• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Allstar Weekend

Looks like the live action for FPO is available for free on YouTube.

Is this the kind of coverage we get for trying to film multiple cards simultaneously? Seems klunky, but it might be just like ball golf (that I haven't watched since the early 1990s).

Is this the kind of coverage we get for trying to film multiple cards simultaneously? Seems klunky, but it might be just like ball golf (that I haven't watched since the early 1990s).

I think it is pretty close to what you'd get with golf.

I think a far better graphics effort would smooth things out a bit more. I think holes that are a bit more distinguishable from one another would also help. I would not pay for this. But, I am sure some would, so it is cool they have the market.

So.......is today's event a harbinger? Team Cat won and team Calvin [who's best friend was a sardonic stuffed tiger] also won. Are the Bengals next today?

A local c tier would be more exciting than this.

I guess the positive is there are no more of the stupid putting comps and jomez can start focusing on actual tournaments?

So.......is today's event a harbinger? Team Cat won and team Calvin [who's best friend was a sardonic stuffed tiger] also won. Are the Bengals next today?

Unfortunately this was not to be. Team Derkins got the win and it was G.R.O.S.S. :hfive:

Random reference of the the day lol.

Overall, I'd say it was a good event to watch. There was plenty of drama to make it worth paying attention, down to the very final hole. I mean, it could have been a real snoozer if one side was smoking the other, and that seemed to be the case for the front nine of the MPO. There were issues with the production, like, not enough graphics (no hole info - par, distance, hole #), catch cam not always in place, bad audio with the sideline reporter. At times the flow of the play seemed jumbled, with the constant jumping around from player to player without a real good idea as to what was the scenario. Understood, first event of the year. Should improve over the course of the new season. Rust knocking off & whatnot.
If I had to make a comment on commentary, I'd say maybe T-Bear is better suited to sideline reporting than play-by-play. I'd rather have Charlie Eisenhood or Ian Anderson in that role, or even Jaime Thomas. Nate & Val are getting better at doing the color commentary. Glad they didn't have Nate Sexton in the booth in Bend because having 3 commentators is just too much, in my opinion.

I had a hard time keeping up with who is on what team. If they are going to emphasize the team thing, they need uniforms. Put one team in blue, the other in red. Sponsor those up however you'd like.

With that out of the way, this is the first time I've ever watched live disc golf and not been bored out of my mind. I enjoyed watching them bounce around as opposed to showing Kevin Jones flip discs over his head while Nate Doss goes on and on about how Chris Dickerson shamed his family and is wasting his talent and life of hard work by hitting top band on a 60 foot putt last hole.

Overall, I'd say it was a good event to watch. There was plenty of drama to make it worth paying attention, down to the very final hole. I mean, it could have been a real snoozer if one side was smoking the other, and that seemed to be the case for the front nine of the MPO. There were issues with the production, like, not enough graphics (no hole info - par, distance, hole #), catch cam not always in place, bad audio with the sideline reporter. At times the flow of the play seemed jumbled, with the constant jumping around from player to player without a real good idea as to what was the scenario. Understood, first event of the year. Should improve over the course of the new season. Rust knocking off & whatnot.
If I had to make a comment on commentary, I'd say maybe T-Bear is better suited to sideline reporting than play-by-play. I'd rather have Charlie Eisenhood or Ian Anderson in that role, or even Jaime Thomas. Nate & Val are getting better at doing the color commentary. Glad they didn't have Nate Sexton in the booth in Bend because having 3 commentators is just too much, in my opinion.

I feel like the 3 person booth is way better- less pressure for Nate or Val to "fill time". Sexton is the gold standard of disc golf commentary by a fairly wide margin imo.

The one thing I would like to have seen from the production side of this particular event would have been to denote which team each individual was on when showing the individual match scores.

For the event in general I didn't really care for the format- just seemed so contrived. (I don't like the draft format stuff for the NBA all stars either)

I feel like the 3 person booth is way better- less pressure for Nate or Val to "fill time". Sexton is the gold standard of disc golf commentary by a fairly wide margin imo.

The one thing I would like to have seen from the production side of this particular event would have been to denote which team each individual was on when showing the individual match scores.

For the event in general I didn't really care for the format- just seemed so contrived. (I don't like the draft format stuff for the NBA all stars either)

All star games are a hard sell in mainstream sports and they all have inherent "teams". (East vs West, AFC vs NFC, American vs National, Campbell vs Wales...) There was no real team continuity in an individual sport. Golf pulls it off by nationality, same with the Olympics. I questioned.....what are they playing FOR? Pride in your captain? I believe the only saving grace could have been a stunning venue, but........

Sure.

I don't look at field averages, because the participants very so much.

Here's a chart of how the scores of 1000-rated players compared to event par and guideline par for these holes.

attachment.php

For 1000-rated players, they averaged under event par on 61% of the holes, but would have averaged under guideline par on 46% of the holes.
Or, the average score for 1000-rated players was 0.07 under event par, while it would have been 0.08 over guideline par.

For 1050-rated players, they averaged under event par on 85% of the holes, but would have averaged under guideline par on 71% of the holes.
Or, the average score for 1050-rated players was 0.32 under event par and would have been 0.17 under guideline par.

Dang. Guess I was wrong about what I said as well as how you interpreted it. Thanks Steve

All star games are a hard sell in mainstream sports and they all have inherent "teams". (East vs West, AFC vs NFC, American vs National, Campbell vs Wales...) There was no real team continuity in an individual sport. Golf pulls it off by nationality, same with the Olympics. I questioned.....what are they playing FOR? Pride in your captain? I believe the only saving grace could have been a stunning venue, but........

I think they were playing for like $5000 per team, and a bonus of some sort for individual singles matches. And pride.

I think we could have been better on the graphics. We were thrown a few curveballs that made things more difficult. And we didn't have the benefit of UDisc for this event, so it made it difficult for us to convey information back and forth. Plus we worked with a few new camera ops that we need to break in.

I really like this early season (low stakes) event. I wish it was completely behind a paywall, because we use this event as a warm up. There are going to be mistakes, and issues we need to clean up, putting it out on YouTube can set a bad first taste if things don't go perfect.

Oh well. On to LVC.

I once again shelled out a few bucks to see if DGN had improved any from last year, and I can say that nothing has changed and they appear to have taken all the money they made last year and burned it. How can you call yourself a sports broadcasting network without a single graphic? They don't even have the player's name, much less score or what hole they are on.
Nate Doss should never be given a microphone. Terry can have one, but he needs to stop being such a fan boy.
Beyond that, get Uli a real walkie talkie instead of ****ing around on a cellphone where you hear maybe 40% of what he says.

DGN, you're still awful. Please change or give up and let someone else do it.

I think they were playing for like $5000 per team, and a bonus of some sort for individual singles matches. And pride.

I think we could have been better on the graphics. We were thrown a few curveballs that made things more difficult. And we didn't have the benefit of UDisc for this event, so it made it difficult for us to convey information back and forth. Plus we worked with a few new camera ops that we need to break in.

I really like this early season (low stakes) event. I wish it was completely behind a paywall, because we use this event as a warm up. There are going to be mistakes, and issues we need to clean up, putting it out on YouTube can set a bad first taste if things don't go perfect.

Oh well. On to LVC.

Thanks for the feedback Jamie.

The lack of graphics and and keeping up with who is on which Team was what I missed. I think you did cover that somewhat on the Dubs, with Team Eagle on the top and Team Calvin on the bottom when the scores were flashed.

Live Disc Golf has to be able to cover at least two or three cards with equal crews, so there will probably always be something to show, such a waste of time to just watch the players walking. The transitions will get better, "and now over to the 13th ..." just like of Golf broadcasts, with good graphics to bring you up to date.

Have you gotten any complaints about constant buffering, or was that just my bad internet?

Latest posts