• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Course for Sale on Ebay!?

I hope someone doesn't buy it and let it go to crap. looks like a great course. and it's only at $4000 right now :). I'm wondering what this is going to end at. I would think 500,000? that's a lot of land.

From the pictures I have seen of Hyzer creek it is a beautiful course. We should all pitch in some money and have the first ever DGCR member owned disc golf course.

Dude that is sweet. We can just all pitch in like Camgolfer said and then build a huge lodge for us to all live in. Since we will all have to sell our own houses right now just to afford this place by the time the auction is done.

Oh yeah that price is gonna go up astronomically but thats pretty awesome. I wonder what the story behind selling it is.

I've got friends in NYC...I'm going to make a couple of calls:)

I've been up there once. Wish I could buy it, very nice area. The course is definitely rural.. I'm not sure how I even found it since it was at least a couple of years before DGCR ;)

In college, I used to joke with people that I wanted to be the Donald Trump of disc golf:)
Considering it's in such a rural area, I'm not sure how much of a money maker it would be unless you could get a few big tourneys there a year. Anyone have experience with decent size tourneys? How much can a good course clear for a good tourney for a weekend?

tim - How far from Rochester is it? I've got a friend in the city who may be interested...he's a young guy with a little bit of family money into real estate. I told him that it may not make him a fortune, but that he could probably make his $$ back in a few years and have some fun doing it!

Alright the price is already up to almost $11K...which one of you guys is bidding??

Waynewf, from what I understand, tourneys normally LOSE money. Of course, my only experience has been smaller C and B tiers.

I guess there will be some unhappy people putting their baskets into storage.

"Pin sponsors either donated a pin or donated the cost of a pin to the course, which is $400, or put in an amount of labor equal to one pin. The benefit of sponsoring a pin is, pin sponsors get to play the course for free, for life. If the course is ever pulled, you take the pin, you own it (you paid for it!)."

Waynewf, from what I understand, tourneys normally LOSE money. Of course, my only experience has been smaller C and B tiers.

Really? Most tourneys lose money? You see, I'm an accountant...so I find that unacceptable:) My boss used to plan trail races in Steamboat Springs, CO and tells me stories about, even in his smaller races, walking away with a few hundred dollars and a bunch of leftover schwag.
I know running is popular...but I've got to feel that if people can make money running small trail races, then there is some money to be made off of a disc golf course....although if it's that far off the beaten path...I don't know...

tim - How far from Rochester is it? I've got a friend in the city who may be interested...he's a young guy with a little bit of family money into real estate. I told him that it may not make him a fortune, but that he could probably make his $$ back in a few years and have some fun doing it!
It's probably about 2.5 hours or so from Rochester. It is one of the very few disc golf options in that area so if you drummed up some local interest in the sport, setup a little pro shop, got a few larger events there, etc. you might be able to at least live off it.

As far as tourneys losing money, I think that's the case since they're usually run by volunteers and enthusiasts. If you really put in the effort, you could make money off them. For example, I'd guess that Steve Dodge probably makes a few bucks off the Vibram Open. Granted, that's a much larger event than local tournaments but the potential to make money is there. I wouldn't see a problem with a tournament organizer getting say, 5% of the proceeds and lowering the payouts. It's a lot of work to organize those things and I don't see why they shouldn't be compensated.

Disclaimer: I'm not a tournament player and haven't organized one so if I'm 100% wrong, it's not my fault :)

Last edited:

Latest posts