• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Monthly: Deer Lakes Park (PFDO)

If they weren't high as a kite on whatever they're usually smoking.

Kenny and Barry are two of the best disc golf analysts out there. I haven't heard Dave doing commentary, but I bet he's also way better than the DGM guys.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the fact that Carl and crew do volunteer and put the show together and have some decent camera work. Their commentary is pass-able for novice disc golfers and/or non-players, but that's about it.

Isnt half of their footage taken from other sources, like the vibram open coverage that they use ? I remember some shows that realy looked selfmade, and they were usualy from some scratch tournaments with some 950 rated players and whobbly camera.

And yes, their commenting is realy terrible. As are their titles and specialy this terribad guitar music. That endles 4 seconds looop during the PDGA logo makes me wanna shred someones skin off.

I love the show. I love that they volunteer their time to showcase disc golf and I think that footage is done very well. Especially since it's all taken by one guy with a camera. He does a very nice job of editing. I could care less about the commentating since I really enjoy the video.

You all need to keep in mind that DGM usually covers regional tournaments in the NJ, Eastern PA, Maryland, Delaware area, where they know most of the players and are familiar will the courses. The PFDO was at a course they have never played, and the lead card was a bunch of guys they don't know. Any of you are welcome to trek out to a bunch of tournaments, take 10 hours of footage, edit it into something presentable and then make your own commentary.

Keep up the good work DGM.

I love the show. I love that they volunteer their time to showcase disc golf and I think that footage is done very well. Especially since it's all taken by one guy with a camera. He does a very nice job of editing. I could care less about the commentating since I really enjoy the video.

You all need to keep in mind that DGM usually covers regional tournaments in the NJ, Eastern PA, Maryland, Delaware area, where they know most of the players and are familiar will the courses. The PFDO was at a course they have never played, and the lead card was a bunch of guys they don't know. Any of you are welcome to trek out to a bunch of tournaments, take 10 hours of footage, edit it into something presentable and then make your own commentary.

Keep up the good work DGM.

:) You Pittsburgh guys are some of my favorite posters and I agree. Would love to try, and do that though. My commentary would be even worse so i'd just like to just Video tape it. :thmbup:

I think my commentary would consist of a lot of "Holy Crap! Did you see that?", or "Well Ricky just dueced a hole that I usually take 7 on." or maybe just a lot of silence as I just love watching a disc in flight.

I think my commentary would consist of a lot of "Holy Crap! Did you see that?", or "Well Ricky just dueced a hole that I usually take 7 on." or maybe just a lot of silence as I just love watching a disc in flight.

hahaha I was thinking the same thing. Actually I said the same thing. I walked up to number 7 just as the lead card was about to go. I throw mine just to the top of the hill, maybe a little further. I can't remember who threw first but his shot made me cuss violently. I could not believe they were able to put their tee shot by the basket. uggggg, jealousy is a virtue.

excellent video!

very impressed with anthons rollers

kinda surprised that wysocki went with a safe skip shot on hole #17 instead of going for the ace like everyone else. i think he switched to safe mode there since he was only one stroke off the lead.

kinda surprised that wysocki went with a safe skip shot on hole #17 instead of going for the ace like everyone else. i think he switched to safe mode there since he was only one stroke off the lead.

I don't think it was a "safe" shot. He threw the same shot in the first round and deuced it with ease. If you look at 17 in person that left to right swing is the best, most open way to approach that pin. I played with him in the first round he threw the same shots off the tee that he did in that video.

I don't think safe is a commonly used word in his Vocab. He is very fun to watch because he bombs both FH and BH and has a super aggressive playing style.

i hear ya, but what i meant was that you have two choices

try for an ace and risk getting par or higher... or ... skip it in for the safe bird

i could totally be wrong. it wouldn't surprise me if he, of all people, landed a skip ace. he is an unbelievable disc golfer.

I spotted for Anton & Schusterick, along with Uliberi(sp?) during their practice round @ Moraine. These guys can throw. I heard a few of the pros didn't like Deer Lakes or Moraine because it had too many trees or something like that. You know courses SHOULD be hard for pros also. Who wants to see 2's on every hole?? (besides on my scorecard) But I like that these courses challenged some of the pros (except for Feldberg"s 52!?!?). Can't all be open par 3s.

The only reason the commentary was below par is because neither commentator is familiar with Deer Lakes at all. When they know the courses they seem to have alot more to say.
Thinking about past shows, this is very true.

This. ^

I'd make an educated bet that neither commentator has ever played the course. But in their defense, I don't think anybody could do a stellar job with commentary just from a limited amount of video footage of a course they've never personally seen.

For an all-volunteer production, I think they do a great job. It's certainly better than no coverage at all.