• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

WFDF to reorganize its Disc Golf Committee after PDGA terminates its membership

I always assumed the WFDF's involvement with the IOC was centered around promoting ultimate. Which is probably the best bet for a disc sport in the Olympics anyway

I've been playing DG for 20 years now, but I've never even played Ultimate.

I would probably watch an Olympic Ultimate match before I would watch an Olympic DG Tournament.

Disc golf in the Olympics isn't going to happen. If that's the primary goal of the partnership, then it's probably not worth continuing.
I always assumed the WFDF's involvement with the IOC was centered around promoting ultimate. Which is probably the best bet for a disc sport in the Olympics anyway

The Olympic thing is about the only reason to stay tied to WFDF, really. But the Olympics really aren't (and shouldn't be) a priority for disc golf anyway, so no big deal. Disc golf (or frankly, disc sports) in the Olympics is so far away as to be a non-existent thing. I mean 40-50 years far away. Not because of anything we're doing or not doing, but because it's god damned hard to get a sport/discipline into the Olympics. The Summer games are literally maxed out unless they re-write their charters and bid requirements or start dropping other sports, which rules out any chance at the next 2-3 games at least. So there's 10-12 years minimum before we could even get a sniff. And then, of course, there's actually meeting all the requirements to be even considered, which we're not close to yet.

The Olympic dream needs to die. Those energies could be so much more useful if they were directed toward something more realistic and immediate.

Sums up my take pretty well. Look at the pathetic reaction here, by a handful, to a tour focused, on an attempt at increased exposure.....ADGT. Christ, if the Olympics even reached the feasibility stage, these folk would likely have a stroke.

I've been playing DG for 20 years now, but I've never even played Ultimate.

I would probably watch an Olympic Ultimate match before I would watch an Olympic DG Tournament.

Eh both are boring as hell. Its like watching a game of catch or fetch lol.

Eh both are boring as hell. Its like watching a game of catch or fetch lol.
Some might say the same for many of our so called established sports. Many concluded that the most watched sporting event this country presents to the world was kind of a snore fest this year, even when the game was relatively close. Even this dude said so.

30FE41D200000578-0-image-m-2_1454932398992.jpg

The thing is, whatever is compelling to watch or "boring" is likely in the eye of the beholder, and hinges a lot on whether the spectator to be had a degree of experience growing up either watching it or actually playing it. Americans who never grew up with soccer are likely to be the ones most dismissive of it. Europeans who never grew up with our kind of "football" are likely to find it just as dull.

So if a guy thinks watching the Memorial on Smashboxx over these few days (they have gotten over 27K views) thinks that's his cup of tea, well, who am I to tell him he's wrong?

As for the Olympics, well, screw 'em. Its largely a nationalistic pissing contest anyways, and the last Olympic games were held in a country that just days after the closing ceremonies forcibly took over a piece of another country. Shows you where the IOC's priorities are.

If the Olympics didn't have so many swimming and track events, maybe they could include some other things. But yeah, DG won't be in there anytime soon, if ever, so what. They don't want us, and we don't need them. Let it go already!

Latest posts