• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf mentioned in Yahoo Sports Article

cccp00a

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-investopediafringemoney021411

Shows up on the rotating story on the front Yahoo Sports page.

Surprising salaries of fringe sports stars

Disc golf

Don't laugh. The invention of the flying disc, which was trademarked as a Frisbee in the late 1950s by Wham-O, has spawned all kinds of activities, including football and "ultimate" competitions worldwide. Today there are more than 2,600 courses nationwide, with 11 to 14 percent annual growth. The Professional Disc Golf Association had more than 14,000 active members in 2009, as well as men and women pro players, who are sponsored by equipment companies. In 2010, worldwide tournaments offered nearly $2 million in prize money.

No such thing as bad press, but still wish it didn't start with "Don't laugh..."

Getting there, I guess.

It's annoying how the article is titled "The Surprising Salaries of Fringe Sports Stars" and they don't list any salaries for disc golf and many of the other sports.

I laughed when I first heard about it, and then I played....

I got lucky. I was throwing a catch disc with friends at Ellison's lower park, when someone suggested trying the DG course.

Yes... I played my first few rounds with a catch disc.

Then I found Sonny's!

I think it's funny this was double posted by two different people with almost identical titles... disc golfers think alike!

Yes more exposure is better than no exposure, but i am worried that the idea that DG is a fringe sport that traditionally draws laughs because it is not a serious sport is going to be one thing that people remember about the sport.

For most people that like to have opinions but do not like to spend the time to be well informed about their opinions only remember first impressions. First impression based upon that article is, "don't laugh." I was kind of hoping that yahoo article could be one of those that allows some kind of forum response like many of their blog articles. I would have liked to have said something serious about DG, but at the time i read it, i do not think readers could respond with anything.

What i have been waiting on for a few weeks now are the pictures a professional photographer took at the Saint Paul Winter Carnival. They were taking pictures of all their events and DG had a two day tournament out there. If for no other reasons I would like to have seen the pictures they took of me. Yet they are still not on their official website. Such a shame because it seemed the pictures of everything else is already up there and or in the process of being added.

Mentioned in Sports Illustrated too. I saw this while reading the latest issue (the 2/14 issue, not the swimsuit issue) in the dentist office today. See the last line on this page.

Jake Plummer is really into handball these days.....which sounds culturally a lot like disc golf.....except that they serve beer at 10am at tournaments. :D Good article.

I think this is the experience of a lot of people. You kind of blow it off at first and then you play and you kinda like it (or you get frustrated by sucking). A lot of people also tend to think "how hard can this game be..."