• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Discraft Great Lakes Open July 24-26

OT but were is Sexton? no Bigsexy and he did not play . . . odd to not do the "BigSexy" at least

Eagle said he asked where he was before the last putt, and was told that he was tied for the lead. Eagle assumed he was tied with Ricky and that he needed to make the putt to stay tied (as Ricky was parked). Eagle had no clue he was tied with Chris D on the chase card.

Eagle not knowing where he was and realizing he won only afterward provided for a neat situation. it was cool to see people tell him that he won and get his reaction.

With that said, it seems like poor strategy. If he wanted to know where he was on the leaderboard, he should have gotten details, and known what to do strategically. But what does that help? It's a 35' putt with a mound behind the basket; he should go for that every time. Maybe if he's up 2+ strokes he doesn't go for that, but it seems like he knew it was close (otherwise, why is he asking?)

Despite this, maybe it was good for him to think he had to make that putt to tie. He's messed up before on putts that would win him a big tourney. Maybe (hopefully) this gives him confidence. He should be confident-he's one of the 5-10 best people to ever play.

Also, I'm being hyper-critical for the sake of aiming toward what's ideal. As a young player without a caddie, it's hard to determine exactly what to do in that situation. But in the future, I think one of these options would have been better:
1. Asking if he was up 2+ strokes and making it clear that he only wants a yes or no answer. That allows him to know whether he should go for the putt or layup.
2. Not asking anything, remaining ignorant of the scores, and playing it as if it's any other hole.
3. Looking at the scores (or having someone else do it and relay the pertinent information) so he knows exactly what to do strategically.

The right option probably depends on each player's psychology. Thoughts? Anyone else have other good options?

Live coverage was great! Course really got to shine here and the finish was exhilarating to watch, live. Count me as one the believers in live DG. So much more compelling to watch than post-produced, for me.

I love the Toboggan, but..
Rubber tee pads are no longer acceptable for DGPT events. If The Toboggan doesn't get turf tees soon I can see DGPT taking it off the top tier events and making it a silver series. Just saying. This sport is moving forward at breakneck speed and the courses need to keep up.

Live coverage was great! Course really got to shine here and the finish was exhilarating to watch, live. Count me as one the believers in live DG. So much more compelling to watch than post-produced, for me.

I love the Toboggan, but..
Rubber tee pads are no longer acceptable for DGPT events. If The Toboggan doesn't get turf tees soon I can see DGPT taking it off the top tier events and making it a silver series. Just saying. This sport is moving forward at breakneck speed and the courses need to keep up.

Yeah, despite my ambivalence toward those tee pads, they were shown to not be very popular among pro player this weekend. I agree that the MDGO or Discraft need to step up and find funding for new pads. I don't see the park or DGPT funding the project. I am also afraid that putting in permanent pads onto a temp course might be seen as a folly.

Realistically, I don't normally have the time for watching live coverage. It has really improved and is a nice sports watch, but I can't justify the sacrifice of playing a few rounds on the weekend.

Yeah, despite my ambivalence toward those tee pads, they were shown to not be very popular among pro player this weekend. I agree that the MDGO or Discraft need to step up and find funding for new pads. I don't see the park or DGPT funding the project. I am also afraid that putting in permanent pads onto a temp course might be seen as a folly.

Realistically, I don't normally have the time for watching live coverage. It has really improved and is a nice sports watch, but I can't justify the sacrifice of playing a few rounds on the weekend.

Toboggan hosts a PDGA major as well.. Given the cancellation of the national tour, I wonder if they (PDGA) might be able to help out a bit to fund tee pads. I also wonder if it's not a funding issue but a permission issue here. I bet tee pads would have been done a while ago if the park allowed it.

OT but were is Sexton? no Bigsexy and he did not play . . . odd to not do the "BigSexy" at least

Staying home, since his wife is a medical resident working extremely long and stressful hours due to Covid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDIScLKJmS3/

And commentary duos have to record together in person, too much lag otherwise.

Toboggan hosts a PDGA major as well.. Given the cancellation of the national tour, I wonder if they (PDGA) might be able to help out a bit to fund tee pads. I also wonder if it's not a funding issue but a permission issue here. I bet tee pads would have been done a while ago if the park allowed it.

Both great points, SW. There are likely a few political issues that I am not privileged to, at play here as well.

I don't really have much of a relationship with Kensington park folks. They have certainly been more receptive to keeping Toboggan open longer. I had heard they were going to leave it in for a while, after the tournament. To that point, there is now a permanent Toboggan park sign at the entrance of the course area. I would guess a majority of the decision is with the park leadership....and maybe that is a good thing. The other two courses in the park experience pretty extensive erosion and environmental impact from play. I think this is mostly because of the sandy soil there. I would like to see them continue to protect Toboggan from that kind of wear and tear.

With that said, it seems like poor strategy. If he wanted to know where he was on the leaderboard, he should have gotten details, and known what to do strategically. But what does that help? It's a 35' putt with a mound behind the basket; he should go for that every time. Maybe if he's up 2+ strokes he doesn't go for that, but it seems like he knew it was close (otherwise, why is he asking?)

Despite this, maybe it was good for him to think he had to make that putt to tie. He's messed up before on putts that would win him a big tourney. Maybe (hopefully) this gives him confidence. He should be confident-he's one of the 5-10 best people to ever play.

Also, I'm being hyper-critical for the sake of aiming toward what's ideal. As a young player without a caddie, it's hard to determine exactly what to do in that situation. But in the future, I think one of these options would have been better:
1. Asking if he was up 2+ strokes and making it clear that he only wants a yes or no answer. That allows him to know whether he should go for the putt or layup.
2. Not asking anything, remaining ignorant of the scores, and playing it as if it's any other hole.
3. Looking at the scores (or having someone else do it and relay the pertinent information) so he knows exactly what to do strategically.

The right option probably depends on each player's psychology. Thoughts? Anyone else have other good options?
I agree that for top players, it is a poor strategy IN GENERAL to not know where you are.
I totally get the taking pressure of yourself angle, but in this case, whether he thinks he needs to can the putt to win or or to not lose, its still an absolute must make putt, right? If he thought he was tied, and he misses the putt, he still loses. Still the same pressure.

Now in this instance, with no real risk involved if you miss, the decision would be the same, but lets say it was a sloping green with a rollaway chance (like several greens there). Now laying up is a real option IF you are up by 2 strokes.

The 'not know the situation to cancel out any pressure' strategy may work for a football kicker, who wants to make it regardless, and simply wants to minimize pressure. But when there is a choice of whether to layup the 40' putt on a sloping green, or to try to run the 100'er for the win or even tie, I think a player needs to know their situation, and simply learn to deal with the pressure. (Easier said than done I know). How would someone feel missing a putt and rolling away when all they had to do is layup? Or laying up on a 60 footer when canning it would have forced a playoff?

I agree with play your own game--for most of the tourney. But the last 2-3 holes, I really think you gotta know what's going on. For me, its never been an issue, as 15th vs 16th in a local rec tourney doesn't matter that much. :)

I tweeted coverage at the following CBS Sports personalities, in the hopes it spurs them getting some disc golfers on their shows for a segment. Whether thats someone from DGPT, Dynamic Discs, or PDGA - Don't care. But we all need to be spamming CBS personalities between now and the airing of the DDO to try to get some coverage, given they have an incentive to do it right now with DDO coming up on their channel.

I went with as many people who talk general sports or golf on their channels as possible.

@davidpsamson
@kyleporterCBS
@mark_immelman
@rickrungood
@therealGFD
@dannykanell
@raja_bell_19
@nickfaldo006
@MichaelBreed
@jimrome
@tikibarber
@tikiandtierney
@adamschein

Please consider tweeting these folk, or messaging them on their instagram, or posting on their Facebook Pages.... Whatever you can. The DGLO Final Round coverage is fantastic, and a great example of what JomezPro (and CCDG) are going to bring to CBS Sports Network. We should be pushing this to give these guys as many excuses in the coming weeks to talk DG as possible.

I wonder... In how many cases did a player tee off from the side because of the teepad material, or to gain a better angle? Wouldn't allowing play directly behind the tee with the same width be a better option? What does it change the hole if its like 20ft longer? (maybe easier to get under some long hanging branch right off the tee, but thats super specific) The change in the angle makes much more difference at least on some holes IMO

I wonder... In how many cases did a player tee off from the side because of the teepad material, or to gain a better angle? Wouldn't allowing play directly behind the tee with the same width be a better option? What does it change the hole if its like 20ft longer? (maybe easier to get under some long hanging branch right off the tee, but thats super specific) The change in the angle makes much more difference at least on some holes IMO

Yes, that looked very strange with players way to the side of the tee. . they had a WIDE teepad with difference in angle

. . .and it did not really look that professional

They were on the side on a couple holes I recall where there would not be any angle advantage, including the 'fairway' hole. I remember Ricky slipping on one teepad, which did affect his shot. I do believe he scrambled a birdie on that hole, but it was an incredible save as I recall. In perfectly dry conditions, slipping on a teepad is inexcusable for a DGPT event. I understand money is an issue with the course being temp, but there has got to be better temp teepad solutions out there, doesn't there?

They were on the side on a couple holes I recall where there would not be any angle advantage, including the 'fairway' hole. I remember Ricky slipping on one teepad, which did affect his shot. I do believe he scrambled a birdie on that hole, but it was an incredible save as I recall. In perfectly dry conditions, slipping on a teepad is inexcusable for a DGPT event. I understand money is an issue with the course being temp, but there has got to be better temp teepad solutions out there, doesn't there?

nothing at all>>>> rubber pads

I've never played on rubber pads. What is it about them that makes them so slick in dry weather?

They are laid on and leveled with a "diamond dust" type gravel. I think when in heavy use, the dust from the gravel can get onto the pad. I have always had good luck with a broom, available on every hole. Honestly, my answer to your question though, is....bad shoe choice.

I tweeted coverage at the following CBS Sports personalities, in the hopes it spurs them getting some disc golfers on their shows for a segment. Whether thats someone from DGPT, Dynamic Discs, or PDGA - Don't care. But we all need to be spamming CBS personalities between now and the airing of the DDO to try to get some coverage, given they have an incentive to do it right now with DDO coming up on their channel.

I went with as many people who talk general sports or golf on their channels as possible.

@davidpsamson
@kyleporterCBS
@mark_immelman
@rickrungood
@therealGFD
@dannykanell
@raja_bell_19
@nickfaldo006
@MichaelBreed
@jimrome
@tikibarber
@tikiandtierney
@adamschein

Please consider tweeting these folk, or messaging them on their instagram, or posting on their Facebook Pages.... Whatever you can. The DGLO Final Round coverage is fantastic, and a great example of what JomezPro (and CCDG) are going to bring to CBS Sports Network. We should be pushing this to give these guys as many excuses in the coming weeks to talk DG as possible.

Sorry Chris. I can't agree. I don't care if disc golf is going to be given "national exposure". I don't think it makes the game interesting enough to watch for an average sports fan, and nowhere near interesting enough for the average non-sports fan.

I am also less interested in growing the sport, into the big time. Crowded courses, entitled players and social media warriors only sound like a lot more work for the individuals and clubs that are the foundation of the entire sport. Any effort to move the sport to the big time, needs to address that foundation, instead of expanding Brody's fan base. I am just not convinced any of it is bringing anything positive for the sport.

Sorry Chris. I can't agree. I don't care if disc golf is going to be given "national exposure". I don't think it makes the game interesting enough to watch for an average sports fan, and nowhere near interesting enough for the average non-sports fan.
Cool. I never made that point for you to disagree with it. Don't care. We should still be pushing hard to maximize a chance at exposure at a time when the personalities have some incentive, with the game airing on their network. As for interesting... its only as interesting as the stories we tell. A 1-stroke match going into the final hole is exciting, even if you're not a disc golf fan. Promote our natural narratives, they're amazing.

I am also less interested in growing the sport, into the big time. Crowded courses, entitled players and social media warriors only sound like a lot more work for the individuals and clubs that are the foundation of the entire sport. Any effort to move the sport to the big time, needs to address that foundation, instead of expanding Brody's fan base. I am just not convinced any of it is bringing anything positive for the sport.
I'm not convinced that any of your scaremongering is relevant. It sounds like a whole lot of I'm-afraid-of-my-niche-becoming-popular. Don't worry - your local clubs will have no problem functioning as they always have despite the presence of a larger national scene. Could even help you get more courses in on even nicer properties, helping allay that problem you have with too many people on your courses.

Perhaps, but how fair would it be that Jones was the only one to benefit from special consideration, from a photographer that was literally in the frame of sight of all the other contenders, all day. Yet you propose that Jones be given an advantage on that one shot. I am going to say, I don't see your point. It may seem like the putt on 18 was more important than the one on 7, but it is not true.

Well..there you go. Valid point. I was rooting for Eagle all day, but man....that just looked silly to see her that close to the basket at such a pivotal moment in the tournament. I still say it's time to get a zoom lens and go hide in the bushes. No one allowed in C1 expect players.

I believe there is division between the mindsets of growing the sport on the am side vs the pro side. I never was a fan of the #growthesport movement because I know who benefited from that the most and it wasn't your local club or players. Growing the sport on the pro side imop isn't about crowding your local course with players, it's about growing spectators who are not players. So with that in mind, Chris's hashtag campaign has merit.

"Crowded courses, entitled players and social media warriors only sound like a lot more work for the individuals and clubs that are the foundation of the entire sport."

I get that for sure.... but if those Brodie fanboys don't smoke (leave butts everywhere) or chug beers and throw the cans everywhere, I will welcome them with open arms on the courses I play.