• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc for Sidearm Rollers?

LSUWizard

After hitting a lot of trees in a tournament this past weekend I've decided I really need to learn to throw a roller. I tried using the search function but I couldn't find an answer as to what type of disc would work best for a sidearm roller. The reason I ask for forehand is because my backhand is horrible.

1) What disc would you recommend as a good sidearm roller?

2) Out of the discs that I have below what would you recommend?
Champ/DX Banshee
Star Wraith
Champ Firebird
Z Crush
Champ Valk
Polaris
Z Wildcat
Star Max
Cyclone
KC Pro Cheetah

I would think that the same discs that are good for backhand rollers would work for sidearm rollers. It's basically the same shot, just spinning the opposite way. Of those discs I would say the cheetah, but only because my friend could throw rollers with a dx one. I'm not big on rollers, but I'm sure somebody will chime in with some good info.

If I'm throwing a driver for a forehand roller, the firebird would be my pick. If the shule isn't too bad, putters as forehand rollers can be quite accurate. They do require some imagination for the line at times though :).

From what I have read on this site, most players tend to use overstable discs for sidearm rollers. The Firebird or Max would fit that bill. I'm more of a backhand roller, so my knowledge of sidearm is limited.

I have several big roller shots for sidearm. I throw my Big big drives sidearm, and most of my rollers sidearm too.
My 2 Roller shots are this.
1) Understable plastic, thrown with a hyzer-flip, just like throwing a roller with a backhand. I throw a beat up old school Champion Edition Valk. THis is my main roller. I also use a slightly beat in Pro-Line Inferno (Gateway), since its got a similar flight to my valk.
2) The other roller I throw is my Stable driver Sky roller. I'll throw a stable beat in ChampionOrc, or a Star Beast. These two discs turn over ever so slightly for my drives. So what I do is throw them with 1000000% power at about 1 oclock (12 oclock = pin), And i throw them level. The force you put on it for throwing the bajeeeezus out of it will turn it over. Mine go about 250-280 feet, and land......
Start rolling right, stand up, and make their way back to the left towards the pin.

You gotta realize that once you start getting real sidearm power into your drives, you'll probably turn discs over easier. From there its just a matter of finding what turns over just enough for you to control the angle and get max D out of a roller.

1) What disc would you recommend as a good sidearm roller?
Valk, lighter beast, beat up wraith. Basically anything you turn and are comfortable with.

2) Out of the discs that I have below what would you recommend?
Champ/DX Banshee
Star Wraith
Champ Firebird
Z Crush
Champ Valk
Polaris
Z Wildcat
Star Max
Cyclone
KC Pro Cheetah[/quote]

Out of these discs, I'd go with the Dx Banshee, Champ valk. I'd say the polaris, because its made to turn... But Ive never really seen anyone use it as a roller.

I honestly don't recommend using a Firebird or a Max for a turnover roller shot, because to get the most out of it you really wanna throw your disc with a hyzerflip. If you throw a firebird or a max, It'll be SOOO overstable that you'll have to throw it like a tomahawk at the ground. Once it hits the ground, its really not that far from your lie, and it'll almost be vertical as it lands. Hence it wont be long before the disc turns over to its topside (to the left for a right handed sidearm roller). And you really wont get much D out of it at all.

Sorry its so long. :(
Are you going to the Bayou Bogey next weekend Wizard?
I'll be there. I can show you some pointers and really show you a few sidearm bombs if you wanna pick up a few points... I can really show you the flight path and line you should be aiming for to maximize the potential of it.
Lemme know, and I'll find ya there.

No I'm not going to be able to make another tournament until the one at Highland next month. Did you make it out to the Baker tournament last weekend? I was there but I must have left my game at home because I did horrible.

Yeah, i did decent. Had fun, but didnt really do that great. I love the pro tees there tho.

That tournament actually forced me to pull drivers out of my bag, and throw several rocs back in.
Off of 80% of my drives at Greenwood, I threw my Gateway Element.
So I've been doin it on my home course as well.

Thanks for the correction AcidBatH, no wonder my sidearm roller is terrible. I will try some understable plastic next time.

im not sayin its wrong, but its basically the same principles of a backhand roller. Only (in my opinion), you create more offaxis torque and it should be easier to turn it over...

And think about it, Not many ppl really roll firebirds from backhands either :)

AciDBatH666 said:
im not sayin its wrong, but its basically the same principles of a backhand roller. Only (in my opinion), you create more offaxis torque and it should be easier to turn it over...

I think what I got out of what you said was that for distance forehand rollers understable plastic is the way to go, and id have to agree with that.
But for shorter, more precise forehand rollers the firebird can work well if thrown like you were talking about (tommy).
Id have to also echo the putter for shorter more technical "save shot" forehand rollers, so long as the underbrush allows it.

If I need a straight tight line, the more overstable the better. The more arm speed you can generate without much torque (wobble) the faster a disc will work for this shot, but regardless of armspeed, slower overstable mids are great choices.

For distance rollers, same route as backhand with understable plastic hyzer flipped and landing it 70-80% of comfortable max distance for an air shot.

Overstable mids:
Sharp Shooter #3
Arrow (I know it's a putter but when rolling it's in the mids catagory)
Roc
Wasp
Drone
Demon

For overstable drivers, I recommend discs that get their stability from rim design such as Banshee, Whippet, Firebird, Predator, Spirit, Speed Demon, X-Clone, ect.

Along with deaddisc and Further that putters > any other type of disc for ultimate control and accuracy.

deaddisc said:
AciDBatH666 said:

I think what I got out of what you said was that for distance forehand rollers understable plastic is the way to go, and id have to agree with that.
But for shorter, more precise forehand rollers the firebird can work well if thrown like you were talking about (tommy).
Id have to also echo the putter for shorter more technical "save shot" forehand rollers, so long as the underbrush allows it.

Yeah sorry, In my head it came out making sense till I typed it out and crossed thoughts.
Big distance rollers should be understable discs. The shorter ones, almost anything will work, but you're right. You'll prolly have more accuracy with a more overstable disc. I rarely throw short rollers tho, so I cant really comment too much on it.
Pretty much, if you know what the disc is gonna do (over or understable), more power to ya. Throw wucha know.. ya know?

AciDBatH666 said:
1) Understable plastic, thrown with a hyzer-flip, just like throwing a roller with a backhand. I throw a beat up old school Champion Edition Valk.

Amen to that! I've got an old beat CE Valk that I found (no name/#). It is absolute money for a sidearm roller. I throw it hard at about 1:30

I usually get my best results with a semi beat champion firebird. It acts just like it would in the air so I essentially set it out on an angle (around 1:00 or 2:00 o'clock) dependent on where i want it, throw the piss out of it, and eventually it comes back to the left.