• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dgNomad Target

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Just wanted to share my experience with DG Nomad.

I have built a 9 hole course on my base here in Korea, as there are no courses North of Seoul and I want something I can play every day. Cutting through military red tape ia a huge pain, and Ibe ended up having to pay for the whole course myself...and I dont have much in the way of disposable income.

I started with just homemade PVC tone poles, and have moved on to these. The guys at DG Nkmad have given me an excellent price and are even putting the 2nd Infantry Division (my unit) logo on the numberplate. Yes, these are nothing more than pre-assembled tone poles, but they are of very high quality. They are built to last and should not be blown off as cheap.

We are holding a non-sanctioned tourney here in October and if we get a decent turnout, will be lloking to hold an XB or XC tier tourney in spring of 2014! I have nothing but good things to say about these targets.

BTW our first DG Nomad ace occured this weekend on hole 3. A 350 foot hyzer bomb right into the chains. Beauty.

I don't really see a huge advantage over just using trees as targets for most purposes

besides not killing a tree?
how about just go get yourself a fence post.

Plus, even with the one main stake (given most normal soil) they are very sturdy in the ground so theres no reason to dig in and pour concrete and upset the environment!

BACK FROM THE DEAD!

Just wanted to share my experience with DG Nomad.

I have built a 9 hole course on my base here in Korea, as there are no courses North of Seoul and I want something I can play every day. Cutting through military red tape ia a huge pain, and Ibe ended up having to pay for the whole course myself...and I dont have much in the way of disposable income.

I started with just homemade PVC tone poles, and have moved on to these. The guys at DG Nkmad have given me an excellent price and are even putting the 2nd Infantry Division (my unit) logo on the numberplate. Yes, these are nothing more than pre-assembled tone poles, but they are of very high quality. They are built to last and should not be blown off as cheap.

We are holding a non-sanctioned tourney here in October and if we get a decent turnout, will be lloking to hold an XB or XC tier tourney in spring of 2014! I have nothing but good things to say about these targets.

BTW our first DG Nomad ace occured this weekend on hole 3. A 350 foot hyzer bomb right into the chains. Beauty.

I think all you haters just got your answer on why or why not to PDGA approve this unit. Sanctioned leagues in Korea. I LOVE IT!

Our club bought a set of the glow chains and we break them out monthly for awesome glow rounds. Nothing I've seen even comes close to these for lighting up existing baskets.

I won a NOMAD target, but have only used it indoors with my Pocket Discs as I already have two outdoor portables.

We are hosting a Skills Competition next month after our regular PDGA tournament based loosely on the EDGE Skillshot comp... and Jeff is bringing down NOMAD targets for that... should be a perfect fit!!

Quick update...

Ordered two more baskets from Jeff today (what can I say, we are working on a limited budget here in Korea!) and I mentioned to him that we were having a tournament next month.

So what did Jeff do? Not only did he donate a glow in the dark DG Nomad for first prize, he custom dyed the carrying bags AND made custom numberplates with our division emblem, as well as our division motto on them! And custom dyed the tourney nomad too! He did all that without us even asking, and for free! I can't thank Jeff enough...awesome guy, awesome company, and awesome product!

598524_10201879468890687_1739144383_n.jpg

Custom Numberplate

1236596_10201879467850661_1792254043_n.jpg

With these I'd imagine the sound is enough to warrant an ace.

Yeah they are pretty loud when they hit. Plus it's right next to a barracks and I heard plenty of non-players shouting out "No ****ing way man!" and "What a lucky shot!" kind of stuff.

But yeah, when you hit these they are pretty loud, even with plastic chains. The center pole is pretty loud too.

That's awesome he took care of you like that! Way to support our troops. I think these would be great when hauling around a portable isn't an option or for field practice just to give you a good target, and you could field practice with your glow setup pretty sweet.

I feel a bit of AndyJB's pain in that I live in a location void of disc golf courses. I read through this entire thread and can understand some of your prospectives, because I used to live in a Northwest city with options about which permanent course I would play each day. Back in Spokane I might not have seen the purpose in a product like this, but I wouldn't bash something just because it doesn't fit my needs. For four years now I've lived in Hawaii, on Oahu and our weekly round consist of carrying a Mach lite around an abandoned housing area. It's not fun, but we love disc golf. It's not fun because a Mach lite isn't f'n light after two holes. This thing is light enough to jog up to the next position between each throw. I arrived here after seeing that NOMAD Targets sponsored the GCC in Las Vegas and I tend to support companies that give back. I'll be purchasing mine on eBay today. Marketing this product to Boy Scouts was a great idea. -Joe, Grown up Boy Scout, USAF

It sounds like the owner is an awsome guy and willing to work with people. i feel for me though i like to see my disc go in the basket. kind of the point of the game. i understand for portability the dgNomad is probably the best out there. i just need the basket.

It sounds like the owner is an awsome guy and willing to work with people. i feel for me though i like to see my disc go in the basket. kind of the point of the game. i understand for portability the dgNomad is probably the best out there. i just need the basket.

One of the greatest courses I have ever played (out of about 60 I have played) is a private course in my home town (where there is no other disc golf) and almost all of the targets are home made bamboo chimes. The concept is similar to the DG Nomad target - you hit the target area to be done with the hole but your disc does not land in a basket. In my opinion, this does not detract from the play once you get used to it. The course I am referencing is one of the best in the world with home made DG Nomad style targets or expensive DiscCatchers. The target type shouldn't matter that much for you to enjoy the game of disc golf.

I was pretty skeptical at first too, but I defiantly think it has a niche. I've seen the durability hold up over numerous weeks while being left outside in the winter weather. I'm not worried about it's durability too much. I recently went on vacation and took one with me. This thing is really light weight and travel friendly enough to fit in my carry-on backpack. That's something I just can't do with a Mach Lite. It was very similar to assembling my tent poles with it's stretchy nylon cord connecting the interlocking poles. The Nomad is a great product for what it is.

Just nailed a 284ft ACE with a 159 Champion Firebird dead through the center of the heart of the plastic chains. It left a tiny red scuff where the disc smacked the center pole. Otherwise, the target was pretty much unscathed. That specific DG Nomad has a had a few ACES on it this year and is still hanging in there quite well.

securedownload

Its unique

I recently purchased one of these, and have been throwing discs at it like a mad man. As long as you have it staked well in the ground, it has enough give to not topple over. The construction is lightweight, flexible, and above all strong enough for a good days use. Its designed as an ultralight portable target,great for putting or field practice and if you decide you really need to hear it, just attach a bell to the ring holding the number plate.

It can be set up and good to go in less then two minutes. Pull it out of the bag connect the center poles and set the feet, then just pull out the chain supports and place them in the designated holders, boom target ready to go.

A few key parts that really help make this a worthwhile target:
It is 24" folded down and only about 4" in diameter in its bag.
Because of the weight being under 5lbs anyone can handle this even bringing it around on the course as you move along.
So easy to set up my kids can even get this going.
PRICE! the next closest PDGA approved target with some quality behind it is about double the basic Nomad in cost, and if your looking for an economical choice that should last you 2+ years of good use, or maybe its a gift for a friend with limited space, this is a way to go.

I have been showing this around, and so far, getting good feedback as far as this being a target that will go anywhere! Go ahead and give it a go guys!

Took one of these on a trip to Burkina Faso (Africa). I doubt there is any other basket or target besides these that you can fit into your luggage without using a lot of your weight and space allowance. I got to play in Africa w/o throwing at rocks and trees. :thmbup:

Attachments

• IMG_4363 smaller-min.jpg
    IMG_4363 smaller-min.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 42
pauldst - Good job. Many talk about growing the sport, but you are living it. Thanks !!!

Been eyeing this target for about 4 months now. I have baskets for putting and up shot practice, but this fills a niche for easy fairway simulations. Still waiting for the price to drop, though I get the reasons why it hasn't.

Last edited:

Latest posts