• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

Actually, I find it diminishes the power of the add quite a bit. When ever I see that image I can't help thinking: why didn't they use an actual Native-American? the guy's Italian-American.

Check out dude's costume on Let's Make a Deal...

They only offered him $3k to turn down a chance at a new car?!? Of course he's gonna take that chance, especially when it got to 50-50 odds!!
Haven't watched Let's Make a Deal in forever, but that seems really cheap!!

CONGRATS!! Disc Golf Guy!!! :clap::clap:

They only offered him $3k to turn down a chance at a new car?!? Of course he's gonna take that chance, especially when it got to 50-50 odds!!
Haven't watched Let's Make a Deal in forever, but that seems really cheap!!

CONGRATS!! Disc Golf Guy!!! :clap::clap:

They never show the contestant's faces :eek: when they're told how much they are going to have to take out a loan for to pay the taxes and other fees on the car they won.

They never show the contestant's faces :eek: when they're told how much they are going to have to take out a loan for to pay the taxes and other fees on the car they won.

That brings up a good point. For touring professionals, how do taxes exactly work? If a player wins $2000 at an event, are taxes immediately taken out of that? Or do they pay a lump sum when tax time comes and just considers it as part of their annual income?

I only ask this because when I was 18-21, while going to college, I was considered a self contractor for an appraisal company (it was kind of sketchy how it all worked considering what I was actually doing). The paychecks were nice, but every year I had to pay a lot in taxes, and I never saved anything back. My boss always warned me to save money back with each check, but I was way too naïve to do that. So when tax time came, I was scrambling to come up with money to pay, and I never really knew how much I owed until the forms were completed. And I was constantly procrastinating things, so I would always wait until the last minute to file.

Last edited:
That brings up a good point. For touring professionals, how do taxes exactly work? If a player wins $2000 at an event, are taxes immediately taken out of that? Or do they pay a lump sum when tax time comes and just considers it as part of their annual income?

I only ask this because when I was 18-21, while going to college, I was considered a self contractor for an appraisal company (it was kind of sketchy how it all worked considering what I was actually doing). The paychecks were nice, but every year I had to pay a lot in taxes, and I never saved anything back. My boss always warned me to save money back with each check, but I was way too naïve to do that. So when tax time came, I was scrambling to come up with money to pay, and I never really knew how much I owed until the forms were completed. And I was constantly procrastinating things, so I would always wait until the last minute to file.

No one is deducting and submitting taxes on tournament payouts. It's incumbent on the players to report their income and pay the taxes on it. It's never been something I've dealt with myself, but it is my understanding that the PDGA submits 1099 forms for players that win more than $600 at an event. So it would be difficult for the touring players that are winning in excess of $1000 on any given weekend to hide that income by not declaring it.

If touring players are smart, they're operating as independent contractors and tracking their expenses to file as deductions that will reduce their tax burden at the end of the year.

I make a conscious effort to schedule /route my road trips to avoid tournaments, so as to make my casual round more enjoyable, but...

If touring players are smart, they're operating as independent contractors and tracking their expenses to file as deductions that will reduce their tax burden at the end of the year.

^ this post has me rethinking that strategy.

*starts playing in Open and Pro Master 50+ divisions... and saving receipts from road trips, discs, equipment and park fees.*
*realizes Lloyd Weema's genius*

Perhaps even better to incorporate or create LLC. Otherwise, I think you still have to have net income in at least 2 of the last 5 years to avoid having your "business" considered a hobby. Of course for casual weekend "pros" you could probably put just enough expenses against your winnings each year to breakeven or make a few dollars.

Actually, I find it diminishes the power of the add quite a bit. When ever I see that image I can't help thinking: why didn't they use an actual Native-American? the guy's Italian-American.

Not to get into a hair-splitting contest or anything, but the first thing you said was that it was "very touching." Let's just stick with that.

A lot of films, ads, and TV shows try to teach us something through their respective art forms. The absence of "actual" doctors, lawyers, or pro hopscotchers shouldn't really affect critical thinking...

Put another way, LaVar Burton and John Amos weren't actual slaves, but I still cry when I watch Roots.

Not to get into a hair-splitting contest or anything, but the first thing you said was that it was "very touching." Let's just stick with that...
[/I]

You should have stuck with that. I have no problem with actors playing roles, the guy makes a great Native-American. It was an award winning commercial that got lots of air time. But when I found out he wasn't Native-American it made me think: ok, the sponsors want you to think they care about Native-Americans, their rich history and heritage but, apparently, they don't care enough to actually hire one for their add. So yeah, the fact that "Iron Eyes Cody" (aka Espera de Corti) is not Native-American definitely diminished the power of the add for me.

You should have stuck with that. I have no problem with actors playing roles, the guy makes a great Native-American. It was an award winning commercial that got lots of air time. But when I found out he wasn't Native-American it made me think: ok, the sponsors want you to think they care about Native-Americans, their rich history and heritage but, apparently, they don't care enough to actually hire one for their add. So yeah, the fact that "Iron Eyes Cody" (aka Espera de Corti) is not Native-American definitely diminished the power of the add for me.

Hmm. You like splitting hairs, then.

It was a long time ago, sir. (Making an assumption here.)

I'll stipulate that perhaps they should have used an actual Native American. Back in those days, Hollywood (and Madison Avenue) weren't exactly beacons of inclusion or even racial accuracy. They're learning, because we've ALL learned.

It would be extra-special sauce indeed if you'd agree that, despite the DNA of the actor, littering is really, really bad. That's what we were supposed to learn.

Then we could move on. As it is, I just can't seem to let you have the last word. :\

It's a curse, but I'm taking my meds every day, so...

That sucks. Irresponsible dog owners with a complete disregard for others.

This could have happened anywhere...
but how come I'm not surprised it was FL?

That sucks. There's a fenced in dog park/beach at Picnic Island ffs, so why would the dogs be loose running around the open area of the park.

Latest posts