• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WFDF to reorganize its Disc Golf Committee after PDGA terminates its membership

Consult20

* Ace Member *
Anybody have insights into why this happened?

http://wfdf.org/news-media/news/pre...ommittee-after-pdga-terminates-its-membership

WFDF to reorganize its Disc Golf Committee after PDGA terminates its membership

01 March 2016

World Team Disc Golf Championship co-hosted by WFDF and PDGA will still be hosted in August 2016

The World Flying Disc Federation ("WFDF") announces that it is going to reorganize its Disc Golf Committee after the Professional Disc Golf Association ("PDGA") gave notice it was officially terminating the Memorandum of Understanding previously signed on 27 January 2014 and not renewing its membership in WFDF, effective 29 January 2016. WFDF is in the process of reconstituting the WFDF Disc Golf Committee, which had been a joint committee designated by the PDGA, into one comprised of representatives of WFDF country members who oversee a multi-disciplinary association in order to properly manage disc golf activity within the context of WFDF's Olympic Movement responsibilities.

Importantly, both WFDF and PDGA have reaffirmed their commitment to the World Team Disc Golf Championship which will be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on 18-21 August 2016. A dozen or more teams are expected from Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Iceland, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, New Zealand, the USA and others. The four person teams will be comprised of two open, one woman, and one masters age (over 40) athlete, in this inaugural team World Championship competition being co-hosted by WFDF and the PDGA.

"On behalf of the whole board, I am disappointed that PDGA has chosen to terminate our formal relationship. Both our organizations remain committed to supporting the international growth and development of disc golf. However, while WFDF needs to move forward with a new governance structure for disc golf within the WFDF structure without an official relationship with PDGA, we have assured them that we do not see ourselves competing in any way with PDGA and in fact will seek to maintain and strengthen the dialogue going forward."

"We are fully committed to fulfill our official responsibility to represent Disc Golf as a Flying Disc sport within the Olympic Movement and in particular towards the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), and the International World Games Association (IWGA)," Rauch continued. "Given the experience of sports like snowboarding, first introduced to the Olympics in 1998 under the International Ski Federation (FIS), or skateboarding, in the dialogue for the 2020 Games under the International Roller Skating Federation's (FIRS), we believe it is important to start getting disc golf into the discussion so that we can build the track record for future consideration."

WFDF has received PDGA's agreement that it will continue to apply the PDGA disc approval process so as to ensure consistency of sports equipment throughout the world and sport. Separately, Michael Downes, PDGA Event Manager, who has served as the WFDF Disc Golf Chairman and WFDF board member, will resign effective 29 February 2016 with his replacement to be named shortly by the board.

PDGA was a charter member of WFDF when it was founded in 1985 and had renewed its membership in January 2014 for two years before terminating its Memorandum of Understanding.

The sky is falling!

Nah, I don't really see this as a big deal. Just curious what the reasoning was.

My reaction...

So what?
The WFDF is the recognized body of the International Olympic Committee, isn't it? If so this is a big deal for the future of disc golf and the Olympics. Although - said happening is likely far enough out that the PDGA could establish itself in more than enough time prior to this sport even being considered as a trial event.

I wonder if this signals the PDGA keeping more of a focus on growing the various tours that are going on and eschewing the Olympic dream, or if maybe the PDGA felt that the WFDF wasn't focusing on disc golf enough. (WFDF just launched a huge Kickstarter to get a quality livestream of its World Championships this year.)

Isn't this probably just as simple as the WFDF sticking to ultimate and the PDGA sticking to disc golf?

The WFDF is the recognized body of the International Olympic Committee, isn't it? If so this is a big deal for the future of disc golf and the Olympics. Although - said happening is likely far enough out that the PDGA could establish itself in more than enough time prior to this sport even being considered as a trial event.

That was my thought too, that the PDGA is going to attempt its own path to Olympic sanctioning. And it doesn't really seem to need the WFDF internationally, with all the new country-specific PDGAs popping up and a world-wide tour.

However, what's the harm in staying with the WFDF? What was that association preventing the PDGA from doing themselves that they now feel the need to take on without the WFDF?

Plus, it opens up a spot with the WFDF for the ADGT! :popcorn:

Doesn't change my reaction.

Disc golf in the Olympics isn't going to happen. If that's the primary goal of the partnership, then it's probably not worth continuing.

Maybe the ADGT can step up and chase the Olympic dream after they get millions of viewers on ESPN!

I always assumed the WFDF's involvement with the IOC was centered around promoting ultimate. Which is probably the best bet for a disc sport in the Olympics anyway

The Olympic thing is about the only reason to stay tied to WFDF, really. But the Olympics really aren't (and shouldn't be) a priority for disc golf anyway, so no big deal. Disc golf (or frankly, disc sports) in the Olympics is so far away as to be a non-existent thing. I mean 40-50 years far away. Not because of anything we're doing or not doing, but because it's god damned hard to get a sport/discipline into the Olympics. The Summer games are literally maxed out unless they re-write their charters and bid requirements or start dropping other sports, which rules out any chance at the next 2-3 games at least. So there's 10-12 years minimum before we could even get a sniff. And then, of course, there's actually meeting all the requirements to be even considered, which we're not close to yet.

The Olympic dream needs to die. Those energies could be so much more useful if they were directed toward something more realistic and immediate.

Such as? (Drug testing comes to mind, but what else?)

The big thing is still not nearly enough international participation. I believe there have to be something on the order of 20 different national governing bodies to even get consideration.

Such as? (Drug testing comes to mind, but what else?)

Well, step one is having the IOC recognize an international governing body for the sport. Disc golf had that while being a member of WFDF. Part of that recognition is complying with international anti-doping and drug policies. Long way off if that's going to happen with the PDGA.

The sport must be widely played in at least 75 countries and on four continents. While we might be able to argue that people play it in that many countries, I don't think most of them would constitute "widely played".

Well, step one is having the IOC recognize an international governing body for the sport. Disc golf had that while being a member of WFDF. Part of that recognition is complying with international anti-doping and drug policies. Long way off if that's going to happen with the PDGA.

The sport must be widely played in at least 75 countries and on four continents. While we might be able to argue that people play it in that many countries, I don't think most of them would constitute "widely played".

Good info, thanks. And from an olympic sports angle, Ultimate and Disc Golf would be competing for entry, so it seems at odds to be partnered with your competition.

Good info, thanks. And from an olympic sports angle, Ultimate and Disc Golf would be competing for entry, so it seems at odds to be partnered with your competition.

In a way yes, but once a discipline is in (like aquatics is a discipline, but swimming and diving are different sports within it) other sports within the discipline, in this case "disc sports", can get their foot in the door more easily. It's likely disc golf's best chance was to ride on Ultimate's coattails, but even then it was a long shot to happen any time soon.

Ultimate stands a better chance of getting in sooner if only for the fact that they can share facilities with sports that are already included (soccer or field hockey, for starters). Disc golf, obviously, would require its own unique venue...though maybe it could share with ball golf now that that is back in the Games. Golf tournament one week, disc golf the next (or vice versa).

Nice little pipedream, but that's all it will likely ever be.

I'm more interested in the upcoming team World Championship deal.

Such as who will be on the teams, courses played, payout, etc.

In a way yes, but once a discipline is in (like aquatics is a discipline, but swimming and diving are different sports within it) other sports within the discipline, in this case "disc sports", can get their foot in the door more easily. It's likely disc golf's best chance was to ride on Ultimate's coattails, but even then it was a long shot to happen any time soon.

Ultimate stands a better chance of getting in sooner if only for the fact that they can share facilities with sports that are already included (soccer or field hockey, for starters). Disc golf, obviously, would require its own unique venue...though maybe it could share with ball golf now that that is back in the Games. Golf tournament one week, disc golf the next (or vice versa).

Nice little pipedream, but that's all it will likely ever be.

Now there's the partnership, the PGA & the PDGA.

I hope we don't get screwed like snowboarders did when the IOC ruled the FIS as the governing body of snowboarding.

In the last 5 years I lived in England, South Korea, and currently Japan, it barely even exist in these countries. I can count both the number of decent perminant courses to play and Olympic caliber players in them all of the together with just one hand.

Latest posts