• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc Advice for High School Program

I've also found purchasing premium plastic to be false economy: yes, they're more durable than baseline plastic, but they cost more to replace when (not if, when) you "lose" them. (Discs do occasionally "sprout legs" and walk off on their own, and premium plastic walks off a lot more frequently than baseline plastic.)
I so totally agree with sticking with baseline plastic and recommend sticking with molds that are easy to replace... something like a Shark or a Roc which is versatile enough to actually putt with as well as being thrown for decent distance. While I'm no fan of Innova, they have name recognition, and have supported growing the game at the youth level through their EDGE Program...seems like a good fit.

The Innova starter set has a nice trio. Aviar, Shark, Leopard. There is nothing wrong w/150 class either, I wouldn't worry about starting kids odd w/max weight discs. More understable, something like a Stingray or Kite could do well. The Skeeter is also a good straight disc.

Personally I'm a big fan of both the Shark and Leopard. My Stingray I just picked up recently and it's nice, but I want more practice w/it.
Other companies are good too, but I would check out that EDGE link that got posted. Discraft's Magnet and Buzzz would be a great putter/mid combo. Honestly you probably don't need anything bigger than a mid for the kids starting out. Fairway absolute max.

This is the advice that I would give. Innova offers their starter sets in either DX http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/inn.../pid-500610?N=858511037&Ntt=Disc+golf&Ntk=All

or Champion plastic. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/inn.../pid-882893?N=843733749&Ntt=Disc+golf&Ntk=All

If you have a Big Box Sporting goods retailer near you such as Academy I would touch base with them. They are usually very good about working with youth sport organizations/programs because they know if they get kids hooked on a sport and loyal to their store they have a lot of potential sales down the road.

Last edited:
If you go Gateway putters, avoid "Clock Stamp" and the "Leaf" stamps. Drug references will get you in hot water as a teacher.

Re: High School

Thanks again for all of the input. I value all of it.

It is interesting to see all of the support for baseline plastics. My experience is that you take the disc out and the first time you spike it off the asphalt it gets ground up like it was run through a cheese grater. In fact, this happened to one of my students who bought a dx disc and did serious damage to it the very first time out.

For putters, I was always planning to use baseline plastic and I should have mentioned that in my post.

My thinking on premium plastics for mids and fairway drivers is that these discs will be used by several different students over hopefully a few years. I want discs that will stand up to some abuse so that they are still nice when I hand it to a student to use in 2 or 3 years.

So I guess my question to all of you who recommend dx plastics for beginners...is it really that much easier to throw a dx roc or leopard than, for example, a star mako?

It seems to me that the key elements most of you are recommending are low speed, understable, lightweight discs.

It is also true that I have a wide variety of physical abilities in the club. I have some girls who struggle to throw it 100 ft, and I have a couple of boys who are just a summer of practice away from being ready for high speed discs.

Ok, another question for you all. If I am going to send a kid out to play an entire round with just 1 disc...what disc is it?

This is sure fun to think about and plan for...and its going to be even more fun to get out and play. I love disc golf!

If you're just going to give them one disc, make it a slower midrange. They're controllable, allow even low power players to try shaping a variety of lines, and work just fine for putting. Something like a shark or mako is perfect imo.

If you're just going to give them one disc, make it a slower midrange. They're controllable, allow even low power players to try shaping a variety of lines, and work just fine for putting. Something like a shark or mako is perfect imo.

^^This without a doubt. :thmbup: I gave my 15 year old daughter and ** year old wife 150g Sharks to cut their teeth on.

If you're just going to give them one disc, make it a slower midrange. They're controllable, allow even low power players to try shaping a variety of lines, and work just fine for putting.

This.

Something like a shark or mako is perfect imo.

Two excellent choices (the Coyote is another), though I would add the minor qualification, DX Sharks, as I find Champ and Star Sharks can be quite a bit more overstable than their DX counterpart.

Although they're classified as putt/approach discs, the Classic Roc, XD, and Aero are also good candidates, though the Aero might be a little tall for kids with small hands.

Discgolf.com. Call DGA direct in CA. 3pks of misprint discs for $15 in their premium Proline plastic. It is similar to Star or ESP, but more durable. Best deal you'll find.
If you tell Sylvia your story, she will probably let you pick out the molds and get you the best shipping. Here's the ones I recommend:
Aftershock is THE starter disc. Very Roc-ish.
Squall is a longer midrange.
Breaker is a long putter/approach. Like the Discraft Zone
Undertow is a good beginner driver. Kind of Leopard/Valk-ish
Rogue is a good distance driver. Wraith-like
Reef would be the best putter in the D plastic

As a disclaimer, the website no longer offers the 3pk deal on their online store, so I can't promise they'll honor that anymore. But, it used to be under the "Great for Beginners" tab, so I think you fit their intended audience perfectly. Also the website is contracted out, so DGA might have just taken it off the online store product list. Besides, if they know you might buy signs and baskets from them, I'd be surprised if they weren't accommodating. Good luck. I think its cool what you're doing.

Re: High School

Just to keep in mind...my students are basically full sized humans (the girls) or close to full sized with some filling out to do (the boys). lol I don't have any elementary or junior high kids. (besides my 6 year old son who plays with us)

Declarkus: That is a really nice tip. I am in contact with someone from their basket/sign quote department by email. I will inquire about this and maybe we will work something out. Thanks!

MVP makes some of the longest lasting discs unfortunately they are on the expensive side. I would think Z or champion plastics will be your best bet. Comets and buzz midranges are probly the best beginner discs IMO. I would look at for drivers , leopards eagles and tbirds from INNOVA. From discraft stalkers, zombees, glides. All six of the drivers are slowish fairway class drivers. Putters are kinda whatever you can get cheap. It really takes a lot of trial and error to find the right putter for an individual. Good luck with your club.

Oh btw where is the school located?

Teebirds in champion plastic are overstable enough that your kids shouldn't out grow them to quick.

You also might want to grab a couple champion Valkyries. Probably should be the first distance driver any one should throw. Just in case your older boys have naturally to much arm for a tbird.

In my opinion, I think you are correct in going with a better plastic then baseline. Especially if you are doing a lot of field throws.

I personally think you should go with innova or discraft because they're every where. I've never seen a store that didn't carry innova or Discraft. Then your students would be able to easily acquire they're own equipment. I would go with champ plastic from innova. I think it has the highest durability of their plastics, but still has lots of molds.

The same goes for z plastic and discraft.

I think the number system on innova discs is great, but can be a bit confusing to new players.

I would buy a lot in the putters and mid range area. I agree the understable variety is great for beginners as well, but will cause trouble in head wind. I also think sticking to only understable would limit the learning. I would buy midrange discs that are understable through overstable. The slower disc speed will help them not need a big arm, but the range of stability will let them learn a great deal about the use of different discs and how to shape lines.

I think its great that your doing this for the teens. I wish I would have an opportunity like your providing back when I was young. Good luck.

As a fellow (former) Okie,

1. The folks that mentioned Diamonds, those really are the best beginner drivers I've seen. Tbirds are also great. And if you can afford MVP diss, they are really indestructible. Tangents make great beginner mids and work as putters.

2. Take them to the Will Rogers course in OKC...a great beginner course. Keep them away from the Norman course; that thing is a beast.

3. Limit the number of molds you get for the club, maybe 3-4 total molds is fine. Putter. Mid. Under and somewhat stable fairway driver.

4. I get the using durable plastics for multiple years and I think it's a good call. Baseline plastic is great when 1 person owns it and learns it, but year 3 in a baseline plastic will be a very different disc than year 1. To maximize consistency over time, go MVP, Latitude Opto, or perhaps Innova star. All good choices, and the Innova discs will be most easily available for those who pick up the game. Vibram might also be a good company to consider, nearly indestructible discs, beginner friendly, and easy to grip. They also hurt a bt less when they hit each other with them.

One thing to consider is if this is a one time investment and not expecting to get much extra money added in the following years. If you are expecting to be able to throw some similar funds into things each year, maybe get every kid an Aviar and a Shark or a Buzzz/Comet and Magnet (easy examples) and at the end of the year, they keep the discs. Get things in DX/Pro D, X for the Buzzz and Comet. Quality discs that will easily last the school year and are some rather popular ones to boot.

I actually just started using a 178 and 180 Shark for putters and I have 2 150 Sharks I use for approaches. Worked very well tonite. Things like a Leopard/Eagle/Teebird are great for Fairways, but honestly don't forget discs like the Stingray and Cobra. You can get some pretty nice drives w/those discs as well and again, nice and cheap in DX plastic.

I wouldn't worry too much about things like DX getting eaten up by asphalt. It's rare that a bit of road rash is going to really alter the flight. I'd be more concerned w/a solid hit tacoing it and needing to bend the flight plate back out. DX, Pro D and Dynamic Discs Classic plastics all beat up pretty easy but those hard scrapes smooth out pretty quickly.

Speaking of Dynamic Discs, Judge/Warden for putters (Classic Soft or Blend) and a Classic Truth would also be very good starting discs.

Update

Just an update for those who took the time to give advice:

1) We got our first batch of discs in for the club. Mostly Innova due to what the seller had in stock at this time. Shark3, Mako3, and Roc3 champion and 1 atlas midrange...A couple of drivers in starlite plastic...kc pro, classic aviar, and aviar driver gstar putters. Other brand discs include 1 pearl, 1 diamond, 1 buzz, and 2 soft x-focus putters (just got 'em but I love these).

2) DGC is going to send out a shipment of misprints at a reasonable price.

3) The city council approved a small course for our local park and in a couple of weeks will will have a course to play on!

Nice selection, mids and putters definitely the way to go. Congrats on getting a course as well!

That is great news. Congratulations on receiving approval for a new course.

It looks as though you have bought a nice variety of discs. I am glad that you did not buy a bunch of high speed drivers. These discs should serve your program well for many years.

I commend you for "spreading the stoke" and teaching this great game to a new generation of players. Good luck!