• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

Played Veterans Park in Arlington yesterday, it was definitely interesting.

Me and my fiance were down there to met our photographer for our wedding and it turns out her husband plays frequently and she comes along some time so after that we had to find Vets park (plus I had already snuck our bags in my trunk heh).

We got lost after hole 4, if it wasn't for some nice local named Brad we might still be out there looking for teepad 5!

The front 9 of that course.... wow its rough for people like me who can only throw like 250'ish. Going up and down those hills was pretty sweet for sure.

Vet is a sweet course, definitely challenging. The back 9 opens up nicely for a nice finish to what sometimes can be a rough start on the front 9.

Maybe one of you Garland folks could enlighten me as to a "Bonus" feature I discovered on Audubon Park yesterday. Behind the tee for #18 and across the street there is a house with a rather large yard. While I was about to tee off on it yesterday I hear this loud howl.

Behind me staring at us play disc golf is the Largest "dog" I've ever seen. I got a bit closer and as it turns out it was a a large Grey Wolf. I thought I might get closer and take a picture from the median, however it turns out the someone had just left the gate open, you know just in case the wolf wanted to get out and make new friends or whatever.

It appears to be someones pet as there was a large doghouse for it in the yard etc. Is that place a rescue shelter or is it legal in Garland to own wolves?
It was probably a wolf hybrid and apparently if you have a permit it's fine.

Sorry ATX, DFW is where it's at. I came up to play Towne Lake and both Cedar Hill courses to gear up for Cedar Hill Chill and Towne Lake Open. Awesome courses, awesome locals. I left a wasp at Towne Lake and lost a Fuse at Beaver, got a phone call on both this morning. Keep it up DFW, really looking forward to the 18th and 19th!

Sorry ATX, DFW is where it's at. I came up to play Towne Lake and both Cedar Hill courses to gear up for Cedar Hill Chill and Towne Lake Open. Awesome courses, awesome locals. I left a wasp at Towne Lake and lost a Fuse at Beaver, got a phone call on both this morning. Keep it up DFW, really looking forward to the 18th and 19th!

BOOM.

ive been saying that the entire 2 yrs ive been playing since i moved here from atx and all.

Good call on cheery cheek. Worth the hour drive. Standing water from the rain but no mud. +6 from the blues, even on the whites with Haleigh two back.
I want to try and get in four more new courses soon to get up to 100 played. The frisco course when it opens, utd because it is close to home. Need to figure out the other two. Maybe a drive to Arkansas for #100 to have played in 10 states. Haleigh is already at 10 states.

Glad you enjoyed it, shoot me a PM next time you want to play and I'll see if I can meet you out there to play a round. I'm not nearly as good (normally shoot +8 from the whites) but always look forward to playing with DG peeps.

Glad you enjoyed it, shoot me a PM next time you want to play and I'll see if I can meet you out there to play a round. I'm not nearly as good (normally shoot +8 from the whites) but always look forward to playing with DG peeps.

Will do but I'll probably never go back now that I've checked it off as played. Great park, just too long of a day for our little one. And so many other courses to check out. Maybe if we play ut tyler and hit cherry creek on the way home.

Anyone know if ut tyler can be played with a baby jogger stroller?

Any of you know anything about the course in Victoria Park in Irving?

We've been doing a Spring Texas Trip for a long time, and many years ago we played a DFW course that was relatively boring. I seem to remember it being set on a large hillside, with moderately scattered trees that weren't all that large (this would have been maybe '98ish). I don't even recall if it was 9 or 18 holes, as I was on about an 8-day Shiner haze.

Could this have been Victoria Park? Any other candidates for what it might have been?

Thanks!

We've been doing a Spring Texas Trip for a long time, and many years ago we played a DFW course that was relatively boring. I seem to remember it being set on a large hillside, with moderately scattered trees that weren't all that large (this would have been maybe '98ish). I don't even recall if it was 9 or 18 holes, as I was on about an 8-day Shiner haze.

Could this have been Victoria Park? Any other candidates for what it might have been?

Thanks!

I havn't played it but it sounds like the 9 hole W.O. Harrington in Irving. It is sort of inside the DFW airport area.

Yeah, it's not WO Harrington, since it was built in 2005, although the pictures look sorta similar to my fuzzy recollection of wherever it was we played.

We keenly remember Fritz, Vets, Audobon, and BBOwen, but for whatever reason aren't 100% on this other mystery course.

Yeah, it's not WO Harrington, since it was built in 2005, although the pictures look sorta similar to my fuzzy recollection of wherever it was we played.

We keenly remember Fritz, Vets, Audobon, and BBOwen, but for whatever reason aren't 100% on this other mystery course.

No idea. I just played my home course and didn't do any traveling around back then. Perhaps DGRZ will see this and know. If not you could send a pm to Pizza God. Both those guys have been playing in the area for a while and make it a point to play all the courses.

ok, after I wrote that I looked at Pizza God's profile. You are correct that Victoria park had a course. Both 9 & 18 at different times. Don't know what it looked like though.

Maybe I should have looked a little harder at my hard drive -- I'm a digital hoarder!! For your amusement, here are my notes from the 1997 trip (I guess it was indeed Victoria):
"
Fresh from six days in Austin and more, the following are my reviews
of several courses I had a chance to play. Wouldn't it be cool to
have a review/rating system attached to the Course Directory where
players could give their reviews and rate each course? That way,
when you're going to go play a course, you could get several opinions
as well as an average rating. Volunteers?

Round Rock - Disc Golf the way it should be. That is, not all
drive-putt, drive-putt. Yes, there could be more trees. Also,
with a course that long, it could stand more restrooms. Despite
popular lore, I had an entire day of nearly calm winds. I (and 3
others) played 5 rounds that day. According to John Houck, "that
may be some sort of record". Oh, and the lake was up, so 17 was
really in the water (played to 1 instead), 16 was really close, and
2 and 4 were pretty close. Overall, I give it a 9.

Pease (Austin) - A cool course with lots of shot variety. Really
crowded on the weekend. After rains in mid-week, crossing the stream
was pretty difficult. Again, not enough restrooms. I don't remember
any tee signs. I give it an 8.

Circle C (Austin) - Another nice course with good shot variety. Was
I drinking too much or are there not many facilities in Texas? One
basket was missing (17). I give it a 7.

Searight (Austin) - Short and tight. Lots of similar shots. Course
was in some disrepair with missing tee signs and some trash. Okay
to play but seemed like I might tire of it quickly. As much as I
say this course is short and easy and sucks, I never seem to shoot
well there. Hmmmmmmm. I give it a 5.

Zilker (Austin) - Only the tee pad 9 were set up. Okay course for
what they had to work with. Okay shot variety. The tee pads are
great. Automatic 1 point deduction for only 9 holes. It gets a 5.

San Marcos - Good course for what they had to work with. Good shot
variety. Some interesting shots, but a little too close to busy
streets, buildings, and parking garages. Only got to play 2 rounds
so I'd like to give it more of a chance. I'll give it a 6.

Veteran's Park (Arlington) - Ick. What a bad experience. It looks
like a great park for a disc golf course, but what a sorry attempt
at it. 4 (4!) baskets were missing. Many tee signs were gone, making
navigation for newcomers next to impossible. Cement tee pads were
really short and raised about 2 inches above the surrounding ground.
Fairways too close in some spots (were we *supposed* to walk through
the 2nd fairway to get to the ninth tee?). It gets a 4.

Fritz (Irving) - A nice, flat, 9-hole course. Creek was up, so
that made errant throws a little worse. Not a lot of variety, but
still fun to play. Tee pads a little too short. Area seemed flooded
and drainage was not good. I give it a 5.

Victoria (Irving) - Pretty hilly, fairly long 9-hole course. No
tee signs, but we found our way around. Only played one round, so
I don't have much more to say. It gets a 5.
"

Thanks!

If you also played around a small lake surrounded by hills, it may have been Victoria.

Veteran's Park (Arlington) - Ick. What a bad experience. It looks
like a great park for a disc golf course, but what a sorry attempt
at it. 4 (4!) baskets were missing. Many tee signs were gone, making
navigation for newcomers next to impossible. Cement tee pads were
really short and raised about 2 inches above the surrounding ground.
Fairways too close in some spots (were we *supposed* to walk through
the 2nd fairway to get to the ninth tee?). It gets a 4.

Weird. I have never seen a single basket missing from Vet....

I do agree that its hard to navigate if you haven't played it though..you need a map.

Weird. I have never seen a single basket missing from Vet....

I do agree that its hard to navigate if you haven't played it though..you need a map.

That was 1997. I think there must have been park renovation going on. Two years later it was pretty awesome.

Will do but I'll probably never go back now that I've checked it off as played. Great park, just too long of a day for our little one. And so many other courses to check out. Maybe if we play ut tyler and hit cherry creek on the way home.

Anyone know if ut tyler can be played with a baby jogger stroller?

My buddy and I have been dying to check out Tyler, they have 5 courses (one park has 3 courses alone), so we might make a day of it.

Latest posts