• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Help me develop a course

davetherocketguy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Against my better judgement, I am asking for help from DGCR. ;)

Seriously though, I just discovered that the township I live in has a 20-25 acre parcel that is currently not being used for anything. With the right design I am thinking a great 12 hole course could be put in there and maybe 18. Not quite 100% of it is useable since there is a highway that runs along one side. FYI, I am a long long long way from even dreaming about design.

So I talked to the township manager and he sounds pretty interested. He asked that I send him a link or something about disc golf since he has never heard of it. My question to all of you is, if you could send two or three links to someone like that what would they be?

Keep discussion to that question for now pretty please. Not ready to discuss design, baskets, tees, etc.

Thanks!

-Dave

Download the course brochure from here:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/course/course-development.html

email it to him, or print a COLOR copy and give it to him.

I agree with sending him the above brochure. It's visually-appealing, does a good job of selling the sport, and most importantly isn't overly-technical. I'm certain that we could overwhelm any non-disc-golfer with technical information/suggestions about course design, but realistically that isn't going to 'sell' a course.

Other aspects of course design that *may* be of interest to a prospective parks department, though, include how you (in general) might design around other park users (if there are any), and how you might design around potential environmental impacts (e.g. erosion and tree protection).

And something I failed to mention in my original post: The township just started updating and editing their parks and rec five year plan. :thmbup: In order to get some park improvement grants a 5 year plan must be in place.

My timing could NOT have been better.

-Dave

You cannot over-emphasize the family/kids/women fun factor, lay it on thick.

Brilliant! I will save that for later when I talk to more people...This fella I talked to I kinda know who he is and know that he's older probably in his 60's or 70's so for now that brochure is perfect because there is a page all about senior citizens playing dg.

I think I have my foot in the door BIG TIME here so I am very hopeful this is going to work out.

-Dave

Get permission to walk the property.
Bring a roll of bright ribbon to mark off any holes/greens/unique features that you see.
Repeat this with another player(or two, max) to get some fresh eyes on the layout.

Id go for a good 9 holer with dual tees. 20 acres is small for 12-18.

18 is always a better choice and with good design/planning 20 acres is not SMALL for 18 holes its just not a ton of land to work with but you don't need tons of space between holes depending on the land. Also depends on the type of course being designed as a rec 18 requires much less space than a champion gold level course.

Dudes, dudettes,

I don't even have a green light yet and frankly the 20 acres number is a guess off of a map and i will figure it out more precisely later. I don't even have a budget...believe me when I have those two things figured out then we can worry about design. ;)

I'd use Flaherty as a good example of what a course can do for a small under-utilized park space. The course there seems to have totally revitalized an unused asset in the downtown area. If this is in Watervliet (or a nearby area) then you could have the park people talk to the park people that gave Watervliet the go ahead.

Just a thought. Good luck with this Dave! :)

I'd use Flaherty as a good example of what a course can do for a small under-utilized park space. The course there seems to have totally revitalized an unused asset in the downtown area. If this is in Watervliet (or a nearby area) then you could have the park people talk to the park people that gave Watervliet the go ahead.

Just a thought. Good luck with this Dave! :)

Haha...Speaking of Flaherty I took a walk with my DG buddy Amenz around the property today. I think while we can come up with some fun stuff 9 holes really is going to be the max. Of course all of this hinges on knowing exactly where the township boundaries are. Fortunately, I work for a company that does surveying among other things. ;) The big problem we are going to face with this place is two fold. One, we have a busy, and I mean BUSY freeway on one side. On all the other sides are people's back yards - many with fences. Obviously, that means we need to be careful and stay away from all of that stuff and that really reduces the usable space. :\ Which is too bad because there is this coolio little creek that runs along the back side which we may not be able to put into play as much as we'd like.

Still, I am optimistic there is potential for a solid 9-holer with dual tees.

-Dave

Progress!

So I heard back from the township manager today and he said that they are having a parks & rec planning meeting a week from Monday. Bad thing it is in the middle of the day. :\ Been stupid busy at work so I forwarded the email to my boss and asked if I could have 1/2 the day off to go to the meeting and it sounds like he's going to let me go! :hfive:

Yeeeaaaaahhh!! Now I just need to find out if they want me to do a little presentation or what. Plenty of time to prepare!

-Dave

Made it to the parks planning meeting and had Amenz bring a practice basket along with a slew of discs. Short version: Didn't go real well. Proposed two locations - one is 12 acres that I originally mentioned here and then a 50 acre monster and both locations were mercilessly shot down by one of the board members. Thought, "Well, there really aren't any other places in the township that are going to work real well..." And then the newspaper does this ON THE FRONT PAGE:

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/news...cle_1847dd48-49db-54a3-b583-14cfee925fa0.html

Latest posts