• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Strength, Fitness, and Training routines

Blake, What do you think of the idea of d.g'ers using heavy compund lifts like deads,squats,rows,presses ect, in low rep range 3-6(actually working set reps) to develop their fast-twitch fibers? But also combining it w/ cable,iso, and stertcing work in the higher rep range 12-20 to work on slow- fibers?

The actully power from a throw/drive comes from the fast-twitch fibers, but to have the endurance to do this over period of a few rounds(depending on the tourney- 1 or 2 day ect) you need slow twitch fibers.
What do You think of designing a program that can compliment all of these elements for a disc golfer? powerful-long drives and endurance to last the duration.

From the sound of it, the way you say u bulk easily, you must be lot like me in being predominitley fast-twitch? fast spinter, strong lifts, add muscles easily?

i haven't found a method that works for me for really utilizing slow twitch.

i've never actually trained in 3-6 rep sets, generally i've always shot for 7-10 and was told during my training days that unless you could do 7, it didn't matter.

i do think complimentary exercises do help completely.

slow twitch fibers not only affect endurance, but more importantly injury prevention, overall health/stability and retaining flexibility.

my body is dominated by fast twitch fibers. if working from an out of shape (or low mass) base-line, i can easily add 20-40 lbs of muscle in 2-3 months without any dietary modifications. at the same time i have been injury prone my entire life, often able to burst and push my body beyond the limitations of ligament/tendon strength. back when i was working free weights, when i was able to bench 300lbs+ 10 lbs i still couldn't do 105 lbs more than 12 times.

i also know most people aren't like this, so a mix is useful.

however, when it comes to disc golfers, i see a VERY low percentage of disc golfers that do any sort of strength training associated with the activity compared to other sports. doing anything, regardless of its association with fast or slow twitch muscle fibers will benefit most players.

i also do a lot of stretching exercises many times a day, given how much you stretch, the more you stretch the less you have to do it so at least stretch once a day every single day.

here is a few examples of some really really good stretches:

random basic stretches
http://www.itallershoes.com/grow-taller-by-streching

lower back - this has helped my back you can never believe
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/morning-stretch.html
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/spinal-twist-stretch.html

Gluteal
http://www.lower-back-pain-answers.com/gluteal-stretches.html

i will update more when i have more time but these are really good stretches to do.

Heres an example of effective all around workout.

Week 1

monday: upperbody 4-6 moves, 8-10 reps, 2 sets
tuesday: legs (and abs) 4-6 (10) moves, 8-10 reps, 2 sets
wensday: easy jogging or something like that, dayoff (abs)
thursday: same as monday
friday: same as tuesday
....and on

week 2: 3 sets

week 3: 4 sets, leave the last rep undone. if u need to lower weights DO IT!

week 4: 5 sets, MAKE SURE U CAN DO 5!!!, If beginner don't do this!

More sets u do harder it gets so u can also do sets: 2233 or 2334

After this rotation do 6-8 reps and after that 4-6. U CAN START FROM 12-14 IF THATS NEEDED AND STOP AT 6-8 OR EVEN 8-10.

Everybody has a different body and this is just an example of very effective training routine. Your body hasn't got the time to get use to this, so it has to get stronger. I'm doing this and I can tell u it works. Wide moves are the BEST and u can (should) change moves time to time!

Theres still alot of information left off but the basics are:

1 Change reps 1 to 20
2 Change sets 1 to 5
3 Change moves

If u do just the same thing over and over u will get used to that soon and lose effectinevess

I did this one for a while:

http://www.mensfitness.com/workout/98

The plank with lateral raise, pushup with row and single leg RDL seem like pretty good DG exercises. It seems to hit your shoulders pretty hard and while I used to have aching issues with my throwing arm rotator cuff, I haven't experienced them at all since I started it.

Now I'm just doing a full body workout using compound lifts with my Powerblocks and Swiss ball three times a week and cardio two times a week. I always warm up before and stretch afterwards.

For the past four winters now I've tried to spend serious time working out for the entirety of the winter. This is the fourth winter, that is. The first winter was very undisciplined - just some bench, squat, military with auxiliary exercises mostly involving biceps, triceps, and legs. The second year my friend Kevin, a cage fighter/bjj guy as well as a physical training major got me into something more specific for core explosion. Last year was pretty much on my own but I tried to continue the core explosion workouts.

So far this year I'm trying something different - working with a lot more body weight exercises for the first 3 weeks before I go into the weight training with my bars and dumb bells. Here's what I'm doing for at least three weeks:

(everything done on 1:00-1:15 rest)
M/R
5 sets of 7 push ups
5 sets of 7 elevated push ups
5 sets of 7 handstand push ups
5 sets of 7 dips
3 sets of 20 seated leg tucks

T/F
5 sets of 5 chin ups (overhand grip)
5 sets of 5 wide grip chin ups (overhand grip)
5 sets of 5 chin ups (underhand grip)
3 sets of 25 crunches
2 sets of 20 bent knee raises

Week 2 I want to increase the push up sets to 10, pull up sets to 6-7. Week 3 push ups to 15, pull ups to 8-9. Right now the push ups aren't really a struggle until about the second set of hand stand push ups. The pull ups are a struggle to finish every set, clearly I don't have enough functional lat strength right now and thats depressing. I'm looking to really develop my body and prepare it to go beyond my previous limits, instead of just building up to the same levels I've achieved the past few years.

I'm hoping that this will really prep me to work my way into developing true explosion when spring comes around. I'd love to push myself beyond the 520s which has been my all out max-d barrier for shallow distance lines, and 475 which is my all out barrier for golf lines.

This is the routine I use for me and my girlfriend when we go to the gym. It was designed around my specific needs, but is a good general workout that I think is worth trying. Not geared specifically towards anything, but will help condition the entire body for whatever activities you do, like DG.

The emphasis is on the upper body because I'm a skateboarder and like to keep my legs fresh for that. On days when I know I'll be skating a lot I skip the leg exercises except for leg curl, since that muscle isn't really used for skating. You'll notice repeated back, chest and ab exercises. Those are my strongest muscle groups and I find I have to hit them really hard to make them grow.

I am not a believer in multiple sets or high reps. I've lifted for about 6 years now and I've experimented with many styles, and I just didn't find either to be effective for me.

The Routine

1. Leg Press
2. Calf Raise
3. Leg Curl
4. Leg Extension
5. Chest Press
6. Rows
7. Pec Fly
8. Pulldown
9. Curls
10. Tricep Pressdown
11. Reverse Curl
12. Lateral Raise
13. Reverse Fly
14. Ab machine
15. Shrugs
16. Weighted situps on decline bench
18. Glute Extension
19. Side Bend
20. Short walk outside

I would recommend only one set per exercise and aim for 8-10 reps. If you can do 10, then you need to increase the weight. If you can have a friend help you out with some forced reps at the end that can help too if you're looking to hit certain muscles really hard. Those last few extra reps make a big difference.

The goal of this routine is to effectively workout your entire body in a short amount of time, and stimulate muscular growth in an efficient manner.

For my body I've found that taking the heaviest weight I can manage to actually rep and working with it is key. I do not feel 50% weight warm-up sets are a good idea, or 80% sets followed by a "maxing out" set. Essentially I feel you should always be "maxing out" in the sense that you're using the most weight you can and not hurt yourself or only manage 2 or 3 reps. If you can only get 5 reps of a given weight, that's fine, stay with it and aim for 6 next time. If I do curls with 60lb dumbbells for 6 reps I find my biceps worked better than curling 50lbs for 10 reps. Takes less time too. If you train this way you shouldn't even want to do multiple sets, because you worked as hard as you possibly can at the first set so the work for that muscle group is complete already.

Always use good form. For example, never move your back when doing curls, and don't slack on the negatives. Control every movement of the machine / dumbell when you lift, NEVER, EVER let the momentum of the weight drive movement, ONLY your body. Use less weight if you have to, but this is essential to keeping yourself from getting injured and getting the most out of every lift. If you jerk with your back and heave the weight and let momentum carry it, you're cheating yourself.

If you move quickly between exercises it will benefit your cardio. Using heavy weight and using short rests will make you breathe heavy pretty quick. You won't need "cardio" days, this will be your cardio. The exercises are ordered so that you should be able to get up from one machine and move directly to the next, pausing for a few seconds to drink water and wipe off sweat as needed. Sit and rest for a minute or two if you feel short of breath, dizzy etc., otherwise try to move quick.

Really this routine is kind of overkill in certain areas, most people could probably do fine taking out a chest, back and ab exercise. Another good idea is mixing up exercises, like doing reverse wrist curls instead of reverse curls one day.

You should do this workout 2 or 3 times per week. You should always rest a minimum of 72 hours between workouts. If you do this workout more than 3 times a week you will definitely be over-training, no matter what condition you're in.

I have the best routine. Twice a week I visit my personal trainer and do whatever he says. Which is great because he knows more about the subject than I ever will.

My appointments are pre-scheduled so even when I have zero motivation or feel poorly, the only thing I need to do is point my car in the right direction at the right time and everything else is automatic.

Many times I would not have worked out if it were up to me. I would have blown it off. But those days when I felt unmotivated I have noticed that, after I was done with my workout, I was very happy I did it.

"I lost my pink Leopard!"

0812_richard_simmons_5334993_wenn2-1.jpg

I've been working Crossfit this offseason. So far I'm really impressed. I did P90X last winter and it was good, but it's a little more about looks than function.

Crossfit is all about function and true core strengthening.

Basically, do a 15 minute warmup (jogging, jumprope, jumping jacks, yoga vinyasa's, full body basics) and hit the WOD (workout of the day).

I had a friend do a 2 1/2 week bodyweight program so I can get acclimated and workout at home without any real equipment. I'm usually done in 30 minutes, compared to the hour/hour and a half that P90X required.

The big thing I keep hearing is recovery times dimish rapidly and it will take much less time to get loose in the mornings, not to mention a very strong core.

I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

mzuleger said:
I just got my personal training cert, if anyone ever has any workout related questions im happy to help

Thanks. I'm old. Tell me how to overcome the ravages of age.

mzuleger said:

What do you think about the BS in the post above yours?

Mark Ellis said:
mzuleger said:

OK, that must have been too tall an order.

Thanks. I'm old. Did your training teach you anything about helping aging athletes?

I don't speak from personal experience but i've heard from many people your age that it gets increasingly difficult to maintain your current stamina, flexibility and health. The suggest course of action has been to work out harder. Sorry.

Discwrangler said:
mzuleger said:

I don't think it's BS, Crossfit isn't bad. The problem I had with crossfit is that your routine is based on the WOD that someone else chooses... if it's not one you're into it's easy to take the day off or lose motivation. Also, some of the WOD don't take very long so I was inclined to do extra afterward... which I guess is ok.

Mark Ellis said:
Mark Ellis said:
mzuleger said:

OK, that must have been too tall an order.

Thanks. I'm old. Did your training teach you anything about helping aging athletes?

What specifically are you looking to improve? You can probably benefit in the same ways that younger atheletes would... the results will just be less dramatic as you age.

mzuleger said:
Discwrangler said:
mzuleger said:

I don't think it's BS, Crossfit isn't bad. The problem I had with crossfit is that your routine is based on the WOD that someone else chooses... if it's not one you're into it's easy to take the day off or lose motivation. Also, some of the WOD don't take very long so I was inclined to do extra afterward... which I guess is ok.

I hear you on the WOD. For now, the next month anyway, I'm ok with doing whatever is prescribed, but I think once Mid Feb rolls around I'm going to want tailor the WOD specifically for my goals. The one thing I'm noticing is the lack of lateral movement exercises. I have been incorporating them into the warmup. I like the fact some are short, but still intense. However, it feels a little like cheating. I think it's just a matter of upping the warmup.

Once the season kicks off my days and weeks aren't going to allow for Crossfit. Which is ok, I want to be better at disc golf, not Crossfit.

The BIG thing about crossfit is I see ALOT of bad form. Pumping out 75 of anything and you're going to have some bad form. I have zero time to be injured, so I'm being pretty cautious. Right now I'm doing everything at home, but worry about going to a box and having to keep up with the group. We will see, I'm going to give DM Crossfit $100 for 12 sessions and go from there.

BTW, Russian Kettlebell throws HAVE to be GREAT for putting.