• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

Wow, a really nice final round to follow on video. Great atmosphere on the card and with a tight finish.

But MAN, how come is it possible that PRO players don't even know that they are putting for the win. This is beyond ridiculous...
I can't wait for the day that a player runs a putt on 18 that he could lay up for the win, rolls away out of bounds and lose the tournament. This is bound to happen.

And don't tell me that it removes some pressure from them, it just doesn't look professional at all !!!

I was sooo wanted KJ to get the win. Heart sank a bit when when he slipped back a stroke. But then Eagle and Ricky opened the door for him on #16... and he freakin' ran at the basket. Looked like a helluva run from where I was standing.

Really surprised at his 2nd shot on 17... Reallyooked like he could have gone RHFH to the right of the tree. The way the wind was blowing, that high Annie line seemed like a dicier shot... Wind definitely kept it from getting as high up the hill as circle 1, leaving him a tough putt for birdie, and he ended up with the par...effectively costing him a stroke.

Great win for Eagle, shooting 51 all three days...so he was consistently great. I just can't help but think maybe KJ doesn't handle pressure well in crunch time.

You look at Ricky and Paul, and they always seem to make a charge the last round round.

Shout out to Dickerson for making it a battle from behind.

I'm so fortunate this event is basically in my backyard. Great as the live coverage and Jomez footage is, there's something about being intimately familiar with the course, and being able to see their shots in person video simply doesn't capture, even if it offers better angles. Already can't wait for next year.

So simple for the PDGA/DGPT...

I completely agree with you but clarify that the "so simple" depends on developing the habits necessary. All the disc golfers were too busy creating content during the stoppage to do that necessary work. You have to practice following the guidelines. You have to train your brain and muscles.

Players should all have the common sense as should all Americans, but common sense is in

short supply these days! Sorry I was unclear, if the PDGA/DGPT had made following the Guidelines

mandatory it would have required the players to re-learn new skills such as social distancing

and masks! More simple only in that they are already outdoors, so the PDGA/DGPT could easily have

mandated player requirements such as no mask, no play etc. Spectators should have NEVER

been allowed at any of the events. Terry Miller and everyone else not playing should ALL have

been masked and socially distanced as well. The MVP open at Maple Hill is going to be very

interesting if all players, camera crews and officials require 14 days of quarantine per MA. Gov. rules.

Wow, a really nice final round to follow on video. Great atmosphere on the card and with a tight finish.

But MAN, how come is it possible that PRO players don't even know that they are putting for the win. This is beyond ridiculous...
I can't wait for the day that a player runs a putt on 18 that he could lay up for the win, rolls away out of bounds and lose the tournament. This is bound to happen.

And don't tell me that it removes some pressure from them, it just doesn't look professional at all !!!

"playing the course not other people" mentality

I 100% get the whole players & official photogs relationship with the DGPT, etc, etc, but it's just a shame Kevin had to deal with a photographer in frame of his vision as he attempts the most important putt of the tournament. I mean...did she really have to stand right..in...fking front of him? Go hide in the damn bushes and zoom the fk in. Yah..I'm pissed....

But good win Eagle!! :)

I 100% get the whole players & official photogs relationship with the DGPT, etc, etc, but it's just a shame Kevin had to deal with a photographer in frame of his vision as he attempts the most important putt of the tournament. I mean...did she really have to stand right..in...fking front of him? Go hide in the damn bushes and zoom the fk in. Yah..I'm pissed....

Easy there killer. The photographer has been standing in front of all the players, all day long. :\

Blaming a missed shot on a photographer who is standing still is a huge stretch.

Special shout out to Andrew Kaluk: a young local who came out punching well above his weight class.

Yeah, he grew up playing this course, so he's got that advantage, but he finished ahead of everyone else from from MI, and ahead of some seasoned touring pros who are familiar with the course.

Look at who finished ahead of him. To finish where he did, among this level of competition ...deserves recognition.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Been fun to see his game develop over the years.

Easy there killer. The photographer has been standing in front of all the players, all day long. :\

yah.. but there is a point where your desire for the shot should take a back seat. This was definitely one of those times. There was no need for her to be in Kevin's frame of sight during the biggest putt of his tournament. I'm sure KJ would say "she didn't bother me a bit", but she should take upon herself to not even be the smallest of distractions when something of that caliber is on the line. Buy/rent a zoom lens. No big deal....

yah.. but there is a point where your desire for the shot should take a back seat. This was definitely one of those times. There was no need for her to be in Kevin's frame of sight during the biggest putt of his tournament. I'm sure KJ would say "she didn't bother me a bit", but she should take upon herself to not even be the smallest of distractions when something of that caliber is on the line. Buy/rent a zoom lens. No big deal....

Perhaps, but how fair would it be that Jones was the only one to benefit from special consideration, from a photographer that was literally in the frame of sight of all the other contenders, all day. Yet you propose that Jones be given an advantage on that one shot. I am going to say, I don't see your point. It may seem like the putt on 18 was more important than the one on 7, but it is not true.

Perhaps, but how fair would it be that Jones was the only one to benefit from special consideration, from a photographer that was literally in the frame of sight of all the other contenders, all day. Yet you propose that Jones be given an advantage on that one shot. I am going to say, I don't see your point. It may seem like the putt on 18 was more important than the one on 7, but it is not true.

A player always has the option to ask a photographer (or anyone else) to move. There's neither an advantage or disadvantage in doing so, per the competition rules.

Even if Kevin makes his birdie putt on 18, Eagle wins, because he already had a stroke on KJ, and Eagle made his birdie putt.

If you wanna say there was one home that cost KJ the tourney, look at 14. That was probably the most pivotal home of the event. :(

Was she hired to take those pictures? Are film crew members not in similar spots at every tournament? Why should she move? Why not say that KJ should have asked her to move if it was a distraction? Don't people say that if there is a distraction, a player should reset and refocus instead of rushing the shot?

Why put the onus to move solely on her?

Yeah, don't buy the photographer in the way at all. If it bothered you ask her to move, Dickerson was already tied for the lead before Eagle made his putt to win.

I can see Eagle not wanting to know what the chase card did and worrying about that as he was ahead on the lead card. I would expect KJ knew where things stood though as he was trying to play catch up. Would've loved to have seen KJ can the putt and potentially be in on a play off also but there's advantage to being up a stroke on your card and being tied for the lead with one left to play...get to control your own destiny.

Regardless of what you make of Eagle choosing to not know the standings going into the final hole or if KJ can blame his missed putt on anybody but himself that right there was some nail biting disc golf right to the wire. I think everybody would agree these types of finishes are infinitely better than somebody being up by 5 strokes with 9 holes left.

Special shout out to Andrew Kaluk: a young local who came out punching well above his weight class.

Yeah, he grew up playing this course, so he's got that advantage, but he finished ahead of everyone else from from MI, and ahead of some seasoned touring pros who are familiar with the course.

Look at who finished ahead of him. To finish where he did, among this level of competition ...deserves recognition.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Been fun to see his game develop over the years.

Speaking of young locals, Kyle Klein would like a word with you regarding MI residents ;)

Great shooting by both of those young guns though.