• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Disc for Dad

deyo7

Eagle Member
Alright, my dad joined me in the disc golf endeavor. The guy wants a new disc and I'm not going to stop him.

He currently throws around 250-270. But he is getting more consistent at those distances (much less 200 ft stall outs mixed in). And I even saw him throw his DX Beast about 280 last time we played, which was fairly respectable.

I think he would benefit from more of a speed 6-8ish controllable driver. I know at that range more discs aren't the answer but how about a Gold Line River? Does that sound reasonable? Gline FD? MVP Signal (he actually does really well approaching/shorter holes with his Tangent)? I've never thrown any of these but seem like common suggestions, outside of DX Leopard.

Thanks guys/gals

...MVP Signal (he actually does really well approaching/shorter holes with his Tangent)? I've never thrown any of these but seem like common suggestions, outside of DX Leopard...

I'm 58 (soon) and LOVE my Tangents. My Signal was my go to FW until I lost it. Relay is a close 2nd. And I bag Leopards in a few configs for Innova rounds. Relay is a little closer to the Leo for me.

So part of the question should be, what is he throwing now. You want to compliment the 6-8 speed drivers he has now. IE if he has a TBird or Eagle, a Maul or a Leopard would fit in nicely there.

If you are staying with Innova go with a putter (Dart, Nova, Aviar) or mid=roc, shark, mako or fairway=leopard. Discing down will help with form or increase distance and accuracy.

An MVP Relay. The Relay flies better for me than my Signal, though the Signal is seeing use as a roller.

I'm in my early 50s.

I like the Tangent as an approach disc, also. Great straight flight.

My suggestions for your dad:

S-line FD
Moonshine River (GL fine, but Moonshine takes longer to season in)
DX Archangel
Leopard3

Those are all reasonable. I'll also throw in a suggestion for a Stag. Very controllable, easy to throw, really glidey. I like the VIP ones for straight up the middle flyers, or maybe a little turn but will come back at the finish.

So part of the question should be, what is he throwing now. You want to compliment the 6-8 speed drivers he has now. IE if he has a TBird or Eagle, a Maul or a Leopard would fit in nicely there.

Yeah agreed but not certain. Know he has TL. Honestly don't think he has anything else in those speeds so think he'd benefit from a more understable disc.

Highly underutilized, but i find a Viking is great all around. Good glide and turn but stable enough to rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lat 64 Diamond! gave my dad one at 85 and it rocked his game. I have 3 myself, too..

Woah, 85?! Hats off to your old man, that's awesome.

My dad is 65 fwiw. I honestly think Diamond could be a real good fit. Thank you

My dad is in his mid 60s and throws a Leopard, Sidewinder and Stingray to pretty good affect. A Leo, River, Seer or similar could be good.

Deyo,
Are any of the discs that you feed/loan him clicking? Maybe have him get a new one of those. He will then have two available to throw. Encourages some field work, extra casual round tosses, aides some in teaching, etc..

Deyo,
Are any of the discs that you feed/loan him clicking? Maybe have him get a new one of those. He will then have two available to throw. Encourages some field work, extra casual round tosses, aides some in teaching, etc..

Hey Mark,

Couple things:
1) I'm only a year and some change in myself to playing consistently, and also started FH and thought I only needed overstable discs (been throwing BH consistently for 11 months). So, still working on accumulating proper discs.

2) Not for what I think he needs. Given him putters, mid, and Avenger SS type. I really think the hole in his bag is the easy to throw / understable ~7 speed discs. I sent him a list of above recommendations with comment.

I do have a Relay that I'm going to get in his hands first, which should aid in deciding what disc to grab from above. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Mark, I see you're in Des Moines. Me too. Let me know if you'd ever want to do a casual round sometime.

get him an envy or proxy too.

because of those molds, my mid ranges see little use.

leopard or mako3 would also be a suggestion for nis next disc, star or pro plastic

In Des Moines, Iron Lion Disc Golf ship near Grandview is quite friendly and helpful.

Just had a rough round at Becky Zallek at Prospect Park.

In Des Moines, Iron Lion Disc Golf ship near Grandview is quite friendly and helpful.

Just had a rough round at Becky Zallek at Prospect Park.

Nice, will check out sometime.

Oh Becky, she giveth and taketh away.

get him an envy or proxy too.

because of those molds, my mid ranges see little use.

leopard or mako3 would also be a suggestion for nis next disc, star or pro plastic

I actually did get him a Proxy, which he uses but he tends to throw the Tangent where I'd throw the Proxy, but that's fine. Do you use the mako3? If so, curious how pairs with proxy... I assume slightly redundant? Or was that just suggestion for easy straight flyer?

Latest posts