage of Destroyer wear to me because it goes far but is still completely reliable. Then it will finally start to turn and get less reliable but gain bigger distance potential. The domey GStar I've thrown started out closer to the $$$ Star Destroyer stage, although it never had quite the glide of a beat in Star and started developing turn quicker than a Star would.

I agree with 99% of what hugheshilton just said. I haven't thrown all the variations of Destroyers, but my beat up flat star and my domey Gstar are nearly identical stability. The Gstar always had more glide and the star gets there on speed (I'll throw the Gstar in open shots and star for lower ceiling, but pretty much interchangeable). They're within 10' of each other in distance all the time, I'd say 80% of the time on a crush it's the Gstar that is a bit further out.

I'd go with domey Gstar at first, it will be a ride to the right then a consistent fade. If you torque it like crazy and have 375'+ power on it, it'll go right the whole way. I've thrown mine for a year and a half, it's still the longest disc in my bag, but it will turn into a roller on me if I really really torque it by accident. But it should be fine, like -1/1.5 flight now. It was -0.5/2.5 when brand new, but in a mellow and workable way.

Odds are if you get a star it will be very beefy and you won't enjoy it initially as your only Destroyer. My advice is get a domey Gstar, love it, and if you want a more windy day or hyzer bomb Destroyer get a star too. It'll work in alongside the Gstar and then you'll have that in the perfect wear eventually with your bomber Gstar Destroyer beside it.

A fresh OS star and a new Gstar Destroyer probably have 75' distance gap for me, not really even the same disc.

Last edited:
I've done a 180º on my initial disdain for the flippy (star tern understable) echostar destroyers. This disc has been very useful with long tunnel shots, especially with sidearm tunnel shots.

I'm LHBH dominant, but have been getting sneaky distance in the woods with a LHFH when there's a tunnel that needs to travel straight through a tight fairway and fade left for me. I used to think those sidearm hyzerflip tunnel shots over 300ft were for sidearm freaks like big Jerm* but I've been able to do it with confidence with the flippy echostar destroyer.

I don't use the echostar destroyer often (only on those shots I want to be hyzerflipped backhand/sidearm or on get out of jail escape anny flicks, or over water disc) but I'm glad I stuck with it (because I almost just cut losses sold them off).

*I've played a round with Nate Long (nashville local prodigy sponsored guy) and seen him sidearm midranges on 350-375ft holes :eek: (there are other local pros here in Nashville that do the same...sidearm putters and midranges 300-350ft through the woods) that really opened my eyes on what's possible sidearm.

Latest posts