• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

Are you accusing the Garter of stealing your Seer?

LOL no. You would not believe the water rise from the time I lost it in a little ditch to just recently when we found it. A local river backed up and the tee sign closest to where the disc was lost only showed about 3" over the top of the water. I really thought I'd never see that disc again.

Wow - I am so happy to live in a state that doesn't have venomous snakes!!! Thank you freezing cold winters

Give me the snakes over the winters any day. I do not know of a single person who has ever been bitten. I've only heard stories. None on a disc golf course.

Wow - I am so happy to live in a state that doesn't have venomous snakes!!! Thank you freezing cold winters

Shoot. The wildlife here in the South is SO diverse, and not just reptiles. I love it. Its so much more fun during the spring then it was back in the Midwest. I'll keep the venomous snakes for yall, don't worry.

Cool to see some other disc golfers here who also love snakes! Makes me happy to know I'm not the only one. Haven't seen anything awesome around here yet, just the usual racers, garters, and water snakes.

Only two states don't have venomous snakes...AK and HI.

Only two states don't have venomous snakes...AK and HI.

Although that may be true - there is definitely a difference. And in some areas (not states) there are none. There are large areas of NY with no venomous snakes, for example. Granted there are rattlers in a few places (some pieces of the adirondacks & souther tier), and i think the rare copperhead in places. Where I am at, however, I only ever see milk snakes and garter snakes.

Cutie patootie on Elon Eager #8. Blurry Hop Drop for scale. No idea what kind of snake.

20150403_193507_zpskblpgzej.jpg

20150403_193516_zpsbf1puqbz.jpg

Pretty sure that's an Eastern Worm Snake, Rodney. I find them commonly in leaf piles or around flower bed mulch.

Stoney Hill has plenty of snakes---this time of year, you can just about guarantee finding one if you look. In the 10 years we've been there we've identified at least 8 species, none of them venomous. Not to say we don't have any, but they're either fairyl rare, or shy.

Not my picture but this big dude has been at Circle C in Austin for the last few years. You can usually find it him around holes 12 and 13. Hole 12 is also a common place to find rattlers if you get off the fairway. I've seen this thing multiple times. Luckily never had him above me like this dude did.

Attachments

• snakesomg.jpg
    snakesomg.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 219
Not my picture but this big dude has been at Circle C in Austin for the last few years. You can usually find it him around holes 12 and 13. Hole 12 is also a common place to find rattlers if you get off the fairway. I've seen this thing multiple times. Luckily never had him above me like this dude did.

What type of snake is that?

picture.php

picture.php

Unrelated to the above pics, I saw either a bull snake or a massasauga rattler at Camp Collum a couple of summers ago. I didn't get close enough to investigate further, as it went into striking pose and rattled its tail. My best guess was bull snake.