• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Discraft's Portland Open presented by Bevel Craft Brewing May 25-27

Probably. I don't know if it was the rain on Saturday or the lack of wind the last two days, but there was a three throw difference in the ratings for round 1 versus the last two rounds. SSA for round 1 was 66, but for the other two, it was a hair over 63. But either way, an SSA over 60 suggests to me that it's a high caliber course.

Zero correlation on the bolded. It is long and there is a lot of OB thus the high SSA- just like the golf courses they have been playing elsewhere except without the pleasing aesthetics. That area has some of the most beautiful terrain/flora anywhere and the course reflected exactly none of it.

Lol, it just struck me that if it wasn't for the camera thing we would be dissecting McMahon's reaction to his putt rolling out on 18. Instead we are still talking about the camera. McMahon owes Hammes dinner for that.

Eagle is very honest in this post-round interview and owns every piece of his reaction and loss.

Seems like a young guy struggling mightily with the mental game, and admitting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1xjyBzElGw

But either way, an SSA over 60 suggests to me that it's a high caliber course.

A course with 600 foot field holes over and over would have an SSA of 60 but all it would be is a par 4 version of pitch and putt.

The difference in course par and SSA is much more important than the SSA.

From Simon's FB

"Holy moly the internet needs to relax. I can't believe how much attention this Adam Hammes thing got. He's freaking 20 years old. The camera guys out there are not just camera guys doing their job. We hang out with them all the time, see them almost every week. They're buddies. We're all just out there trying to do our best. The camera man was doing his job and there was literally no room for him to move behind the teeing area. Adam would never push or touch a camera that wasn't handled by a friend. They were talking crap all round. The camera man was right to film his reaction. How is that even a question?!? Adam did nothing wrong. The situation was taken out of context and way over analyzed. Relax �� "

From Adam Hammes, post-round:

M5TteFb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M5TteFb.jpg

Maybe Hammes can dish it but can't take it?

Just curious, what did people think about this course back in 2014? Was it considered Worlds-caliber then? I was pretty excited to watch this tournament to see the course, and came out of it really disappointed.

I played Worlds there in 2014 and actually liked this course better than Milo (sacrilege to many I'm sure). However, if there was no OB for this year's DGPT then it wouldn't be as interesting.

I don't know that the PDGA has the power to limit the behavior of non-players in that fashion (although it is a good idea). That is going to fall upon the TD's/venues. I think Las Vegas made a move in that direction this year.

Unfortunately, you are correct. But they could do a position statement for TDs to use as a resource.

From Adam Hammes, post-round:

M5TteFb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M5TteFb.jpg

Maybe Hammes can dish it but can't take it?

Is his position correct in that a cameraman commented to him about the situation and the Smash crew badmouthing him? That is not okay. On the other hand, I find that hard to believe and I'm darned confident that JV would have told him to knock it off (remember, they are all linked).

Tell me Adam, if you walked past the camera guy to sit down, how did he rotate the camera to keep it six inches from your face? To get that, he isn't rotating the camera, he's following you to your seat, at six inches. Me thinks thou doest exaggerate. Try this on Adam ,"I was frustrated, I felt the camera guy was too close, I pushed him, and boy was that dumb of me. I apologize."

I want to be really clear. I don't care how close the camera guy was or how he followed with the camera, you don't get to push him, period.

Everything I learned about manners I learned in kindergarten. Let me see, pushing, definitely a no-no.

I would like to revisit poor Mr. Bradley Williams. He got the piss beat out of him for verbiage, attitude, assaulting a basket, and quite possibly drinking. And he deserved it IMO. Even he never pushed someone (well, possibly he brushed someone). I'm sorry, this should go to the Disciplinary Committee. Adam, oh he's only 20, is an adult. Once you turn 18 you're expected to act like one. The only guys who get a pass here are rich guys who parents can buy their kids out of trouble. Whoops, did I really write that?

Did you see Adam Hammes' post after that round? Nothing about his post made it seem friendly at all. He calls out the cameraman's lack of professionalism.

Interesting. I sort of get the feeling it was all fun and games until it wasn't. I feel like Simon is the most objective party here. Generally, I hate when people "feel disrespected" . LOL

A course with 600 foot field holes over and over would have an SSA of 60 but all it would be is a par 4 version of pitch and putt.

The difference in course par and SSA is much more important than the SSA.

Um, actually, par 3.

When I watch Drew I can tell he is throwing 80. The disc pops out of his hand like nothing I've ever seen. He threw some amazing shots that round.

Wife and I went to GBO to spectate round 3 a few weeks back. We watched Drew(and the rest of his card) tee off on hole 14. We were standing on the cart path on other side of the fairway and probably ~1/4 of the way down the hole. I genuinely would have never guessed that a disc snapping out of someone's hand could generate that loud/violent of a sound. It was one of those "holy ****" moments.

The other moment that that makes me think of is looking up just in time to see GG launch his shot from the drop zone on hole 8 in round 3 at Ledgestone last year. It looked more like the trajectory I'd expect to see in ball golf than disc golf.

I'd love to see Ian get the radar and rangefinder on Drew, GG, Eagle, and Simon in an open field.(and maybe a few others, if we didn't have to worry about it being a foursome)

T-Dog with a moment of perspective…

Terry seems like a nice guy. It is cool that Terry was moved by doing the right thing. We know that it is not always as rewarding as Terry's experience. Sometimes it benefits others, to your own detriment.

Is Terry running for office? T-Dog for President......:p:\ :|

They used stroke and distance in '14, didn't they?

Almost positive they did not. I can only remember one tournament I played in that did that (2012 USDGC) and it pissed me off to no end, so I think since I don't remember being pissed off at the Worlds that they must not have done that.

Latest posts