• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Diamond (in the rough?)

"oh wow, it's almost like fast discs are bad for new/low power players"

Typically, that is correct. Better to start with a mid-range, like a Buzzz or a Roc and learn some good habits. I started with a Destroyer and a Boss and learned some bad habits I'm still trying to get rid of.

Lately, Innova (and others) are trying to come up with fast drivers for newer players. They know that new players want the fastest rated discs they can find.

However, this is not a good idea for new players. I recommend learning how to throw correctly, using Mids and fairway drivers before progressing to the faster discs. You'll find at the beginning that the speed 13 discs don't go much farther anyway (like 10-15 feet farther) and you sacrifice accuracy....not to mention learning bad habits.

Just my two cents..............don't get me started on the whole "max weight" mantra.....

Took the Diamond out to a wooded course and learned a few things. On low, no-wind throws, the Diamond and Star Valk (same weight) flew nearly identical lines and distances. The Diamond is easier to throw, though, so it was better for standstill distance.

My Diamond is still pretty stable and fades back reliably. I would put its stability between that of my Star Valk (still pretty stable) and a seasoned Champ Valk (easier to turn).

Unfortunately my Diamond is red, bright and cheery in the bag but easy to lose on the course. Has anyone found a Lat64 Opto color that really stands out in the shrubbery?

Many of the recent yellow optos are a good neon tone and really stand out most of the time, but I avoid them due to the prevalence of blackberries where anything in greens and yellows just disappears.
Unfortunately I haven't seen Diamonds in any other good colors, like Magenta or Orange.
Or find a clear and dye it whatever is best for you!

Any of the non-clear blues and most of the yellows. stay away from the "clear or light" colors and dark reds and oranges (brown really).

FWIW, i had a monster turnover drive today at doubles with my Diamond. It was uber satisfying.

(hole 18-C at Hot Shots... Prerube was there to see it)

I'm gonna get one of these soon. I have a heavy Opto River that I love, and I think this may compliment it nicely. I didn't realize that theres a snake on the disc, I thought it was a weird looking diamond at first...then I saw that large picture, its actually a cool little logo.

It's a good looking disc, for sure... not femine or childish in the least bit.

Also, it's a great compliment to heavier rivers. The diamond thrown slight hyzer will flip up and cruise forward with moderate turn. It has just the right ammount of low speed fade to keep the disc in the air when turning and continuing to glide forward. Where as most rivers have more fade and overcome the turn completely.

the rivers in my area have more flow than fade, and dont overcome the turn but instead erodes away at it. :)

Any of the non-clear blues and most of the yellows. stay away from the "clear or light" colors and dark reds and oranges (brown really).
Thanks! I am definitely ordering more after how mine performed this evening. The Diamond is stealing shots from the Valk and the beat DX Teebird. It reminds me somewhat of a seasoned, low-160s ESP XL, in that it has a controllable turn with enough fade to be worked on a lot of different lines.

FWIW, i had a monster turnover drive today at doubles with my Diamond. It was uber satisfying.
Sweet! At dubs tonight, the Diamond held a gorgeous downhill turnover on Seneca #25C, somehow sneaking 400' through the cedars and landing pin-high and about 40' to the left. Partner and I both missed the putt, of course, but I'm usually delighted with a 3 on that hole. Pic:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=192&p=4e4258e1

I thought the diamond would be gimmicky when I got it. Only using it for trick shots and fun experimental stuff, but it quickly showed it's versatility and workability on different lines. It is so easy to shape a line with it. I'd still like heavier ones, just for a little added stability, but this light one is legit.

Finally a company that says fudge it to the idea that noobs should be playing with speed 13 discs that are "understable" enough for them to throw "straight". If I could recommend a driver to a noob, this would be it. It's light, easy to manipulate and glides forever.

It's staying in my bag for the foreseeable future.

Diamond update:

I ordered three yellow Diamonds in the low-150s, and they are super-flippy. Not surprisingly, the flippy yellow Diamonds had a noticeably lower parting line compared with my red Diamond (which is fairly stable). I ordered some more red Diamonds, and their parting lines (and stabilities) were intermediate, but closer to my original red one.

I don't know if the color / stability correlation will hold, but for now I use the stable-ish reds as my workable control driver, and the flippy yellows as my turnover fairway driver.

the first one i ordered was a neon yellowish green and was a 155 i believe. i really dig it's flight so i ordered another in the same color, but all i could find without paying an arm and a leg in the same color was a 151. has anybody noticed much difference in stabilities between different weights but have similar plh's?

i think the 150 class gummy leopard held the title of ultimate 150 class utility disc but i think the diamond is gonna give it a run for the money. my 150 class leopards seemed a bit more stable and held a straight line better on a hyzer flip but the diamond definitely seems like it has more distance potential.

Bumping for Dkoz.

For the sake of adding something new, i've finally gone through one Opto Diamond. It is now beat beyond any evidence of stability. the perfect turn over fairway.

FWIW these actually are great for kids. My 13 year old son throws his quite often. He's got pretty solid form and can really rip these.

Bumping for Dkoz.

For the sake of adding something new, i've finally gone through one Opto Diamond. It is now beat beyond any evidence of stability. the perfect turn over fairway.

Will it keep a str line for you? or do you have to flip it!

I have a blue one 150ish that has replaced a 143 CE Leopard that was one of the first disc I ever bought and always feared losing.

The Diamond is a bit less stable but that seems to allow it (for me at least) to hit a few more lines by adding more hyzer to the release. It covers all the shots now that my Leopard and beat esp Avenger SS covered, with less effort and more distance. For me it's not a true tunnel disc but close to it, more of a really tight fairway disc.