• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

picture.php

Ha!! I've seen that! Near one of the best courses in the country. :thmbup::thmbup:

Was it the music festival or the tournament they were investigating?
List of names of all the people arrested included.

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019...isc-golf-music-festival-state-police-say.html

From what I know of it, it's much more of a music festival than anything else. It just happens to have a disc golf course set up as part of the festivities and the promoters seem to want to highlight that fact.

The first year or two of the festival, it was held at an actual disc golf course. And they promoted it to the disc golf community as a tournament. Those that attended were not impressed with the tournament aspect (bands playing loudly, "hippies" wandering through oblivious to the course/players, unorganized, poorly handled prizes/awards, etc) and gave it some bad reviews. Over the next couple years the "tournament" side was moved off-site from the festival, then abandoned entirely in favor of a temp course set up on site and no organized competition...at least not anything that was advertised broadly to the disc community.

Frankly, every year I hear about it happening or having happened, I'm surprised the thing is still going on.

From what I know of it, it's much more of a music festival than anything else. It just happens to have a disc golf course set up as part of the festivities and the promoters seem to want to highlight that fact.

The first year or two of the festival, it was held at an actual disc golf course. And they promoted it to the disc golf community as a tournament. Those that attended were not impressed with the tournament aspect (bands playing loudly, "hippies" wandering through oblivious to the course/players, unorganized, poorly handled prizes/awards, etc) and gave it some bad reviews. Over the next couple years the "tournament" side was moved off-site from the festival, then abandoned entirely in favor of a temp course set up on site and no organized competition...at least not anything that was advertised broadly to the disc community.

Frankly, every year I hear about it happening or having happened, I'm surprised the thing is still going on.

Hate to say it but you'd think the major disc golf companies would want to distance themselves from this thing and advise the players they sponsor to stay away as well. That is really some negative publicity even if the disc golf aspect of the festival had nothing to do with the drug arrests. Some hardcore drugs listed there too.

Hate to say it but you'd think the major disc golf companies would want to distance themselves from this thing and advise the players they sponsor to stay away as well. That is really some negative publicity even if the disc golf aspect of the festival had nothing to do with the drug arrests. Some hardcore drugs listed there too.

It could be worse, they could still have the event as a PDGA event. Of course the bright side is that if the event was still PDGA sponsored then we would have the tournament shut down.

However it sounds like the PDGA had its side leave so the event is working without the PDGA, however that should have been a tip off for the sponsor Innova to have a person enter the event who worked for Innova and is closer to the factory then say a touring Pro with Innova sponsor. This is sad because it puts Pro Disc Golf in a bad position that the majority of players at the Pro level do Hardcore Party Drugs, especially since Nikko Locastro and Nate Barsby near top level players were at the event.

I think Stuff like this is why people do not want to be associated with disc golf even people who are into the other big disc sport Ultimate. Also makes the case hard for Disc Golf to be taken as a serious sport the way Ultimate is.

Last edited:
It could be worse, they could still have the event as a PDGA event. Of course the bright side is that if the event was still PDGA sponsored then we would have the tournament shut down.

However it sounds like the PDGA had its side leave so the event is working without the PDGA, however that should have been a tip off for the sponsor Innova to have a person enter the event who worked for Innova and is closer to the factory then say a touring Pro with Innova sponsor. This is sad because it puts Pro Disc Golf in a bad position that the majority of players at the Pro level do Hardcore Party Drugs, especially since Nikko Locastro and Nate Barsby near top level players were at the event.

I think Stuff like this is why people do not want to be associated with disc golf even people who are into the other big disc sport Ultimate. Also makes the case hard for Disc Golf to be taken as a serious sport the way Ultimate is.

Agree with your comment totally. Of course the article itself could have been written a bit differently as well.

Agree with your comment totally. Of course the article itself could have been written a bit differently as well.

They made the article sound like the Disc Golf part was right on the Fetival site even though they moved it. also article made it sound like the Disc Golf players were using the more hardcore drugs besides Pot. If this is what happened to the Canadygua Open and Candyuga Amateur done in Rochester area in the 2000's then I am disappointed to what Jim Palmrie's event has become, the longest running in disc golf about 8-9 years before the PDGA was created.

Is this the course in Liverpool, we have relatives in that area who made one of the two courses since upgraded from old Mach III to modern Mach V. They were contacted more due to the fact the uncle is a pro landscaper with his own company so has design experience and he and his son play disc golf. The father and son more or less did just the design for the course in a bad slightly swampy in the wrong part of the year course.

99% of the attendees were not arrested for anything and there were several bands that bring the Wooks out. I also heard < 20 people played the disc golf tournament. Percentage wise, I have seen more people arrested at Grateful Dead, Furthur and Dead and Co shows for selling bootleg t-shirts in the lot.

I am all for security and keeping people safe in large crowds but this is from last night at Dead and Co. at Saratoga which seems a bit excessive unless their was a threat.

Attachments

• 36D6A75A-3CB3-43D1-A9D8-99D0A1D6B88B.jpg
    36D6A75A-3CB3-43D1-A9D8-99D0A1D6B88B.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 97

Not a good look at all - first of all, nobody wants anyone to get hurt. Second, this is the type of thing that will be dredged up for town hall meetings on whether or not to fund that new 18-holer in town. :wall:

Meanwhile those swing sets you see in the background cause way more injuries annually than disc golf ever has.

Irrelevant to the public. Disc golf is different and unfamiliar therefor every disc has the potential to cause catastrophic injury. The over-reaction of the news and resulting public panic is justified. Facts be danged.

-Dave

Latest posts