• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Disc brands you dislike

Disc brands you dislike

• Innova

Votes: 42 13.6%
  • Discraft

Votes: 33 10.7%
  • Discmania

Votes: 28 9.1%
  • Dynamic

Votes: 58 18.8%
  • Lat 64

Votes: 45 14.6%
  • Westside

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Vibram

Votes: 90 29.1%
  • Legacy

• MVP

Votes: 74 23.9%
  • Prodigy

Votes: 131 42.4%
  • Daredevil

• Gateway

Votes: 48 15.5%
  • Millennium

Votes: 19 6.1%
  • DGA

Votes: 25 8.1%
  • Element Disc

Votes: 23 7.4%
  • Reptilian Disc Golf

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Lightning

Votes: 46 14.9%
  • Prodiscus

Votes: 24 7.8%
  • Aerobie

Votes: 87 28.2%
  • Axiom

Votes: 53 17.2%
  • Kastaplast

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Ozone

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Yikun

Votes: 56 18.1%
  • RPM Discs

Votes: 19 6.1%

• Total voters
I have nothing against any of those brands. I wish there was a "none of the above" option.

Poll needs an option for Franklin golf discs!

I don't understand all of the hate for Prodigy. As far as I can tell it's just a DGCR thing; I've never met anyone who actively rags on Prodigy the way so many folks do here on the internets.

MVP/Axiom are the closest to getting my vote(s). I don't have any beef with the discs or the brands themselves, but the fanbois are soooo annoying. Newsflash: a trademark on the word "GYRO" does not create a monopoly on gyroscopic properties. I appreciate that it's a marketing technique, no hate there. But some of the folks who buy into it hook, line, and sinker...to me, they just come off as ignorant and childish. It's become a meme unto itself.

/Rant. I love all discs :D

Yeah I was going to say Franklin and Wham-O. I guess I shouldn't hate on Wham-O, but they're the only frisbees found in stores for so long even though they always seemed so inferior...

I don't understand all of the hate for Prodigy. As far as I can tell it's just a DGCR thing; I've never met anyone who actively rags on Prodigy the way so many folks do here on the internets.

Yeah I don't get it either. They have some really good molds in excellent plastics. I think a lot of bad publicity has come from the initial super team all slowly but surely leaving. Should have started out more humble.

Yeah I don't get it either. They have some really good molds in excellent plastics. I think a lot of bad publicity has come from the initial super team all slowly but surely leaving. Should have started out more humble.

Yeah for some reason people want it to be true that disc golf pros can make a living being disc golf pros. Prodigy was in the unfortunate position of delivering the very bad news; not really possible yet.

I had to vote for Prodigy...not into their plastic or the way they name discs. Even worse is MVP. I just can't do the overmolds. After throwing some stuff from DD, I might have to add them to the list. I threw one shot with a Marshal and the basket took a huge chuck out of the rim. There is no way those discs could make it through a single round in the woods!

I am also in the can't-see-why-everyone-still-hates-on-Prodigy camp. I get the annoyance at their arrogance when the company first started in 2013, and the re-stamping of other company's discs by their pros at the time. But it's been almost 4 years now, and I don't see them being any worse now than any any other disc company. They've lost a lot of their "dream team," but they still support quite a few great pros including Jeremy Koling, who is honestly one of the nicest guys on tour. As far as their discs, they definitely have consistency issues, but so does every other company. I see their 400S/G plastic as being some of the more unique premium plastic on the market (as in not just a straight copy of Star or Champ). I think DGCR just has a really long memory for things it doesn't like.

I put Lightning cause their discs weren't good.

These poll comments read more like which fanboys annoy you most, than disc brand. I run into mostly Innova or Triology fanboys so if that was the poll I'd vote for them. Prodigy just built hype they couldn't possibly live up to, I find their disc as good as any other company.

I am also in the can't-see-why-everyone-still-hates-on-Prodigy camp. I get the annoyance at their arrogance when the company first started in 2013, and the re-stamping of other company's discs by their pros at the time. But it's been almost 4 years now, and I don't see them being any worse now than any any other disc company. They've lost a lot of their "dream team," but they still support quite a few great pros including Jeremy Koling, who is honestly one of the nicest guys on tour. As far as their discs, they definitely have consistency issues, but so does every other company. I see their 400S/G plastic as being some of the more unique premium plastic on the market (as in not just a straight copy of Star or Champ). I think DGCR just has a really long memory for things it doesn't like.

Big Jerm went to Innova.

I don't think it's the molds nor the plastics, which are fine. I understand the issues stated by some with the naming of discs, but their system is easy to figure out. So it's a people problem that Prodigy has. Maybe they need to make a "Beast Mode" commercial... ;)

Cool, I stand corrected about Jerm. He's still a great guy that was Prodigy sponsored for the last 4 years, which doesn't make me hate Prodigy, even if they no longer sponsor him. I think most likely the reality is that Prodigy just doesn't sell enough discs to afford all the big names they sponsored. They ran out of their seed funding and need to be self sustaining now. I could be totally wrong; just speculating there. I saw today that Zach Melton (also a great dude from all accounts) has left Prodigy for Dynamic as well. I DO hope that Prodigy doesn't go under because I do like their plastic blends and more choice is always better for us players.

Seems DD/Trilogy is getting a bit top heavy with all the pros. I don't know how there business is doing but, in a year or two from now will we see a big flight from them too?

Not a accusation, just wondering.

Seems DD/Trilogy is getting a bit top heavy with all the pros. I don't know how there business is doing but, in a year or two from now will we see a big flight from them too?
Not a accusation, just wondering.

I'm seeing more DD discs in the big box stores as well as more Trilogy in the PIASs and online. From the anecdotal data, it seems like they're growing. Time will tell on the loyalty of their pros...

Yeah I see DD and Latitude sponsoring a lot of top players too. I know Latitude REALLY wanted a world champion for a while and were willing to pay top dollar. Now that they've got 2 (Ricky and JohnE), we'll see whether they continue shelling out for more and more pros or whether they will lighten their roster in the next couple years. I'm not really sure what DD is after although they do have a pretty big team now. I haven't seen much specifically Westside sponsorship at all, at least not in the US.

Btw, can someone point me at the "Pro team changes for 2017" thread? I can never remember which forum that thread gets started in.

I don't know if I'd go as far as terrible. I've certainly told worse.

Well, you could have made it worse by using live puppies and kittens from the humane society that Discraft actually killed.

(Except for the Comet, they kill Unicorns for the Comet.)

Well, you could have made it worse by using live puppies and kittens from the humane society that Discraft actually killed.

(Except for the Comet, they kill Unicorns for the Comet.)

I mean, it saves them from ending up in Ikea's meatballs.

I guess it's just the fickle nature of disc golf, one year "X" sucks and "Y" is all the rage and two years later it's the opposite.

Around these parts, DD was really hot last year and when PIS restocked 6 months ago, hardly any of it has moved and all the Innova stuff is just about gone.

I voted Prodigy for a few reasons, none of which have to do with the touring pros aspect. The naming convention is antithetical to how my brain processes information, it just is. When I go look for a book on my book shelf I look for the title and the cover art, not the ISBN. This is doubly compounded when they launched and goofed up some molds like the M2/M3, etc. Also when they launched, a lot of their discs were illegally overweight. Also when they launched, some of their colors had severe fading issues when left outside. Basically they had one chance to make an introduction and they didn't do a great job with it. That would've been okay ten years ago or so when it was basically just Innova and Discraft (Latitude had its learning curve too) but the manufacturer competition is a little too thick to get away with limping out the gates now.

I just recently acquired a M4 so when the weather warms up I'll give Prodigy a fair shake but all things considered they haven't done much to sway me into overcoming their usually higher sticker price at my local stores vs the brands I'm familiar with.

Latest posts