• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

determining average/handicap

adam fuhs

I want to play the ironwood open at moraine this year but was wondering how to figure out what division to join due to numbers on the sign up page i am sure i am going to join the intermediate mens division <925 but i want to know how to figure out this number for future tournys. i played there yesteday from the blues and shot 10 over took a stroke penalty and the wet ground wasnt letting my roller release to its fullest, that will get better as the ground hardens up.... the course is in great shape and with the leaves off it plays much easier weve been playing all winter due to the fact this is my home course.

You can read up on it a bit here: http://www.pdga.com/player_ratings.php (see the "more info" links). I'm pretty sure the player ratings are calculated using information from previous events you've played in but you may be able to play with some numbers to try and figure out a ballpark figure if you haven't played in a lot of PDGA tournies.

The course stats from Moraine can be found here. (when looking at the old stats be aware that the current gold tees used to be blue, and the current blues used to be white) From last year's PFDO the blues had an SSA of 61.10, which if I plug in that and your score of 76 into the PDGA's magic spreadsheet I get a rating of 886 for that round. Of course, the conditions weren't the same: the weather was likely worse for you, but the pin positions were likely easier...the number is only an estimate.
But regardless, if you haven't played a tournament at Moraine and don't know your handicap, I don't think anyone would object to you playing intermediate. Unless, of course, you happen to win :D

Hey Matt,

What is the link to the magic spreadsheet?

Yeah, Tim, I knew that was coming. Here's the link to the spreadsheet, the file can be downloaded but seems to be locked. I'm trying to remember what I did to modify it...

Last edited:
hey guys by any chance you know what time the tourny closes out sunday my daughter has her half year birthday party on sun around 5 i was wondering if i could squeeze it in thanks again .........

Latest posts