• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf and College

USA in Mobile, AL. Good business school. Warm climate. Frisky Southern coeds.
An 18 on campus. 2 more a 10-minute walk away. 4 more a 10-12 minute drive.

USA in Mobile, AL. Good business school. Warm climate. Frisky Southern coeds.
An 18 on campus. 2 more a 10-minute walk away. 4 more a 10-12 minute drive.

:doh: Obviously you'll get some "interesting" responses on a DG forum about academics but this one is nutty. I get that everyone has a hometown/place-they-live that they want to support but this advice needs to be rooted in reality. USA is the 52 ranked university in the South! Not exactly the strongest educational environment.

Things you'll never hear...
"Yeah, I was accepted to Harvard, Dartmouth and Stanford, but I'm went to to USA for the disc golf."

Arizona!!

Flagstaff, AZ or somewhere nearby, for sure! Plenty of great courses in AZ, but I visited Flagstaff recently and it has a great college, NAU, AND great disc courses in Flag' but many others in AZ also. Plus, ppl I played with there were very friendly. Even saw foursomes of all girls playing and its hot there, so they dress 'comfortably' and are just fun to play and hang around with.

Not going to read every post so sorry if this is a repeat. Pick a school based on what's best for your life and your major. Disc golf is a hobby. Plus, college is partially for making some lasting friendships and memories. Nothing says fun and friends like a disc golf road trip. So if your local area sucks for disc golf in school, spend a few weekends with buddies branching out, camping, disc golfing, and possibly enjoying a few frosty beverages.

answer the question already

Why doesn't anyone just answer this guy's question and quite trying to give him life advice and guidance counseling???! The fact that he even wants to go to college shows he's on the right path. Give it a break all u disc-guru Know-it-alls!!!

AIM, I have heard that most of the Twin Cities courses have gone to pay to play?
If true, that probably means it is not an optimal college town for DG; college kids are generally broke; your friends may be broke, even if you aren't (not to mention the snow/cold)
Dallas/FW area is good (usually warm climate) for DG & for college options (check out TCU or SMU for your business/Finance degree); haven't been there, but Arizona prob. has 'em beat just by virtue of weather....

Why doesn't anyone just answer this guy's question and quite trying to give him life advice and guidance counseling???! The fact that he even wants to go to college shows he's on the right path. Give it a break all u disc-guru Know-it-alls!!!

Or even just read his posts.

Well the title kind of gives an idea about this thread...my question to you guys is where do you think the best disc golf area that has a college in it is, i am going to college in a year or so and i would like disc golf to remain as my favorite sport so i would like to look for a college in a good disc golf area, i would like suggestions on what you guys think, it would be nice if the place is preferably warm year round and has a school team! as of right now i'm thinking about either Colorado or California.

The Twin Cities is warm year round, compared to what?

sorry i should have added this isnt gonna be the deciding factor on where i go to college it will just have an influence, i also want to major in Business, specifically Finance and most likely go to grad school, and the tuition costs arent a problem for me.

For a great Disc Golf Town look at Emporia State University. Loads of quality courses in town, and half way between Wichita and Kansas City, also both great disc golf cities. Or you could check out my shameless plug for Barclay College (www.barclaycollege.edu) where I am trying to start a brand new disc golf club.

For a great Disc Golf Town look at Emporia State University. Loads of quality courses in town, and half way between Wichita and Kansas City, also both great disc golf cities. Or you could check out my shameless plug for Barclay College (www.barclaycollege.edu) where I am trying to start a brand new disc golf club.

You realize this thread is 6 years old?

If I could do college all over again, I would definitely go out of state to the south/southwest for the warm winters. Maybe Charlotte area for the weather + discgolf.

MS&T in Rolla Mo is a great school and has one good course and one OK course. But it's close to several great courses. MS&T is also a tough school to get in to and to stay in. One of my kids went there and walked out with a business/IT degree and walked right into a plum job.

Saw the business/finance major.

Nobody hired a business major. You will need a grad degree to mean anything.

Recommend accounting

Man, what would it be like to be a college kid with ample Disc Golf opportunities? My university (Ball State) has three courses nearby now. In 1991 I'd have to have a car (I didn't) to drive an hour away to Indianapolis for the nearest basket. So I was one of five people I witnessed throwing actual Golf Discs (A Stingray, Roc, F-15 Eagle, Aviar Putter and that's it) at objects at a college with 20,000 students. The fat squirrels in the quad didn't seem to mind. There were other weird things going on here and there too.

I'm sure several of you reading can say, "Baskets? When I was a college kid we were lucky to have Pluto Platters!"

My goodness, if I was a college kid now my grades would suffer tremendously if a course was within biking distance.

Man, what would it be like to be a college kid with ample Disc Golf opportunities? My university (Ball State) has three courses nearby now. In 1991 I'd have to have a car (I didn't) to drive an hour away to Indianapolis for the nearest basket. So I was one of five people I witnessed throwing actual Golf Discs (A Stingray, Roc, F-15 Eagle, Aviar Putter and that's it) at objects at a college with 20,000 students. The fat squirrels in the quad didn't seem to mind. There were other weird things going on here and there too.

I'm sure several of you reading can say, "Baskets? When I was a college kid we were lucky to have Pluto Platters!"

My goodness, if I was a college kid now my grades would suffer tremendously if a course was within biking distance.

I did a summer semester at Northwestern Michigan College and had a course on campus and a basket about 50 or so feet from my dorm room window.