• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Pro Tour Championship 2020

I'm excited that it will air on ESPN2 in November.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/10/06/dgpt-championship-to-air-on-espn2/

From the article:
The broadcast will primarily feature the competition in the "final four" in both the MPO and FPO divisions. With just one round and one card to focus on, it will also allow the Pro Tour to dive deeper into the players' stories with interviews and features.

"We'd like to deliver an enhanced post-production, where we give more insight into the players that are competing," said DGPT CEO Jeff Spring. "We're focusing on the final round, but we want to make it accessible for people who haven't seen disc golf before."

The broadcast is expected to air the weekend on November 21st or 22nd, the weekend before Thanksgiving, in the afternoon or evening, though a final date and time will be confirmed in early November.

The new television contract was negotiated directly by the Pro Tour and will not interfere with the standard media distribution during the event: both live and post-produced coverage of the DGPT Championship will be available as normally scheduled. The DGPT is also not paying ESPN to air the event, though they are paying for the production.

I already pay for cable....will it be another 30.00 on top of that?

I don't think so. It says it will be on ESPN2. I understand that to mean it will be part of the regular programming on that channel.

I already pay for cable....will it be another 30.00 on top of that?

Per the PDGA:

Live Coverage will begin just prior to the chase card teeing off for both MPO and FPO fields each round, and will be featured on the Disc Golf Network Thursday through Saturday, and free for all viewers on DGPT's Youtube channel for Sunday's Championship final.

There will be a full-slate of post-produced next-day coverage coming from JomezPro, Gatekeeper Media and GK Pro.

And as if that wasn't enough, viewers can tune back in to ESPN2 in November for the special 2-hour production of the Tour Championship final round.

What kind of additional motivation do you think the possibility of significant face time on ESPN2 might bring to the players?

For MPO I would figure that it might drive McBeth. Would love to see him make the final.

It would probably have a similar effect on PP in FPO, although she seems to almost be ensured of a place in the final. It would really be a shame if somehow she didn't. This is nothing against her competitors, but I think it would be best for the game if she makes the final.

What kind of additional motivation do you think the possibility of significant face time on ESPN2 might bring to the players?

For MPO I would figure that it might drive McBeth. Would love to see him make the final.

It would probably have a similar effect on PP in FPO, although she seems to almost be ensured of a place in the final. It would really be a shame if somehow she didn't. This is nothing against her competitors, but I think it would be best for the game if she makes the final.

And a big motivation or pressure from the sponsors to have "their" players on the ESPN card. . .not good to be "left out" on that "free advertising"

because they weren't going to give their best until ESPN showed up?

My speculation tends more towards things like "will there be a NT after 2021?"

I don't think any pro looks at how to get motivated the way others see it as in, now that they will be live they are stepping up their game. That means they don't give their best all other times.
I would guess if anything it makes them more nervous.

In my experience, there are all sorts of reasons someone may "come to play" more on one day (or to one tournament) than another. There are little things that can help people focus more or less. I agree that pros are focused in general ... it's hard to play as well as they do and not be focused. But as far as getting in the groove and staying focused throughout an entire tournament, there are all sorts of things that help you gain focus or lose it a little bit. I think it being on TV will help get some pros into the zone more.

IMO it is more likely to do the opposite.

I don't disagree with you; I think it will make many of them nervous. But for some of them, as the stakes are higher, the more they are able to focus. call it "clutch" or anything else you want.

I don't disagree with you; I think it will make many of them nervous. But for some of them, as the stakes are higher, the more they are able to focus. call it "clutch" or anything else you want.

I agree players of any sport can get into a zone and play lights out. But I don't believe that's something that can be turned on or off at any given time by 98% of people.

I've been in the zone before, we all have, and have no idea why it started or what made it stop.

It's all about the biggest paycheck in the history of disc golf. 20k to both the MPO and FPO winners. Not bad for throwing plastic... not bad. :clap:

Wendy's used to sponsor tournaments. If this sponsor sees -% return on investment this won't last long either.

It's good to see but let's see how they are 2 years from now.

I agree players of any sport can get into a zone and play lights out. But I don't believe that's something that can be turned on or off at any given time by 98% of people.

I've been in the zone before, we all have, and have no idea why it started or what made it stop.

I've been in that zone before and I can remember years later why I got into that zone. I'm not saying I'm any better at it, because I can't control it. It was a specific circumstance that arose and it hyped me up.

I very much agree with you; it's not something that can be turned on or off. the TV info will help some, not affect some, and probably psych many players out.

I've been in that zone before and I can remember years later why I got into that zone. I'm not saying I'm any better at it, because I can't control it. It was a specific circumstance that arose and it hyped me up.

I very much agree with you; it's not something that can be turned on or off. the TV info will help some, not affect some, and probably psych many players out.

Yeah you can look back and realize why you were in the zone. The most famous one I know of was when Brett Favre lost his Dad and played that Monday night lights out, even for him.

Latest posts