• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Not an exact answer to your question but if you are looking for flippy destroyers look for low PLH pros (super easy to see, the wing is barely higher then bottom of the rim) and current run echo stars (the ones with the picture on the stamp)

Ok thanks, I'm not too interested in the pros just because I play almost everyday and I feel like I'd beat it in too quickly. I'll check out the echostars. However I would still love a picture of a low PLH star destroyer.

In my experience New batches of echostar destroyers,max weight,are even less stable than champ terns.

Normally I'd hate them, but a disc this easily hyzerflipped is useful for hyzerflip to turnover, uphill, over water, tunnel, etc shots especially if you already throw destroyers and want keep # of disc molds down but wanted a very understable disc (like a flippy katana/tern/etc).

If the Echostar ends up being too understable for you, try a flatter GStar. Many of them start out like a worn in Star; not quite as flippy as Echostars, but still understable enough to get a good hyzerflip out of the box. In my experience, the domey GStars are a bit more stable than the flat ones. I can try to post a pic when I get home this evening.

If the Echostar ends up being too understable for you, try a flatter GStar. Many of them start out like a worn in Star; not quite as flippy as Echostars, but still understable enough to get a good hyzerflip out of the box. In my experience, the domey GStars are a bit more stable than the flat ones. I can try to post a pic when I get home this evening.

Are E* often more US than G*, or is it just this more recent run being talked about that is super flippy? E* is more durable than G* though, correct?

(My point is I love the domey Gstar flight for my max D disc, but wouldn't mind it being slightly stiffer for better skips/slides at the end)

recent 175g echo star destroyers, I have 4, are new star tern/flippy champ tern under stable.

I don't know about current run E*. I tried E* 2 summers ago. I bought a domey red thinking it would be a bomber. It was an instaroller when thrown with any amount of power. My current run slightly soft star tern is more stable than that thing was. Every time I've seen E* brought up people seem to agree that they are super flippy, flippier than G*.

Wow, that is good to know. I have seen guys who throw a bit shorter than me turn theirs a nice/workable amount...but I wasn't sure how beat they were. Guess I need to be aware.

I don't know about current run E*. I tried E* 2 summers ago. I bought a domey red thinking it would be a bomber. It was an instaroller when thrown with any amount of power. My current run slightly soft star tern is more stable than that thing was. Every time I've seen E* brought up people seem to agree that they are super flippy, flippier than G*.

Word. The older stamp ones (with the small echo star symbol and flight numbers offset and nothing else) were straight bombers. Very little/no turn, tons of glide, moderate fade. I miss that run terribly, they were the best max range hyzer discs I've ever thrown. Its been a solid 2 or 3 years since I've seen those around tho. Seems like the stamp change coincided with a new run and everything has been flippy garbage since.

I also have a couple of G* that are a couple years old. Granted I've never used either of them as my primary distance driver, but they've both spent a fair amount of time in my bag and been used. One of them is flatter and it was flippy out of the box. Now I'd say it's close to my newer Star Tern. I can flip it from hyzer to turnover and it will hold that turnover and glide nicely right and only fade back at the very end. It's good for max distance shots where I've got a wide fairway and don't mind finishing on the right.

The other one is domey and it's always flown very true to the Destroyer numbers for my ~400 feet of power, kind of like a seasoned Star. From a flat throw, it will turn just a bit and hold that line for maybe 60% of the flight before fading back slowly to finish moderately left. Neither of them really skip all that much because they're GStar. However, I can't imagine you're going to get much of a skip out of Echostar either because in order to skip it needs to actually get some fade first. :) I hope someone will come on here and say I'm wrong at some point and that the newer run of Echostar is great, but it hasn't happened yet. I had an amazing Echostar Teebird in my bag that was just a straight laser beam from the day I got it for about a year and a half of solid use. However, Destroyers in Echostar don't seem to mold up with a high enough PLH to be very useful unless you need a roller.

I also have a couple of G* that are a couple years old. Granted I've never used either of them as my primary distance driver, but they've both spent a fair amount of time in my bag and been used. One of them is flatter and it was flippy out of the box. Now I'd say it's close to my newer Star Tern. I can flip it from hyzer to turnover and it will hold that turnover and glide nicely right and only fade back at the very end. It's good for max distance shots where I've got a wide fairway and don't mind finishing on the right.

The other one is domey and it's always flown very true to the Destroyer numbers for my ~400 feet of power, kind of like a seasoned Star. From a flat throw, it will turn just a bit and hold that line for maybe 60% of the flight before fading back slowly to finish moderately left. Neither of them really skip all that much because they're GStar. However, I can't imagine you're going to get much of a skip out of Echostar either because in order to skip it needs to actually get some fade first. :) I hope someone will come on here and say I'm wrong at some point and that the newer run of Echostar is great, but it hasn't happened yet. I had an amazing Echostar Teebird in my bag that was just a straight laser beam from the day I got it for about a year and a half of solid use. However, Destroyers in Echostar don't seem to mold up with a high enough PLH to be very useful unless you need a roller.

Depends on the run. I still have a stack of some pretty high PLH echo Destroyers from 2009 that start out overstable and beat into bombers. I also have one echo Destroyer from 2011 that is from that stupid overstable run of Destroyers that flew like FAF Firebirds. I don't even bother throwing it but I would imagine it should beat in awesome since echo beats in so fast...

I haven't seen a truly stable/overstable run of echo in several years though.

Depends on the run. I still have a stack of some pretty high PLH echo Destroyers from 2009 that start out overstable and beat into bombers. I also have one echo Destroyer from 2011 that is from that stupid overstable run of Destroyers that flew like FAF Firebirds. I don't even bother throwing it but I would imagine it should beat in awesome since echo beats in so fast...

I haven't seen a truly stable/overstable run of echo in several years though.

Yeah I think that was what PBMercil was saying too. Apparently there were some really great E* Destroyers, but it was from before I was throwing Destroyers. Too bad. It will probably all come around again eventually though.

Zipper top indeed. My older ones don't have it. Neat.

What do I think of it? Not much. I like these Destroyers :) I will buy more.

Also, check out the bottom wing of these. Along with the Barelas, they have a wing similar to Terns or the *BWR wraiths. It dips in, pretty concave, then has a convex bubble towards the outer edge of the wing.

Very different from stacks of patent number and 3 lines I have - not cooling differences!

Happen to snag a picture of a low PLH destroyer?

Thanks for reminding me! Last night did not go as planned (kids) so I didn't get it done, but I did get the pics. Here is the Destroyer itself (flat, low PLH GStar):

8SWiNfw.jpg

Here it is compared to a (lighter weight) McBeth with high PLH (McBeth on left):

GS70QrT.jpg

Here it is compared to a Brinster:

x8CEvVu.jpg

I think you can also see that the underside of the wing on that GStar is less concave, closer to an L-wing than the other two. Particularly some of the new lighter weight McBeths I've seen have a very concave wing which also increases stability.

So the rim will sit lower and curve downwards more? I work at a PIAS so I can compare a bunch really easily so I think I'll just line them all up and find the one with the lowest rim.

So the rim will sit lower and curve downwards more? I work at a PIAS so I can compare a bunch really easily so I think I'll just line them all up and find the one with the lowest rim.

Rim sits lower, and the bottom of the wing looks more straight \ rather than a concave ) if those were tilted 45 degreese counterclockwise. Also the McBeth has a rounded edge on the top of the wing, which seems to often lead to a beefy Destroyer.

That Brinster has a really squared edge...

Rim sits lower, and the bottom of the wing looks more straight \ rather than a concave ) if those were tilted 45 degreese counterclockwise. Also the McBeth has a rounded edge on the top of the wing, which seems to often lead to a beefy Destroyer.

That Brinster has a really squared edge...

That Brinster is exactly what I want out of a Destroyer. It reminds me a lot of my older patent numbers Destroyer that was my primary driver for a couple years. It's not a pop top (I don't have the arm for that level of beef), but it has a small, even dome that's not squared off like a Destrulcan. It has a high enough wing to be beefy and not turn under any amount of power I can muster without a big head wind, but it's not so beefy that I can't get workable distance out of it (unlike the old SDS pop tops I used to own which are just too beefy for me). The plastic is grippy and reasonably stiff (not quite as stiff as the SDS plastic but not flexible or floppy).

Currently my primary distance driver slot is a FR Sirius Scorpius which has always been just a bit less stable out of the box than a Star Destroyer. I'm hoping that as they both season, maybe by next year, that Brinster will become my primary distance driver and the Scorpius will get the understable slot.

It almost looks like an XCal with a sharper wing. I don't think I've thrown a Destroyer like that but I will keep my eyes out. Just from the profile it looks like it would hold dead straight, and what you're saying confirms that.