• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

I am imagining the DGPT turning into something like the XFL. It's a glorious image.

The last step in Steves plan, now that he has Paul on his side, is to use Williams to crash Pauls adidas deal so he can get him wearing Vibrams. McFiveFingers anyone?

Are-college-students-more-brilliant-The-grade-inflation-debate.jpg

Apparently Steve Dodge has put all his eggs in the basket that his Pro Tour holds as much power in the sport as the PDGA does. He wanted to be included and have say in how the PDGA does things without even 1 season of running a tour under his belt.

I'm not necessarily a fan of how the PDGA does things..don't get me wrong there. At the same time, I don't think that the PDGA was really out of line handling their business, or that Dodge should be taken so very seriously with zero actual clout in terms of running a tour. All of the events he has used as DGPT stops were already very successful PDGA sanctioned (and a few non-sanctioned - see the Utah Open next year) events prior to the DGPT label being slapped on them.

Honestly, the amateur players hold all of the cards. There are so few active professionals, and even smaller percentage are touring professionals at that...the PDGA is almost completely funded by Am players. Star power is minimal at best in this sport, most registered am players probably couldn't name 20 touring pros if you helped them with 10 names. If someone were to get the attention of the amateur contingent, if any of them even care, then a real difference could be made. Otherwise we're just going to continue to hear about the self-importance of the DGPT, and how the pro players should be treated more fairly, when there are only a few of them that can make a living on tour in the first place.

Nope. Cash grab? Given his past as head of Vibram and running premier events, he knows exactly where the cash is(or isn't). He is building the DGPT brand. Publicly saying something that would of eventually come out in the next year or two anyways. This was just a platform to escalate the tours and evolution of professional disc golf.

Um, head of vibram disc golf, not vibram. So yeah, he is about as small potatoes as it gets.

Premier events? How many people paid to watch those premier events?

Dodge is a clownshow, a nobody. This DGPT is the tournament equivalent of Prodigy discs. Cash grab all the way. And it will die the slow death that Prodigy is currently suffering.

I posted in the DGPT thread, reposting here for targeted discussion

Apparently Steve Dodge has put all his eggs in the basket that his Pro Tour holds as much power in the sport as the PDGA does. He wanted to be included and have say in how the PDGA does things without even 1 season of running a tour under his belt.

I'm not necessarily a fan of how the PDGA does things..don't get me wrong there. At the same time, I don't think that the PDGA was really out of line handling their business, or that Dodge should be taken so very seriously with zero actual clout in terms of running a tour. All of the events he has used as DGPT stops were already very successful PDGA sanctioned (and a few non-sanctioned - see the Utah Open next year) events prior to the DGPT label being slapped on them.

Honestly, the amateur players hold all of the cards. There are so few active professionals, and even smaller percentage are touring professionals at that...the PDGA is almost completely funded by Am players. Star power is minimal at best in this sport, most registered am players probably couldn't name 20 touring pros if you helped them with 10 names. If someone were to get the attention of the amateur contingent, if any of them even care, then a real difference could be made. Otherwise we're just going to continue to hear about the self-importance of the DGPT, and how the pro players should be treated more fairly, when there are only a few of them that can make a living on tour in the first place.

The way the Pro Tour is setup, the Championship would be kind of pointless without Paul... $10,000 to the winner, $2,000 to 2nd-4th places. Soooo... That just would've been watching Ricky calmly take a ten thousand dollar check and Cale, Doss, and Geisinger each taking two. With Paul and Bradley included (as much as I dislike Brad) depending on how GMC goes, there will be some good competition in the PT Championship.

Um, head of vibram disc golf, not vibram. So yeah, he is about as small potatoes as it gets.

Dodge is a clownshow, a nobody. This DGPT is the tournament equivalent of Prodigy discs. Cash grab all the way. And it will die the slow death that Prodigy is currently suffering.

You know damn well I meant Vibram disc golf. Calling someone a clownshow and throwing prodigy under the bus shows you have a bias and/or a really negative outlook in general. Cheer up bro. It'll be alright. Its just disc golf!

Small time players making small time moves. Steve Dodge is as small time as it gets and if he thinks he can make a cash grab off of the same old tired "play for each other's stack" format he is sorely mistaken. I bet he thinks this is his time to crawl out of financial obscurity but he will be ground into the dust of disc golf economics soon enough.

Everyone in disc golf should recognize this as a cash grab and nothing more.

Comes of as being a whiner lol.

6xfl.jpg

If you've never been to The Vibram Open... especially as a professional disc golfer... you can't talk about Steve running a professional event. He created a tournament (not a Major), that players skip celebrating New Years to sign up for. He may have a lot of crazy ideas, but he pulls them off well, and he can command a crew to run a top notch event/tour.

You know damn well I meant Vibram disc golf. Calling someone a clownshow and throwing prodigy under the bus shows you have a bias and/or a really negative outlook in general. Cheer up bro. It'll be alright. Its just disc golf!

Throwing Prodigy under the bus is negative bias while throwing sailient under the bus is the national sport of dgcr? Not that salient doesn't fit great under that bus,..

And no I don't know what you meant. If I am trying to pump myself up and say I am the head of Microsoft leaving off the janitorial department, do I have a right to be pissed when you call me out?

Latest posts