• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc for your companion?

I actually was waiting for a friend to show up the other day and saw a guy throwing probably a star or champion disc(less opaque) to his dog. The dog seemed to really love chasing that thing down, but once they started his round he put the dog on a leash. I don't know if it was the leash or that the dog knows that 1 disc is his/hers but that dog didn't seem to care much for their discs once they were on the course.

Anyways the reason I dredge this thread back up from its slumber is I was wondering if anyone has experience with any of hero disc's dog discs or their super class disc(which I hear you can get in pretty heavy weights). I may not get any, but just wondering. On another note I recently got an old ultimate like disc(brother found when cleaning) that must be 180g if not more...says Roc on the bottom too, but it also said made in taiwan.

ive been trying but i have a 9 month old choc lab...that bird-dog mentality makes her really like tracking anything in the sky or bouncing around on the ground. she FLIPS OUT when she sees a roller. chases it down and goobers all over it. she took her first big shot at the course yesterday. champ boss at about 100' from a red-level player. chomped it while it whizzed by at about 4' high. didnt catch it, but shook it off and looked at me as of to say "ok throw your aviar next!"

I have a pure bred German Shorthaired Pointer named Cope, being a bird dog by nature he loves to play fetch and has a very soft mouth, meaning he knows not to chew on what he is retrieving, or the magical collar he is wearing will zap his sorry ass. In light of this, he loves his 175 DX Birdie. With a long gentle anhyzer, he catches very well.

this isnt really relevant,but the other week i was playin my home course. it is a big facility with soccer fields, football fields etc, and on the 3rd hole i had just thrown my approach, when i see a damn dog bolt out of the woods and grab my disc! naturally, i get ready to chase the dog, when the owner yells the digs name and says 'no'. i started walkin over [ i was fumin] and they apologized kinda, but that wasnt good enough for me. i proceed to ask her if she knows how much discs cost, she says a few bucks. i correct her explaining the disc cost me $16, and theyre not cheap. i then asked her if she can read, because the sign clearly says animals must be on a leash. then she gives me a sincere apology lol, and i continue my round. stupid people!

this isnt really relevant,but the other week i was playin my home course. it is a big facility with soccer fields, football fields etc, and on the 3rd hole i had just thrown my approach, when i see a damn dog bolt out of the woods and grab my disc! naturally, i get ready to chase the dog, when the owner yells the digs name and says 'no'. i started walkin over [ i was fumin] and they apologized kinda, but that wasnt good enough for me. i proceed to ask her if she knows how much discs cost, she says a few bucks. i correct her explaining the disc cost me $16, and theyre not cheap. i then asked her if she can read, because the sign clearly says animals must be on a leash. then she gives me a sincere apology lol, and i continue my round. stupid people!

Haha, that might have been a lil harsh, my fiance probably would have told you to suck it and sickd our dog on you, lol. But ya, leash laws are real laws and people need to remember this and act accordingly.

If you want a Frisbee for your dog to play with, I highly recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/white-GUMABONE-FRISBEE-LG-Large/dp/B0002ASPXM
My dog played with it for years with barely a tooth mark and she could destroy a regular Frisbee in minutes.
It's a Whamo made out of a pretty indestructable Gumabone plastic and flies pretty good too. And it's nice and soft and flexible so it won't hurt your dogs mouth.

If you want a Frisbee for your dog to play with, I highly recommend this one:
http://www.amazon.com/white-GUMABONE-FRISBEE-LG-Large/dp/B0002ASPXM
My dog played with it for years with barely a tooth mark and she could destroy a regular Frisbee in minutes.
It's a Whamo made out of a pretty indestructable Gumabone plastic and flies pretty good too. And it's nice and soft and flexible so it won't hurt your dogs mouth.

I will have to remember that. My dog destroys everything he can. Was looking for a disc to give him cause the stack of dollar frisbees was out, and gave him my 7 year old Aviar. Right away, he has put holes in the top.

I will have to remember that. My dog destroys everything he can. Was looking for a disc to give him cause the stack of dollar frisbees was out, and gave him my 7 year old Aviar. Right away, he has put holes in the top.

yea, thats whats wrong with my girls dog...a purebreed boxer, hes an ******* too!! I took him to the park down the street (we have ball fields) and threw an old DX beast I found a long time ago, first throw he runs after it grabs it and chomps holes in the flight plate! then the big ****er wouldn't give it back...I had to litterally twist it out of his mouth...I was mad lol....figured it would have made a little more fun that one throw...she hasn't trained him to "drop it" so whats in his mouth is officially HIS...:thmbdown: but I love the big dumb dog to death lol....what about that kong disc? kongs are nearly indestructable I thought...

yea, thats whats wrong with my girls dog...a purebreed boxer, hes an ******* too!! I took him to the park down the street (we have ball fields) and threw an old DX beast I found a long time ago, first throw he runs after it grabs it and chomps holes in the flight plate! then the big ****er wouldn't give it back...I had to litterally twist it out of his mouth...I was mad lol....figured it would have made a little more fun that one throw...she hasn't trained him to "drop it" so whats in his mouth is officially HIS...:thmbdown: but I love the big dumb dog to death lol....what about that kong disc? kongs are nearly indestructable I thought...

LMAO its funny you say that because my dog is also a pure bread boxer. :hfive:

I dont know if you can teach them to "drop it", I have tried for years. I read that they are more of "chewers" than "fetchers" and you just described the exact behavior he has. Not to mention, once you get it back, it is dripping with slobber.

He is also amzingly loveable for an ******* dog.

+1 for the Gumabone dealio. My neighbors used to have one for their boxer (funny that you mention...) and we ended up getting one for our English Bulldog...they're not fetchers...they're not chewers.

They're lock on and never let go EVERS.

So if we were playing catch we'd take that disc too...so when my mom eventually let her out (not checking to see if we were out there) and the dog would come BARRELING at us...we'd just switch to her disc for a while and then we'd overshoot somebody on purpose and she'd go get it and be happy for several minutes until she'd come over to me with her disc like "hey...you've got a new one...aren't you supposed to try to get this one from me?"

Then we'd play monkey in the middle with the catch disc...so she'd forget about the other one. Pick up her disc and show it to her and she'd look at you like "OH man! You got me!" then we'd repeat the cycle.

She could do this for HOURS. Such a DUMB and LOVABLE dog.

\/\/

LMAO its funny you say that because my dog is also a pure bread boxer. :hfive:

I dont know if you can teach them to "drop it", I have tried for years. I read that they are more of "chewers" than "fetchers" and you just described the exact behavior he has. Not to mention, once you get it back, it is dripping with slobber.

He is also amzingly loveable for an ******* dog.

yea, icon (his name) thinks hes a lap dog...SUPER slobbery...like more then any other boxer I have seen lol....I have white marks all over my bed sheets that don't look right..but its from his jowels rubbing against the dark blue :\ I gave him his first disc...it was a F-15 lightening I had found...he LOVED IT...chewed it to hell in about 2 days...we put it away he would sit next to he bag and pout...it was cute...then the next one I gave him he chewed it all to hell too...they are like weapons now....he KILLS squeakers after like 1 day...so expensive to keep him occupied cause nothing lasts!! lol

+1 for the Gumabone dealio. My neighbors used to have one for their boxer (funny that you mention...) and we ended up getting one for our English Bulldog...they're not fetchers...they're not chewers.

They're lock on and never let go EVERS.

So if we were playing catch we'd take that disc too...so when my mom eventually let her out (not checking to see if we were out there) and the dog would come BARRELING at us...we'd just switch to her disc for a while and then we'd overshoot somebody on purpose and she'd go get it and be happy for several minutes until she'd come over to me with her disc like "hey...you've got a new one...aren't you supposed to try to get this one from me?"

Then we'd play monkey in the middle with the catch disc...so she'd forget about the other one. Pick up her disc and show it to her and she'd look at you like "OH man! You got me!" then we'd repeat the cycle.

She could do this for HOURS. Such a DUMB and LOVABLE dog.

\/\/

thats funny...my girl wants to get an english bulldog....but they are like 1200 bucks for a puppy...SO adorable...but SO expensive!! :(

i have a 5 yr old chocolate lab that loves to catch and return. He has had one of these for a while now and hasn't been able to put a scratch on it. you can even remove the stamp with acetone and custom dye it if you like.
http://www.herodiscusa.com/hero-super-hero.html
Only problem is now i can't take him with me when i play b/c at the sight of a disc he starts to get into chase mode....

We've got a 7 y.o. boxer/lab/pit mix. The Lab genes make him want to ALWAYS bring it back. the Boxer genes make him want to obsess over it and run victory laps around you. The Pit genes make him never want to let go. We have a few tricks to convince him to drop though. usually a ball or stick or some other toy that he will get fired up about.

He's a great disc dog but I could never keep him away from discs on the course. He'd just retrieve every throw and never give them back.

the Aerobie Squdgie discs fly amazingly well and are somewhat durable. I think i got Ollie's for like 4 dollars at sports authority.
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/SquidgieDisc.htm

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 7
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 7
Haha, that might have been a lil harsh, my fiance probably would have told you to suck it and sickd our dog on you, lol. But ya, leash laws are real laws and people need to remember this and act accordingly.
i think i snapped mainly b/c i was havin a bad round thus far, but still theres no excuse for bringing ur dog to a park w/ a disc course if u KNOW they like chasing stuff down! :doh: