• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

Almost positive they did not. I can only remember one tournament I played in that did that (2012 USDGC) and it pissed me off to no end, so I think since I don't remember being pissed off at the Worlds that they must not have done that.
It wasn't stroke & distance at Blue Lake (or any other course). See Paul Ulibarri's drive here, which rolled OB. His second shot was thrown from where the drive went OB. https://youtu.be/g165s1084MQ?t=134

I saw some posts earlier in this thread dogging on this course, but it's actually quite beastly. The OB is everywhere, but also very fair. Go back and watch the final round and playoff of 2014 World's (it's only the greatest DG battle ever - so much drama and so many big putts).

The only downside at Blue Lake is that actually attempting to retrieve your disc from most OB will leave you bleeding from vicious thorn vines (actually last time I was there many of those vines had been torn out so maybe it's not as bad these days).

I thought Nate and Jeremy made some good points on a few holes in terms of enticing risk-reward. I suspect the TDs will take these ideas into account for next year. Either way I hope this tourney becomes a regular stop.

Speaking of BigSexy, I appreciated when they made it clear that Simon was going to miss a playoff by failing to birdie 18, but not blurting out who was in it or the result. I was able to stop Jomez at the point and switch the CCDG chase card with all drama intact.

Drew made some super-human and risky throws. Congrats to him. His putt looks best I've ever seen it (aside from that 8-footer lol), so I'm a little surprised I have not seen him on other lead cards this year.

Almost forgot to mention - smart move for the DGPT to invite Jomez and CCDG back into the fold.

Last edited:
I saw Drew Gibson for the first time at Idlewild 1 or 2 years ago and was in awe of his throwing abilities. That whole weekend I made sure to be in an area where I could follow the lead card but still watch Drew tee off. Friggin' amazing!

I thought Nate and Jeremy made some good points on a few holes in terms of enticing risk-reward. I suspect the TDs will take these ideas into account for next year. Either way I hope this tourney becomes a regular stop.

Almost forgot to mention - smart move for the DGPT to invite Jomez and CCDG back into the fold.

Agree about the ideas they stated, and I saw a few other places they could tweak and make things more challenging and more risk/reward. I'd also take those signs down on Hole 1, and if a roller goes into the road or wherever OB, so be it.

And yes, so happy to see Jomez and CCDG back! Awesome job by both! <3 :thmbup:

I saw some posts earlier in this thread dogging on this course, but it's actually quite beastly. The OB is everywhere, but also very fair. Go back and watch the final round and playoff of 2014 World's (it's only the greatest DG battle ever - so much drama and so many big putts).
I almost took a picture while I was playing there yesterday to actually show how tall and aggressive the rough is right now. It's well over 6' tall in places where you're actually having to throw accurately to avoid getting into it. It's probably one of the biggest factors of this course, which doesn't really offer a wide variety of ways to attack the basket, but will mentally wear you down with how prominent the OB is. For many of the holes, you simply can't even see the next hole you're playing or how little room you have for error because the rough is so tall, aggressive, and widespread.

It's an extremely intimidating course that, as I said, will challenge your mental game significantly, especially as you get deeper into your round. One really has to look no further than seeing the mental errors and challenges that the top players in the world faced on holes 15, 16, 17, and 18.

While it doesn't necessarily look like a 'pretty' course on tape, it's really got it all in terms of challenging disc golf... low ceiling play, some narrow and treacherous fairways, blind shots, subtle elevation, big distance, etc.. To play it well you need to be able to throw all your shots with distance, accuracy, and be able to mentally recover if, errr... WHEN you throw OB.

Agree about the ideas they stated, and I saw a few other places they could tweak and make things more challenging and more risk/reward. I'd also take those signs down on Hole 1, and if a roller goes into the road or wherever OB, so be it.

100% agree with you. I don't like the signage on hole 1 saving rollers. Too little risk reward then on this hole.

The only thing I didn't like about the course was that it really did seem like mostly a hyzerfest with the occasional forehand shot. Not a lot of flex or shot shaping. This course is tough, but really challenges your distance and shot placement.

Holes 4, 6, and 9 have the poor correlations and narrow scoring spreads.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PO2019Chart.png
    PO2019Chart.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 216
Or, for those who find three dimensions just not enough, here's five. More star-like is better.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PO2019Stars.png
    PO2019Stars.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 183
Just watched CCDG Final Coverage.

Anyone catch Eagle after his FH throw on #13?

That camera looks so close.

It wasn't stroke & distance at Blue Lake (or any other course). See Paul Ulibarri's drive here, which rolled OB. His second shot was thrown from where the drive went OB. https://youtu.be/g165s1084MQ?t=134

If you want to see Paul McBeth take a quad bogey on a 265' hole go to the 21:40 mark. I was in that gallery and saw something I never thought I would see. But..he did still win.

Maybe that's why he won the sudden death playoff on hole 7. He did not want to see hole 8 again.

If you want to see Paul McBeth take a quad bogey on a 265' hole go to the 21:40 mark. I was in that gallery and saw something I never thought I would see. But..he did still win.

Maybe that's why he won the sudden death playoff on hole 7. He did not want to see hole 8 again.

The hole is actually 315'. Lots of locals chattering about it for years, so some folks went and measured it last summer. 315' on a straight line. But you can't get there on a straight line.

I don't have that FH, so I throw a Roc turnover. I also think there is a lot less risk in the turnover that lands flat -- that ditch it real close to the basket.

When it is windy, and Blue Lake gets REAL windy sometimes, an overstable putter short of the ditch and jump putt at the pin is the smart play.

The hole is actually 315'. Lots of locals chattering about it for years, so some folks went and measured it last summer. 315' on a straight line. But you can't get there on a straight line.

I don't have that FH, so I throw a Roc turnover. I also think there is a lot less risk in the turnover that lands flat -- that ditch it real close to the basket.

When it is windy, and Blue Lake gets REAL windy sometimes, an overstable putter short of the ditch and jump putt at the pin is the smart play.

How many discs would you estimate you've lost to the rough at blue lake over the years?

How many discs would you estimate you've lost to the rough at blue lake over the years?

Somewhere between 7 and all-of-them. And I left one of my favorite Destroyers WAY up in a pine tree on hole 3 just yesterday. I can see it. But couldn't get it down. Not even close.

To be fair, it has been a long time since I have lost one to the rough out there, and I play it just about weekly. But in the years I was dialing that place in, I lost many.

Somewhere between 7 and all-of-them. And I left one of my favorite Destroyers WAY up in a pine tree on hole 3 just yesterday. I can see it. But couldn't get it down. Not even close.

To be fair, it has been a long time since I have lost one to the rough out there, and I play it just about weekly. But in the years I was dialing that place in, I lost many.

I have a specific "less valuable" Teebird that I use for hole 13, just in case I shank my drive into the rough. The thing is, I've thrown it enough on that hole to trust it and now it is no longer an expendable disc :/

Sounds like someone needs to go buy a slingshot...;)

Latest posts