• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Shoes

Bikinimower

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I normally buy a seperate pair of shoes just for Disc Golf. Not that I think it helps my game I just don't like to wear my day to day shoes to stomp through mud and I'm not shy about diving into a lake for lost discs.

But I have noticed my Disc Golf shoes don't last long. The heal of my left foot always tears itself away from the plastic tread on the bottom of my shoe. Does that happen to anyone else? Is it just a product of a normal throwing motion or am I doing something wrong?

I like to tell people I throw with such force that it tears my shoes apart but it might just be because I'm fat

How do you throw? RHBH, LHFH? That would give us an idea of how the particular wear is being done.

It could be your form, or it could be the quality of the shoes you are wearing, or it could be some of both. What brand of shoes do you use for disc golf?

If you disc a lot your average shoe will not hold up for long. A high quality pair of outdoor shoes is an extremely good investment

I am a Merrill guy. I think many threads here on the topic of good shoes. I am sure everyone has their individual favorites for their own reasons. I have had Keens that I like a lot as well.

If your shoes are not water proof, make sure to spray them down with some Scotch Guard a few times to waterproof them. This will extend the life dramatically.

I've been using the shoes I got from DD (GBO Player's Pack) recently and I have to say they are working out well!

I have a similar problem with wearing out my disc golf shoes. The inside of the front portion of my right foot drags during the follow through of my RHFH shot. Eventually a hole wears through and the inside of my big toe will pop out of the shoe. Back when I was too cheap to buy new shoes, I wound up wearing holes in a lot of my socks in that specific area >.< Life strategy fail!

Now-a-days, I look for shoes and boots that have sturdy/multi-layer construction around the toe cap. I tend to go through a pair of shoes every season playing mild park rounds and a pair of hiking boots every season playing mountain courses.

Playing on concrete tee pads definitely increases the burnout rate; natural/rubber/turf is much nicer on the ol' shoes.

I got a $20 pair of Adidas that have lasted 2 years. Got a $15 pair of Starters that look like they'll hold up well. Had several pairs of "nice" shoes that didn't last a month. From the same wear as you, mostly. Find something with a 1-piece sole; that's usually what fails for me; parts of the sole tearing away from each other.

I am a Merrill guy

Word. Merrill moabs are the last disc shoe I'll ever use as long as they keep making them. They are a little heavier, and pricey too, but worth it. My first pair lasted me 3 years of super heavy use when no other shoe I've tried lasted more then 1

As a LHBH thrower, I destroy the instep area around foot pad and big toe of the right foot. That part of the shoe is apparently dragging the ground after I push off..
Unfortunately, I wear 15B's, (6'6") so I have not found a pair of DG shoes that come in my size.

New Balance shoes work out the best/longest, and I can find a good variety in my size. They all come apart eventually, but New Balance is definitely held up the best for me. Big New Balance fan here.

Find something with a 1-piece sole; that's usually what fails for me; parts of the sole tearing away from each other.

QFT My 1piece vibram soles are slowly wearing down after about 14 months of playing, but at least they are still attached to the shoe!

My shoes never hold up for as long as i would like. Usually one season and they are done. I have always liked Keens, but the bottoms of the shoes do seem to go fast. Now I just got Marshals once a year to get whatever hiking shoe is on sale (There is usually at least one pair from one major company).

As I said earlier, I love Keens. But let me add to that...

In the summer months, Keen makes GREAT lightweight waterproof shoes that will still breath enough to keep your feet dryer from sweat, but, still protect from rain and puddles. Good grip on most surfaces, good/tight fit, and tough as nails. Those are my reasons for loving Keens in the summer. Light, durable, and waterproof.

However, for playing in Michigan, it's also very important to have a good heavy boot for early spring, fall, and winter. I've had a pair of Timberland Thorton Mid-Hikers for about 5 years now. They're substantially heavier than I'd like, but, they are warm, waterproof, give good ankle support on slippery surfaces (wet grass, snow, slush) and have great traction. I play my usual 4-6 rounds per week until the first substantial snow. Then, I play about 1-2 rounds per week in the winter - will and weather permitting. These boots have held up through years of abuse in the nastier seasons. The top lace grommets are starting to wear, one of the base eyelets pulled out, and I've replaced the laces a dozen times, so it's about time to replace them. However, even with double-layered wool socks and lacing these boots as tight as I can bear them, they've held up exceptionally well.

But, for this time of year, I'll stick with my Keen Kovens.

This all fall, winter, and spring, but they are a little heavy for summer. Vans and the now-discontinued HiTec Figaros are both great lightweight summer options.

Thanks for the heads up on the Hi Tech Figaro's, david. Found ONE place that had some left in my size for a GREAT price with free shipping. :clap:

I took some great advice on here and got Shoe Goo for my toe drag. Several thin layers will build up a good barrier that will last a few rounds. It will wear away, but you can keep reapplying.

Another great piece of advice is to buy shoes with a warranty. My Eccos are guaranteed for life.