• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 11-13

This tournament seems to have more than its share of strange controversy the last couple years. Very inequitable rules it seems on some of these water holes. Penalties that seem not commensurate with the shots.

You woulda thought that he would have clarified the rules of that hole after yesterday...:|
And maybe he did, who knows. My issue is--lets say a drive hits the basket, then rolls back into the water. Now you have an almost ace that is a 4 at best, possibly more. Crossing O/B should move one into the regular O/B rules. I hope that rule gets revisited for future tourneys.

bogey and a double bogey today for the ace bois yesterday on the same hole today

Crossing O/B should move one into the regular O/B rules. I hope that rule gets revisited for future tourneys.

No kidding. McBeth's disc cleared the main pond, flew over in bounds land for 50-70 feet then skips into a different pond and it is treated as if he landed in the main pond.

Speaking of that double bogey on hole 8, I have a provisional rules question. Before McBeth threw his provisional, he appealed to the TD who made the ruling that he was OB in water and had to throw from the drop zone. Is that legitimate that Paul decided to protest the ruling of the TD and throw a provisional anyway? At first I didn't think anything of it. But then he went to his true OB lie and decided to first play out his provisional that was closer to the basket before eventually making his actual putt.

If playing a provisional after it had been ruled on by the TD is illegitimate, he essentially took two practice throws. It was more strange to me that he was allowed to play his provisional putt first, given that playing them out of order slowed rather than sped up the pace of play.

The whole sequence was rather confusing live, so I was hoping to see what others thought of it.

Speaking of that double bogey on hole 8, I have a provisional rules question. Before McBeth threw his provisional, he appealed to the TD who made the ruling that he was OB in water and had to throw from the drop zone. Is that legitimate that Paul decided to protest the ruling of the TD and throw a provisional anyway? At first I didn't think anything of it. But then he went to his true OB lie and decided to first play out his provisional that was closer to the basket before eventually making his actual putt.

If playing a provisional after it had been ruled on by the TD is illegitimate, he essentially took two practice throws. It was more strange to me that he was allowed to play his provisional putt first, given that playing them out of order slowed rather than sped up the pace of play.

The whole sequence was rather confusing live, so I was hoping to see what others thought of it.
I didn't understand the logic there, given that the TD is right there giving his ruling. It's borderline poor sportsmanship, essentially thumbing his nose at the TD. There's no one to appeal to, no way the call is getting overruled.

GG with some crappy luck this tourney--missed a 2 on 14 by literally an inch, took a 5. Then that 2 stroke penalty for scoring error. That's 5 strokes. :(

Is it a great course or a totally arbitrary one when scores from the same player differ so much from day to day? Well, except Ricky.

It sucks to take a penalty, esp. if someone else is pushing the buttons on the Udisc app, but it's still each player's responsibility to take a gander at the total score before the scorekeeper hits the CONFIRM button at the end of the round.

When I'm doing Udisc Live for my card (which is pretty much every round because I have trust issues. . .) I invite everyone to please take a look and make sure it's right before I confirm the totals and close the app. Most everyone I've played with has come and peered at the phone to make sure it's correct or matches what they independently recorded.

(edit: And the PDGA online scoring requires every player to enter their name or PDGA number before the round is finalized, which helps to ensure they're actually participating in the process and not just packing it in and rolling out.)

Last edited:
Less is more Nate. Let Terry speak! PLEASE

Nate is cringe worthy at times. The nicknames, too much verbiage, too much exaggerated drama. Reminds of me of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack "it's in the hole, it's in the hole!"

I DO understand his logic. He was thumbing his nose at the TD. :D

Too much Dodge...again. "I don't agree with that rule." Paul McBeth

Nate is cringe worthy at times. The nicknames, too much verbiage, too much exaggerated drama. Reminds of me of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack "it's in the hole, it's in the hole!"

Too much Dodge...again. "I don't agree with that rule." Paul McBeth

The coverage tomorrow will likely feature the usual scoreboard permutation math occurring way too early in the round, like they do at every event. You either assume your audience is following along with some degree of attention or you do what they do, which is add unnecessary hot air on contrived drama when all I want is basic play-by-play and professional player analysis.

I'm fine w/the coverage overall, but that feature drives me nuts.

Total thread drift on this....but I didn't want to start a new forum, for a rules question......

After seeing McBeth hit his Ace on Hole 8? at Maple Hill...320 ft across nothing but water....(that is why I chose this thread to ask this question).

.....I would never, in a million tries, be able to make a 320 foot throw from the tee box, that would carry the water and land in bounds.

So my question is, during tournament play, do I HAVE to make that throw, knowing it is going to land in the water and be a lost disc....

OR can I concede the stroke, take the penalty, and go straight to the drop zone and throw my 3rd shot??....

the only other option I can think of would be to toss a lay up into the OB pond very close to the edge, just in front of the tee box, (so that I can retrieve my disc), take my penalty and proceed to the drop zone.

I looked through the Rules Forums and looked through the PDGA rule book, but didn't see (or failed to notice) an answer to this question.

Thanks.

Latest posts