• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

picture.php

irwin_steve_snake_cp_10666737.jpg

Hole 17 Century Park in Greer, asst TD gets <no joke> pee'd on by a snake in the tree above the teepad. Would not believe it if I wasn't at tourny HQ a couple dozen feet away and come over to see what the yelling was about.

We boosted our list to about a dozen species this weekend---and still no venomous ones.

...still no venomous ones.
That's the most important part. Snakes usually startle me more so than scare me, but if I came close to one I could ID as venomous (like a copperhead, cottonmouth, rattler, or coral snake), I'd piss my pants so bad, you might as well update the course conditions to, "Soaked... bettter give it another day or two to dry out."

:eek:

LOL. One bad thing about seeing a venomous snake is that you tend to be nervous walking through that particular spot for the next 97 years.

Not that the others can't do damage. We have black racers, often about 6' long. True to their name, they can move amazingly fast, particularly for animals without feet. I spotted one on the road and thought I'd see if I could outrun it. So I ran right at it---and instead of sprinting away, it coiled and stood its ground. For a quarter-second I contemplating flying.

Saw my first Bull Snake of the year at Diamond X on Sat at our first tourney of the year. Just a cute little guy, maybe 3'. Didn't have time to get a pic as 2 minutes had just been called for the second round...next time.

Never thought I would ever see one, but here is my first ever La. Milk.

King2jpg_zpsw1m0l6vf.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I walked up on that guy I'd be cleaning my pants before I figured out how that saying about red on yellow goes....

You know the whole measure twice, cut once thing? I said "Red on black-gentle jack" in my head at least 8 times before I decided to catch it. :lol:

How many people on here actually know a discer that has been bitten by a snake on the course?

I've been bitten. But I'm always trying to catch stuff, after I 100% ID the species. So I've never been bitten without, ya know, harassing the snake first.

I stepped on a juvi cottonmouth once on a golf course. I got lucky on foot placement and he could not get back to my ankle. Close call that scared the chit out of me.

Same guy-different copperhead. I don't know what happened to Doof's pic. I still have it somewhere.
copper_zpsuxbipvjv.jpg

Just got back from GBO, at the Olpe course, on the 800' hole with the tiny island, there were 2 of these sunbathing or something about 5 feet beside the drop zone, dude almost stepped on them and likely peed a little

I'm pretty sure if I walked up on that guy I'd be cleaning my pants before I figured out how that saying about red on yellow goes....

red touching yellow will kill a fellow;
red on black, you can pat him on the back.

(either way, I just leave 'em be and move out smartly)

Latest posts