• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Did Discraft Earn Bragging Rights at 2011 Pro Worlds?

Did Discraft Earn Bragging Rights?

• Total voters

JHern

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Here's the scenario:

1) Discraft didn't want to sponsor 2011 Pro Worlds.

2) Discraft is bragging that Nate and Paige won 2011 Pro Worlds, an event they didn't bother to support.

What do you think? Is this a bit awkward? Or is Discraft justified in taking on bragging rights even if they didn't support the event in a big way?

Justified.

Just like watching a football game on TV and your team wins, you got bragging rights even tho you're not a member of the team.

Depends on what they're bragging about.

Their discs?

Their support of competitive disc golf?

Their "team"?

If you can associate the success of the players with the quality of the discs they're throwing, that builds bragging rights. It's definitely good for the company's image, but I would first want to know how loyal the champions are to Discraft, and whether they would consider sponsorship by a competing brand if they were offered a better sponsorship deal. If the champions really do think throwing Discraft gives them the best chance to win, and they can clearly express what the difference is when you ask them, that would be worth a lot of bragging rights.

Last edited:
If you can associate the success of the players with the quality of the discs they're throwing, that builds bragging rights. It's definitely good for the company's image, but I would first want to know how loyal the champions are to Discraft, and whether they would consider sponsorship by a competing brand if they were offered a better sponsorship deal.

From my memory, I seem to recall that Paige did pass up an Innova sponsorship for the Discraft one. It was one of the top female Pros, anyway.

Discraft may not have been one of the major sponsors of the 2011 Pro Worlds, but they do have quite a few other activities, such as the Ace Race and many free clinics. What other company is getting the sport as much exposure to the masses as Discraft does? They may not want have felt the obligation to sponsor a pro event, as their focus seems to be on the regular players more so than the professionals.

This is like asking if Nate Doss should be able to brag since he only won the event, he didn't sponsor it.

Can a company that helped a player get to where they are brag about the players success... Um yeah.
This a total fanboy question, evidenced by option 3 in the poll.
Perhaps a better question would be "If a tournament didn't offer the opportunity for innova to make the 874358874356th version of the roc would they still sponsor it?"
Discraft does more than enough in sponsoring the ams that eventually go on to play pro worlds.
So yes they can brag. And yes they should step up their support of pro worlds.
How else am I going to get my collectors edition battle buzzz

They certainly can and should showcase the accomplishments of their team, just like I'm sure innova should and would showcase a sponsored player who won the discraft supported am nats.

but I would first want to know how loyal the champions are to Discraft, and whether they would consider sponsorship by a competing brand if they were offered a better sponsorship deal.

You can't tell me that Innova wouldn't jump all over Nate Doss if given the chance ..

Its simply marketing. No different than you're usual Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, Windows vs. Apple pissing matches. These two could have won Worlds with any company's discs. Same goes for all the Innova sponsored champions through the years.

You can't tell me that Innova wouldn't jump all over Nate Doss if given the chance ..

This doesn't make sense - Innova could go after Nate, what is stopping them?

...not that I think Nate would ever switch anyway, or that it would even be a good idea to consider switching, but what exactly is "the chance" thing you're talking about?

A player can throw for who he/she wants to throw for. Even in sports with actual budgets you see pros switching teams and having their new one buy out their existing contract.

Didn't Discraft put up $25,000 to anyone who can get a distance world record with one of their discs a few months ago? Didn't Discraft not pay out the $25,000 to anybody? That is quite a chunk of money for the disc world, and I would be hard pressed that they can't get somebody to huck a disc and collect the cash. Ever since then, that said something to me about the quality of their discs and their reputation among those that throw them. Congrats to their pros, but their discs still have some convincing to do for me :)

This doesn't make sense - Innova could go after Nate, what is stopping them?

...not that I think Nate would ever switch anyway, or that it would even be a good idea to consider switching, but what exactly is "the chance" thing you're talking about?

A player can throw for who he/she wants to throw for. Even in sports with actual budgets you see pros switching teams and having their new one buy out their existing contract.

Did you read the statement I quoted? It makes perfect sense in that context.

Did you read the statement I quoted? It makes perfect sense in that context.

JTacoma03:
rma0304l.jpg

Discraft sponsors ace races for the average guy. They also sponsor a team of pros. They make quality discs at about a buck a disc less than Innova. (In my neighborhood anyway). There's nothing wrong with Discraft's marketing. They sponsor smaller tourneys throughout the year, so I'll cut them slack and admire them for the good job they do as a company. They seem to do more for the "little guy". At least it seems that way in Tejas. The Millennium part of Innova is a big player down here, but Innova itself doesn't seem to care about the "average joe". (around here).

Didn't Discraft put up $25,000 to anyone who can get a distance world record with one of their discs a few months ago? Didn't Discraft not pay out the $25,000 to anybody? That is quite a chunk of money for the disc world, and I would be hard pressed that they can't get somebody to huck a disc and collect the cash. Ever since then, that said something to me about the quality of their discs and their reputation among those that throw them. Congrats to their pros, but their discs still have some convincing to do for me :)

I'm pretty sure that Innova put up $10,000 for a record at that same event.. and no one got that either. Breaking the World Flying Disc Federation's distance record takes a fair amount of luck and absolutely perfect conditions as well as form, technique, and the right equipment.