• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

A copperhead is one of the best snakes to have around. It won't bite you unless it has to (cornered or stepped on for example) and is great at reducing vermin. I've seen them on courses in the DFW area. If you stand still and look at them for over 5 seconds, they will slither or swim away... so you can get your disc.

I would much rather have a non-venomous black rat snake than a Copperhead on my course any day of the week. And I say this having been bitten and musked several times over the years.

I have a friend that lost a leg due to a copperhead bite when he was a kid. Pretty sure I won't be messing with one if I find it.

A rattle on a rattlesnake is made of keratin. The same as your fingernails.

A copperhead is one of the best snakes to have around. It won't bite you unless it has to (cornered or stepped on for example) and is great at reducing vermin. I've seen them on courses in the DFW area. If you stand still and look at them for over 5 seconds, they will slither or swim away... so you can get your disc.

It's not a great disc to have around a place where people walk around in the weeds and all over the place like the fairway of a disc golf course. They will accidentally get cornered and stepped on. No amount of animal loving justifies not relocating a dangerous animal in a place with a lot of human traffic.

all i know, is if i had seen it, i would have been screaming and running the other way with my skort hiked up

It's not a great snake to have around a place where people walk around in the weeds and all over the place like the fairway of a disc golf course. They will accidentally get cornered and stepped on. No amount of animal loving justifies not relocating a dangerous animal in a place with a lot of human traffic.
I see your point, but strongly disagree with you on this. Relocating a venomous snake from a high traffic area to a low traffic area seems best for both snake and people... in theory. With a snake on/near the fairway, there is a possibility of interaction with a human... probably a relatively small one at that. Of the interactions that do occur, chances are either the snake or the person is likely to see the other first and avoid a bad situation altogether. I think relatively few will involve actual physical contact.

I attempting to move the snake, there's a 100% chance of snake/human interaction, that involves physical contact, which greatly increases the likelihood of t ending badly for the human, the snake, or both. Good chance if a person gets bit trying to relo the snake, whomever they're with smashes its skull with the nearest available branch before they help the victim. For every person who can handle one safely, there's a probably 100 who can't... even the "experts" get bit every now and then.

Snakes are pretty good at avoiding confrontation. I think both snake and human are best if we just let them be. If there's a reasonable amount of traffic, snakes will eventually say, " Eff it, I'm outta here! I'll find some place were these neanderthals don't scare all the little woodland critters away."

Last edited:
Good little copperhead. I wouldn't advise picking one up, but given my past adventure I have no room to talk. I see them all the time, and every time if you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.

My pals and I saw what we thought was a copperhead while playing at The Scrapyard in Charlotte, NC. One of our discs landed right next to it. Those guys are super difficult to spot, the blend in so well.

I see your point, but strongly disagree with you on this. Relocating a venomous snake from a high traffic area to a low traffic area seems best for both snake and people... in theory. With a snake on/near the fairway, there is a possibility of interaction with a human... probably a relatively small one at that. Of the interactions that do occur, chances are either the snake or the person is likely to see the other first and avoid a bad situation altogether. I think relatively few will involve actual physical contact.

I attempting to move the snake, there's a 100% chance of snake/human interaction, that involves physical contact, which greatly increases the likelihood of t ending badly for the human, the snake, or both. Good chance if a person gets bit trying to relo the snake, whomever they're with smashes its skull with the nearest available branch before they help the victim. For every person who can handle one safely, there's a probably 100 who can't... even the "experts" get bit every now and then.

Snakes are pretty good at avoiding confrontation. I think both snake and human are best if we just let them be. If there's a reasonable amount of traffic, snakes will eventually say, " Eff it, I'm outta here! I'll find some place were these neanderthals don't scare all the little woodland critters away."

Agreed. My thought is that if I see on snake, there are probably dozens more in the area, and removing it---or killing it---aren't likely to make much difference in the odds of a snake-human encounter.

I'm curious as to how territorial snakes are, and how far they roam. I suspect that the opposite of your last paragraph is also true; that if it's a good environment for snakes, you'll have snakes, and if you remove some, others with move in. But I don't really know.

I do think it's a good idea to publicize it locally, just to remind people to be extra vigilant. I know that after a series of copperheads were spotted in the woods alongside Earlewood #18, I paid extra attention there.

I'm curious as to how territorial snakes are, and how far they roam. I suspect that the opposite of your last paragraph is also true; that if it's a good environment for snakes, you'll have snakes, and if you remove some, others with move in. But I don't really know.
Completely agree with this, my point being that most snakes don't like being near a lot of human traffic. Even if the habitat otherwise suits them, if there's sufficient foot traffic (which I'm sure there is on busy courses) they'll tend to stay away from the traffic. Probably more likely to be staying in the shadows in the rough, in less traveled areas of the course.

I do think it's a good idea to publicize it locally, just to remind people to be extra vigilant. I know that after a series of copperheads were spotted in the woods alongside Earlewood #18, I paid extra attention there.
Absolutely.

i say mount its head on a stake as a warning to all the other snakes
Maybe we should mount yours as warning to let nature be.

Last edited: