• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Snake

I posted this bad boy in the Critters thread, but he deserves an encore here. I've seen him several times, but got this pic when he just crossed my path three feet in front of me and slid on by. I estimate him to be 6-7 feet long. Taken at Alexander Park, Lawrenceville, GA.

Attachments

• DiscGolf_Snake_IMG_2555.jpg
    DiscGolf_Snake_IMG_2555.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I posted this bad boy in the Critters thread, but he deserves an encore here. I've seen him several times, but got this pic when he just crossed my path three feet in front of me and slid on by. I estimate him to be 6-7 feet long. Taken at Alexander Park, Lawrenceville, GA.

He's a beaut!

Looks like a Speckled King Snake, really cant tell if his spots are yellow or not in the pic.

Let him do his thing on the course, as he will keep venomous snakes at bay or kill them when he encounters them, some poisonous snakes fear King snakes.

I think the King is the only snake that Rattlers are afraid of and often become prey instead of predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCozo_Ub_Q

Last edited:
Looks like a Speckled King Snake, really cant tell if his spots are yellow or not in the pic.

Let him do his thing on the course, as he will keep venomous snakes at bay or kill them when he encounters them, some poisonous snakes fear King snakes.

I think the King is the only snake that Rattlers are afraid of and often become prey instead of predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCozo_Ub_Q

True, King snakes eat other snakes, and scoff at venomous snakes (and then kill and eat them).

My buddy in that pic has been seen by many disc golfers, and was seen getting into bird houses along the course. Rumor has it that he said "Hello, Mrs. Bird, I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help you." :D

There's more than one, as I saw a smaller one a few holes down the woodline.

OUZwZMFh.jpg

This past week some ignorant disc golfers had a run in with a fairly large Texas Rat snake. They happened upon it about 5 minutes before i did. They saw it, thought it was a moccasin, and decided the best course of action was to try to beat it to death with a stick. They finished, assumed it was dead, then carried on through the course.

I was warned about the dead 'moccasin', yet when i got to the tee box, a very dazed, injured, and very much alive rat snake was present instead. They had beaten it with a stick enough to break its jaw, yet left it there without properly finishing it off. I was livid that they had so little disregard for wildife, the snake wouldn't survive long with such an injury. No one had a knife but me, so i had another player nearby hold the rat snake down with a stick while i dispatched the poor thing properly.

If you see a snake and its not actively trying to kill you, let it be. Give it a minute to wander off and then go about your day. If you absolutely must kill it, make sure you do so quickly and effectively. Leaving an injured animal on the course only increases the already slim chances that the animal will injure another person, and it also displays their complete disregard for nature.

TD;DR: Leave it alone.

If you see a snake and its not actively trying to kill you, let it be. Give it a minute to wander off and then go about your day. If you absolutely must kill it, make sure you do so quickly and effectively. Leaving an injured animal on the course only increases the already slim chances that the animal will injure another person, and it also displays their complete disregard for nature.

Very well said.

This past week some ignorant disc golfers had a run in with a fairly large Texas Rat snake. They happened upon it about 5 minutes before i did. They saw it, thought it was a moccasin, and decided the best course of action was to try to beat it to death with a stick. They finished, assumed it was dead, then carried on through the course.

I was warned about the dead 'moccasin', yet when i got to the tee box, a very dazed, injured, and very much alive rat snake was present instead. They had beaten it with a stick enough to break its jaw, yet left it there without properly finishing it off. I was livid that they had so little disregard for wildife, the snake wouldn't survive long with such an injury. No one had a knife but me, so i had another player nearby hold the rat snake down with a stick while i dispatched the poor thing properly.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Saw this one Saturday. It wouldn't move, even when we poked it with a stick. Can anyone identify?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 108
OUZwZMFh.jpg

So painful to hear. Innocent creatures do not deserve such a tortured fate.

I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I'd hate to have a strange animal dozens of times my size come along and pick me up like that. What's wrong with taking a photo without pinching the poor thing's neck?
I've often thought this while watching nature shows. I'm thankful crews of people are willing to travel deep into places that are basically inaccessible to capture footage of animals most of us would never see otherwise... but why do the hosts always feel the need to (as I put it) "molest the animals," particularly snakes? Why can't you just let it be?

I understand milking snakes so their venom can be used to produce antivenin, or tagging critters to keep tabs on territory and migration patterns, but often they aren't even doing that. Kudos to David Attenborough for bringing us footage of undisturbed wildlife doing it's thing as if we didn't exist.

Last edited:
I don't want to seem like a jerk, but I'd hate to have a strange animal dozens of times my size come along and pick me up like that. What's wrong with taking a photo without pinching the poor thing's neck?

Oh, this again.

It's not a person. Hell, it's not even a mammal. The snake was released unharmed despite the fact that it is venomous and living in an area where people with small children walk. Many of whom are unaware.

I have been in a somewhat similar situation at Bassett Creek. On hole 5, I forehanded a Star Max and it hit a flying goose right in the neck, took it out of the sky. The poor thing's neck was kinked and it was flopping around in agony. I did the humane thing in my opinion, which was to pick the goose up by its legs and give it a good thwack against a tree trunk to finish it off. The horrified looks that I got from bystanders are something that I will never forget, but I did the humane thing. A true bastard would've left it to suffer.

I have been in a somewhat similar situation at Bassett Creek. On hole 5, I forehanded a Star Max and it hit a flying goose right in the neck, took it out of the sky. The poor thing's neck was kinked and it was flopping around in agony. I did the humane thing in my opinion, which was to pick the goose up by its legs and give it a good thwack against a tree trunk to finish it off. The horrified looks that I got from bystanders are something that I will never forget, but I did the humane thing. A true bastard would've left it to suffer.

Tis a hard thing to kill a wounded animal. Only a person with low understanding of obligation would find someone doing such a thing at fault.

I imagine it was horrifying. Also necessary, IMO. I'm glad you were able to do the right thing.