• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

Saw a speckeled king snake while playing a course I frequent in Louisiana. I pointed out to the kids with us and we kept playing. I inform them to watch out for snakes. That said we have 5 gecko as pets, so reptiles don't freak them out. If a person knows what they are doing I see nothing wrong with handling a snake IF it's stubborn and won't shoo away.. Most will.
Move it to a location away from people and harm. Not every one will as understand or be as passionate about snakes as you might.

Again if you know don't know, don't touch it. If you can't do it properly, leave it along, most of the times they want to be away from you more than you want to be away from them.

Last edited:
I have been in a somewhat similar situation at Bassett Creek. On hole 5, I forehanded a Star Max and it hit a flying goose right in the neck, took it out of the sky. The poor thing's neck was kinked and it was flopping around in agony. I did the humane thing in my opinion, which was to pick the goose up by its legs and give it a good thwack against a tree trunk to finish it off. The horrified looks that I got from bystanders are something that I will never forget, but I did the humane thing. A true bastard would've left it to suffer.

It's like when one has a pet dog or cat that is suffering and needs to be put down. That pet is counting on you to do the right thing and end its suffering. Similar to the injured goose... It's doing the right thing to end its pain and suffering. You did right.

Sometimes, the pet owner thinks they are doing the right thing by keeping the suffering animal around, when in reality, they are doing it for their own selfish benefit, at the expense of the pet's quality of life. Putting down a pet is a lot tougher than finishing the job on an animal that you have no emotional attachment to, that is for sure. But I have been an avid hunter since about age 12, so it is nothing new to me. My dad raised me right in that regard hahaha.

P mantle where are you located? I see the lsu Avatar

Alexandria. Location of the now flooded 4 times in one year Buhlow disc golf courses. This wet pattern is getting old. Been having to drive to lafayette and Shreveport to play something other than little 9 holes courses.

OUZwZMFh.jpg

This past week some ignorant disc golfers had a run in with a fairly large Texas Rat snake. They happened upon it about 5 minutes before i did. They saw it, thought it was a moccasin, and decided the best course of action was to try to beat it to death with a stick. They finished, assumed it was dead, then carried on through the course.

I was warned about the dead 'moccasin', yet when i got to the tee box, a very dazed, injured, and very much alive rat snake was present instead. They had beaten it with a stick enough to break its jaw, yet left it there without properly finishing it off. I was livid that they had so little disregard for wildife, the snake wouldn't survive long with such an injury. No one had a knife but me, so i had another player nearby hold the rat snake down with a stick while i dispatched the poor thing properly.

If you see a snake and its not actively trying to kill you, let it be. Give it a minute to wander off and then go about your day. If you absolutely must kill it, make sure you do so quickly and effectively. Leaving an injured animal on the course only increases the already slim chances that the animal will injure another person, and it also displays their complete disregard for nature.

TD;DR: Leave it alone.

I had a somewhat similar experience recently. We were in savannah for the weekend and played Tom tripplet Saturday and Sunday. During the Saturday round I found a very large water snake lounging in one of the fairways. I got him well off the fairway for his own safety, knowing most people would mis identify him as a cottonmouth and kill him. When we came back Sunday the same snake was in the same spot, only dead this time because he came back and some jackass decided to beat him to death. People are the worst

Alexandria. Location of the now flooded 4 times in one year Buhlow disc golf courses. This wet pattern is getting old. Been having to drive to lafayette and Shreveport to play something other than little 9 holes courses.

That sucks! I was curious. I'm in Baton Rouge. What course would you recommend playing in Lafayette? We are lucky to have 4 pretty good course near us. I've been debating on going out and try some other courses out though.

That sucks! I was curious. I'm in Baton Rouge. What course would you recommend playing in Lafayette? We are lucky to have 4 pretty good course near us. I've been debating on going out and try some other courses out though.

I think PA Davis is the best overall. Acadiana has two 18s on site, and I am sure some people love it. I don't because it's mostly wooded where you use mids/putters. The second 18, Duzee, opens up a bit and you can throw a driver a few times. I would skip Heymann unless you were playing all day and needed another course to play. Do not play it on a Sunday afternoon. Way too much other usage going on that would force you to skip holes.

Magnolia Park in St. Martinville is definitely worth playing.

Having lunch

Near the 14th hole basket at Alexander Park, Lawrenceville, GA. I heard the shuffling of leaves and saw this going on in the leaves near the trail. I didn't have a great view, so I zoomed in and took a pic, then went along to the next hole and left the snake to his lunch.

At right you can see Mr. Black and Yellow's head as he is biting something. I thought it was a mouse or something, but when I got home and looked at the pic... that snake body at left is not black and yellow, but gray and brown! Ergo, Mr. Black and Yellow Snake is having Mr. Brown and Gray Snake for lunch. Literally.

Edit: pic posted sideways, so mouth is at top, tail is at bottom.

Attachments

• Snakes_IMG_2792.jpg
    Snakes_IMG_2792.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts