• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

2016_08_21_10_11_45.jpg

…get out there and Frolf bräu!

:thmbup:

Professional disc golfer? I think you mean Professional frisbee thrower.

So I would assume the PDGA would be even more vigilant about scheduling their events with no regard to the DGPT. Is the DGPT going to be able to sustain its payouts with AM money? It will probably be added cash I guess.

How will they determine Am divisions without the PDGA....use all the PDGA information?

Throwing Prodigy under the bus is negative bias while throwing sailient under the bus is the national sport of dgcr? Not that salient doesn't fit great under that bus,..

And no I don't know what you meant. If I am trying to pump myself up and say I am the head of Microsoft leaving off the janitorial department, do I have a right to be pissed when you call me out?

If this was a Janitorial forum, I would know exactly what you meant. I can deduce where you take your ****s. This is a disc golf forum. Apparently you **** here too... :D

Salient actually deserved what they started. Prodigy is good people that learned a hard lesson in coming out so strong.

Last edited:
How will they determine Am divisions without the PDGA....use all the PDGA information?

The gamble is that the PDGA agrees to just be a governing/sanctioning body. Keeps focusing on membership drives. But if thats the case why would Steve want such a huge say in the discipline process? Maybe it should be left up to the PDGA.

I like what Dodge is doing here and support him. Him along with Jussi are the two most influential (non-playing) dudes in disc golf right now.

Read his post again. Then, read it again. He's not trying to take down or belittle the PDGA. He's simply stating that for handling top tier events from scheduling, player management, and discipline standpoint the PDGA could be doing better. He lays out specific ways it could be done better. People are gonna take this and run all over with it as we start to see here because it is a bold statement.

But, it is logical.

And, he's right.

There is no Am division... it's a PRO TOUR.

Ok so how does the DGPT determine who is a PRO!!!! without the PDGA ratings guide. Without hte PDGA's groundwork they are nothing. What's to keep 244 850 rated players from signing up for the Pro tour events? The PDGA ratings and rankings.

If the pro tour goes off that, how do upcoming players that come out of no where like Eagle M. make it on to the pro tour? Out of no where a 100th rated player makes it happen, how do they get a chance to tour? How does the pro tour select who is a worthy pro? Whom ever is in that clique of 50 players once you are in you are in for life? Yea that is just like the PGA. You get your card to play in the PGA tour by earning it at USGA event, right. The Pro tour 1. hasnt been around long enough to have the clout they espose to have. 2. Needs the PDGA to provide player information and provide a way for players to earn their pro status. (rating or performance at events) The pro tour cannot manage the thousands of events it takes for players to gain skills and experience needed to tour as a pro.

No Communication, No Co-Branding

The Vibram Open, an NT for eight straight years, was not considered for NT status because it was a Pro Tour event. The PDGA never reached out.
Discraft's Green Mountain Championship, which had been told that it was in line to be the North East's NT in 2017, was not considered. When the GMC reached out to the PDGA, they claimed that they had "lost the paperwork" that the GMC had submitted. It was later found, but alas, it was too late. The GMC was a Pro Tour event and therefore was not considered for the NT.
The Ledgestone Open, presented by Discraft. The Ledgestone and Hambrick had been told that they would alternate being the NT for their region. 2015: Ledgestone. 2016: Hambrick. 2017? Neither. The Ledgestone was a Pro Tour event so it was not considered for the NT. The PDGA never reached out.
Is this a conspiracy? No. The PDGA staff was instructed to schedule no Pro Tour events as NTs by the PDGA Executive Director. The PDGA Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Board of Directors (BoD). The BoD is either complicit in or directive of this instruction.

I don't understand this complaint at all. Co-branded tournaments are a bad idea. The PDGA is deferring to the DGPT by not slapping an NT designation on a PT event. This allows the PT director to run his events how he wishes and to not have any interference with how the PDGA wants NTs to be run. It helps the players in that if they are forced to miss one event, they don't lose points in both the PT and NT points series at the same time.

I like what Dodge is doing here and support him. Him along with Jussi are the two most influential (non-playing) dudes in disc golf right now.

Read his post again. Then, read it again. He's not trying to take down or belittle the PDGA. He's simply stating that for handling top tier events from scheduling, player management, and discipline standpoint the PDGA could be doing better. He lays out specific ways it could be done better. People are gonna take this and run all over with it as we start to see here because it is a bold statement.

But, it is logical.

And, he's right.

Maybe, but he is also indicating that he has the power to be an equal with the PDGA. A tour that was developed this year, is asking to be involved in PDGA decisions. That is not right. It would be just like the ADGT requesting a seat at the table. Often new things take off...but then fizzle. This pro tour should prove its worth over a series of years. You dont just start something up and then 7 months later act like you are on equal footing with the main governing body, demanding and expecting that you will have any say in direction or governing of the membership.

I kind of figured by the nomenclature it was a PRO tour. Thanks. I was just curious on how they will survive without AM money.

Easy... raise $$ locally. I raised $3000 for a C-tier in Jefferson City, MO 2 years ago. $1000 added cash and all player packs paid for. ZERO am $$ used to fund pros. The Disc Golf Monkey Tour in that area has done it this way for nearly 10 years... again NO AM $$ EVER USED TO PAY PROS. Check last week's stop in Nixa, MO... Rec winner scored $161 voucher because all the AM $$ stayed in the am pool. The added cash came from sponsors.

I know other TD's do it, but that's because that's easier than fund raising from businesses. I call it lazy if you ask me. So it can be done if you work hard to do it.

Ok so how does the DGPT determine who is a PRO!!!! without the PDGA ratings guide. Without hte PDGA's groundwork they are nothing. What's to keep 244 850 rated players from signing up for the Pro tour events? The PDGA ratings and rankings.

If the pro tour goes off that, how do upcoming players that come out of no where like Eagle M. make it on to the pro tour? Out of no where a 100th rated player makes it happen, how do they get a chance to tour? How does the pro tour select who is a worthy pro? Whom ever is in that clique of 50 players once you are in you are in for life? Yea that is just like the PGA. You get your card to play in the PGA tour by earning it at USGA event, right. The Pro tour 1. hasnt been around long enough to have the clout they espose to have. 2. Needs the PDGA to provide player information and provide a way for players to earn their pro status. (rating or performance at events) The pro tour cannot manage the thousands of events it takes for players to gain skills and experience needed to tour as a pro.

Are you not paying attention? Re-read Steve's post. The PDGA still would do everything it does very well. I'm a PDGA fan honestly, but they suck when it comes to handling of the professional player. The DGPT and DGWT fill that slot nicely. He's trying to work with them.

The final straw. Bradley Williams' 18 month suspension.

In no way does the DGPT condone the actions of Bradley Williams.

I (Steve Dodge) emailed the Disciplinary Committee the day after the Ledgestone, where Bradley's infraction occurred: "I want to be available to you all … and I want to work closely together and present a unified front when / if disciplinary actions are taken." I was never contacted. The PDGA removed a player from the Pro Tour without any inclusion of the DGPT in the process.

I did reach out to the Disciplinary Committee after the fact and it was explained to me that they were talking to me ONLY because I happened to be the TD of an upcoming event that the suspension would affect. As the Director of the Pro Tour, I would not have gotten my call answered. Once again pointing out, the PDGA does not consider the Pro Tour a worthy partner.

So we have one player (Bradley Williams) suspended and two players (Paul McBeth and Cam Todd) who are boycotting PDGA events due to the PDGA disciplinary process. The players have every right to have representation in the Disciplinary process and understand what types of actions warrant what types of punishment.

Being a PDGA event is hurting the DGPT Tour Championship.

I am the director of a points series/championship/tour in the upstate region of South Carolina. Should I have a seat at the table of the disciplinary committee if a player from my region is facing PDGA suspension? If one of the top players in my region gets suspended from PDGA events, it would ruin his chances at winning my points series!

I am the director of a points series/championship/tour in the upstate region of South Carolina. Should I have a seat at the table of the disciplinary committee if a player from my region is facing PDGA suspension? If one of the top players in my region gets suspended from PDGA events, it would ruin his chances at winning my points series!

Yes, and the TD of what ever local PDGA sanctioned league he participates in. All you have to do is tell everyone how important you are. Then the PDGA will have to listen to your imput.

I don't think they're severing all ties with the PDGA, ADGT-style.

Like many unsanctioned events, they'll probably use PDGA rules (with amendments), and refer to PDGA ratings or rankings, among other things. Steve's post isn't so much hostile to the PDGA, as disgruntled with the scheduling and discipline and his tour's status in the hierarchy of PDGA events.

Maybe, but he is also indicating that he has the power to be an equal with the PDGA. A tour that was developed this year, is asking to be involved in PDGA decisions. That is not right. It would be just like the ADGT requesting a seat at the table. Often new things take off...but then fizzle. This pro tour should prove its worth over a series of years. You dont just start something up and then 7 months later act like you are on equal footing with the main governing body, demanding and expecting that you will have any say in direction or governing of the membership.

The PDGA choosing not to work at all to coordinate dates with DGPT/WDGT is more than an oversight, it's an abject failure. As evidenced by the "quality" of some of the NTs (the last one was on an outdated course with awful baskets), the PDGA needs help with leading these big pro events.

why should the pdga even care if these ADGT type events want to try and make it?

Also lol at people on bashing scheduling. Ever try and put togethet a date for even just a handful of people? Cant make everyone happy and **** like weather etc makes it even harder.

Wow...

DGPT is good for pros, especially touring pros. PDGA is good for every other disc golfer. So...I guess I'm more in favor of the PDGA. The Pro Tour does nothing for me.

Easy... raise $$ locally. I raised $3000 for a C-tier in Jefferson City, MO 2 years ago. $1000 added cash and all player packs paid for. ZERO am $$ used to fund pros. The Disc Golf Monkey Tour in that area has done it this way for nearly 10 years... again NO AM $$ EVER USED TO PAY PROS. Check last week's stop in Nixa, MO... Rec winner scored $161 voucher because all the AM $$ stayed in the am pool. The added cash came from sponsors.

I know other TD's do it, but that's because that's easier than fund raising from businesses. I call it lazy if you ask me. So it can be done if you work hard to do it.

I did mention added cash in a previous post. There are TDs in my area that have zero AM money going to pros. It can happen. I understand that. Logistically speaking, those 8-10 DGPT tournaments all have to bust their respective humps to get added cash and sponsorships. Good luck. I don't want to see DGPT fail but touring pro disc golfers seem to complain alot. So that schtick will wear thin on TDs who are busting their arses who in turn have to listen to players throw hissy fits about anything and everything that they feel is wrong, legitimate or not. All because people want to "grow the sport".

Latest posts