• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG max wax

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
https://dgmaxwax.com/products/snap-stick-by-dg-max-wax

I tried this for first round today and it works great for grip. My hands get dry and I had to keep wetting my fingers for grip. This stuff fixes this issues and I can put it exactly where I want and only those areas stay tacky. Applied about 3 times over a round and grip felt great. I highly recommend. It has a strong smell, which to me smells like citronella but the company said is eucalyptus. Smell easily washes off.

I too have dry hands and occasionally struggle with grip. Thanks for the review.

I have DryV BagZ The Marker, and use it occasionally. It works great and I thought I'd use it more often. It's a wax mini to wipe grip on your fingers and also use as a mini marker.

https://dgmaxwax.com/products/snap-stick-by-dg-max-wax

I tried this for first round today and it works great for grip. My hands get dry and I had to keep wetting my fingers for grip. This stuff fixes this issues and I can put it exactly where I want and only those areas stay tacky. Applied about 3 times over a round and grip felt great. I highly recommend. It has a strong smell, which to me smells like citronella but the company said is eucalyptus. Smell easily washes off.

Nice, haven't for some reason bothered with anything like this yet. Probably worth a shot especially as it gets colder out.

I use chalk which can be messy. I'm curious what the melting temp is for the wax things. I live in Arizona, so I could see putting the Max Wax in a bag and using it....but, with temps over 100 degrees, would it just start getting really soft and unusable?

I use chalk which can be messy. I'm curious what the melting temp is for the wax things. I live in Arizona, so I could see putting the Max Wax in a bag and using it....but, with temps over 100 degrees, would it just start getting really soft and unusable?

They make a bigger mini marker size puck of wax and one of the reviews mentioned melting. In the warm temps my sweat creates a tackiness in combination with innova grip sack so i doubt ill need this in the summer. I was checking out some of the baseball tacks on amazon. One seems to be a clear pine formulation which I was considering.

My buddy got the puck form factor and really liked it, but it does get too soft in the middle of an NC summer. He solved that problem for himself by stuffing it into a fairly deep mini he already had that just happened to be the exact right size.

Personally, I really, really like the "Snap Stick" that they sell. It's in a tube with a twistable height adjustment. It looks and works just like a chapstick. I stick it in my pocket and it's then always available. Even made it through the washer and dryer just fine, so even the hottest summer should be OK as long as you don't do something like leave it on your car dash.

A couple of other things:
- it does get a little too hard when it is cold. Popping it in your pocket solves that problem. More of an issue on adjusting the snap stick as it doesn't really affect the application of it too much
- it works great as a grip aid when deadlifting
- it actually makes the chalk work better when deadlifting
- chalk creates a kind of patina on the surface of the MaxWax which makes it harder to apply
- it also works great when things are slightly moist, and slightly moistening your hands works even better in between reapplication of the MaxWax
- Nick (the pro from the Nick and Matt show) has said that it's not really the solution if your hand is full on wet. I haven't really experimented with that

They make a bigger mini marker size puck of wax and one of the reviews mentioned melting. In the warm temps my sweat creates a tackiness in combination with innova grip sack so i doubt ill need this in the summer. I was checking out some of the baseball tacks on amazon. One seems to be a clear pine formulation which I was considering.

I use that wax puck. It was in my black car all summer and it's just fine. On the hottest days it is softer - still with integrity but if I wanted to I could probably bend it. It does not melt like the crayons my kids left in the door handles…

In winter I carry Aquaphor hand lotion. (Mostly because it comes in a small tube.) A very little (pea sized blob) before a round lasts the entire round.

Last edited:
In winter I carry Aquaphor hand lotion. (Mostly because it comes in a small tube.) A very little (pea sized blob) before a round lasts the entire round.

I had to go to the pharmacy so I bought a small tube and I'll try it next round. I test it a little and I think it could work. The real test will be when I'm outdoor, my hands get very dry even in summer unless it's very hot and humid.

I had to go to the pharmacy so I bought a small tube and I'll try it next round. I test it a little and I think it could work. The real test will be when I'm outdoor, my hands get very dry even in summer unless it's very hot and humid.

Do your finger tips split? Mine did until my dermatologist recommended an exfoliating lotion. He said my skin was too thick. Sadly I overused it and it took my callouses off. Now I use it about once a week.

Do your finger tips split? Mine did until my dermatologist recommended an exfoliating lotion. He said my skin was too thick. Sadly I overused it and it took my callouses off. Now I use it about once a week.
No split for me, no thick skin either just very dry hands and rashes sometime. I lost pigmentation on my hands and I have cold hands and feet most of the time. When I'm outdoor my hands dry quickly and it's like my disc are cover with silk.

So it's always a battle to get a good grip but I figure out a few ways now but I'm always looking for new tricks.

I have really dry hands and used to have issues with the skin splitting at the corners of my fingernails each winter. That was when I was working on a receiving dock though. Now that I'm a desk jockey, no more splits. Hands are still dry and I still struggle getting a good grip on a disc in most conditions though.

I'll probably pass on the Aquaphor (thought you were supposed to put the lotion in the bucket?), but the wax has me interested. My solution to grip issues has been to throw all baseline or pro plastic as I usually get a much better grip on those types of plastic. Would be way easier to fill the overstable slots in the bag if I could throw champ plastic though.

That was when I was working on a receiving dock though. Now that I'm a desk jockey, no more splits.

Sadly I didn't get put on to the exfoliating lotion till after I retired from outdoor work. The guys I left behind have thanked me though.

I'll probably pass on the Aquaphor (thought you were supposed to put the lotion in the bucket?), but the wax has me interested. My solution to grip issues has been to throw all baseline or pro plastic as I usually get a much better grip on those types of plastic.

Yeah, I go more baseline in the winter too. But any moisture in my hands helps.

For me this year, I was just using a damped towel to get some moisture on my finger tips (instead of licking my fingers). It works fine but once you start you have to do it before every throw because it dries the skin even more after a while.

What I don't like with that is it makes my grip more sticky than gripy. It's the same with the wax but being in Canada the wax mini gets hard and dry quickly but I should try the wax stick eventually.

I tried the Aquaphor lotion yesterday, a bit greasy at first but I used some chalk right after to get rid of that greasy feeling and it works ok. It seems a bit better than the fingertip moistoner I bought in office depot but like with lotion, it works best with chalk too.

I've played with gloves before too, in fact almost all of 2021, with decent results but it's hard to not second guess the glove every bad throw.

Last edited:
I found "Secret Stuff" liquid chalk for Friction Labs this year and it worked great. I like the max wax, but this stuff lasted longer per application.

I understand some people talk about using the max wax as a mini marker - sounds convenient, but I would think that it would get really dirty really fast....

Latest posts