• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

I just watched the new Simon vs Eagle video and I noticed that they are aiming way lower on than I do on a lot of shots. The only time I am as low as they are is when I need to throw a short approach shot. Most of the time I am aiming higher than the basket, especially when I don't want to overshoot it.

I am wondering how do the good players aim, high or low?

Whatever works for you is the correct answer.

But...
If you aim lower, you lessen the effect of the wind and, therefore, can control your lines easier. Plus, the discs stall out sooner on the higher lines (sometimes you want that, of course).

Simon and Eagle are both much, much improved over their first video. You could almost learn something from watching them this time

lvl 46 and I've only pulled 2 Ballistas. Kind of annoying. At least they're a reasonable pairing for the sake of shot diversity: Light/Big Skip and Wind Break/Extra Fade. Anybody with worse Ballista luck?

I went back to using airplane mode within reason. (I had a couple levels earlier where I didn't get any new options) I got a wind/skip Ballista at 21, and I attached a screen shot of my lvl 22 options. I went with the turn/skip Ballista, but that fade/skip one might have been better.

Nevertheless, I find I was doing better with the Recoil. I still have a wind/light Recoil in the bag and am much more accurate with that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200501-172053_DiscGolf.jpg
    Screenshot_20200501-172053_DiscGolf.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just got my disc stuck up in a tree...

But the game didn't count it as landing so I couldn't keep playing. Had to retire(and I was having a good round.)

The game needs to add a "re-throw" option in the arrow menu along with "continue" and "retire" so if the disc gets stuck you can just re-throw and only lose a stroke versus losing points on your rating.

A couple things.
- I got lucky and picked up a wind break / extra glide Recoil. It's better than any Ballista I've picked up yet, almost as long and much more controllable.
- I picked up a wind break / accurate Musket at some point. That thing is money as a control driver. I haven't got an accurate Explorer that I like, but the Musket serves well.
- the accurate / sticky Pure and accurate / glide Fuse are a nice duo in the putt & approach game, I've had some nice throw-ins, but still no Pure or Fuse aces :(

I think I'll burn out on this game soon, but it's fun seeing improvements and leveling up.

Something changed last night. Putting now requires a pull back then push forward stroke. Some of the physics appear to have changed as well.

The game completely updated. You must have had your App Store settings to automatically update.

All of the glitches (double shots, inversions, etc.) are gone, the discs fly a little differently, and the putting mechanism is different (as you mentioned). Big skip discs have pretty much lost their utility, although "Roll" is now an available attribute on new discs.

Most everyone in the Accurate/Extra Glide Pure camp has switched to Accurate/Sticky because there's a slight increase in goofy spit outs

It takes some getting used to so, if you care about your rating, stick to the AI tournaments and challenge the valley for a while!

Overall I like the update - now that I'm used to it.

Something changed last night. Putting now requires a pull back then push forward stroke. Some of the physics appear to have changed as well.

It was a surprise to me this morning when my bag no longer had putters or midranges in it (was carrying 9 discs) Man it is not easy putting with an explorer, I gave up. lol

Just got my disc stuck up in a tree...

But the game didn't count it as landing so I couldn't keep playing. Had to retire(and I was having a good round.)

The game needs to add a "re-throw" option in the arrow menu along with "continue" and "retire" so if the disc gets stuck you can just re-throw and only lose a stroke versus losing points on your rating.

I just had this happen for the first time too. Only it was on a rock, not in a tree. I attached a screen shot.

Maybe add some sort of maximum time for any shot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-184438_DiscGolf.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503-184438_DiscGolf.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 36
The putting physics for the basket is completely broken. Dead-center 15 footers thrown softly bounce out. Sometimes the disc has a psychotic wrestling match with the chains before being ejected out by some unknown spiritual force. Nothing high on the pole is safe. This is actually okay for throw-ins, but it's not okay for putting.

Also, they need to fix the rollaways on certain holes. OB is a coin flip on at least one hole on Grizzly Gulch - the short uphill par 4 across the river with two tiers, the bottom one being a steep switchback. You can't reliably land on that without your disc rolling back down the cliffs to the river with the new physics.

It's not all bad news though. They can tone down the wobbly rolling nonsense a little and it will be fine. It was a good effort.

Yes the putting mechanic has definitely changed. The putt is now useful for me, and I think they made it a little harder to use forehand or backhand throws to putt.

I also notice my light/glide Ballista seems to go farther than before? Or maybe I just hadn't been using it enough and it's just very variable throw to throw? And the ground physics, if anything, seem off with the new rolling. And my discs are all shiny all of a sudden.

I don't like the putting change for one reason. It is really hard to change the height of your putt now as you only have the 2 little purple backwards arrows for your pre-shot now.

I don't like the putting change for one reason. It is really hard to change the height of your putt now as you only have the 2 little purple backwards arrows for your pre-shot now.
I joined the FB group to complain about exactly that. My only real response has been from a guy who doesn't use the putting feature stating that its fine and the arrows are still there when they're needed.

The putting physics for the basket is completely broken. Dead-center 15 footers thrown softly bounce out. Sometimes the disc has a psychotic wrestling match with the chains before being ejected out by some unknown spiritual force. Nothing high on the pole is safe. This is actually okay for throw-ins, but it's not okay for putting.

Also, they need to fix the rollaways on certain holes. OB is a coin flip on at least one hole on Grizzly Gulch - the short uphill par 4 across the river with two tiers, the bottom one being a steep switchback. You can't reliably land on that without your disc rolling back down the cliffs to the river with the new physics.

It's not all bad news though. They can tone down the wobbly rolling nonsense a little and it will be fine. It was a good effort.
I agree, just from an hour or two playing last night - the problems appear to mostly be minor ones, the update is good overall.

I agree, just from an hour or two playing last night - the problems appear to mostly be minor ones, the update is good overall.

I'm enjoying the game more already, even if I'm 5 strokes back of the leaders on average.

Weird rollaways are the only thing that are a new annoyance for me.

It's interesting that none of the top players are on the Facebook page complaining about any of the changes and are still putting up the lowest scores

Yes the putting mechanic has definitely changed. The putt is now useful for me, and I think they made it a little harder to use forehand or backhand throws to putt.

I also notice my light/glide Ballista seems to go farther than before? Or maybe I just hadn't been using it enough and it's just very variable throw to throw? And the ground physics, if anything, seem off with the new rolling. And my discs are all shiny all of a sudden.

I seem to be getting more distance on a lot of my discs, especially the drivers. My discs are also shiny.

As for putting I think I might prefer the new putting system. BUT I sucked with the old one. With the old one if I was outside of 17' I was throwing.

I've started playing a few days ago and the one thing I would like to see added is having a preferred throwing style, backhand or forehand. I know I should pay more attention to which way the game selects for me but I don't because I lazy. Not seeing that the game selected forehand has cost me tons of strokes.

I am happy that they added this in. :thmbup:

Though I have to admit that it has cost me a couple of strokes because I got used to the game picking forehand on certain holes.

It's interesting that none of the top players are on the Facebook page complaining about any of the changes and are still putting up the lowest scores

They dont know how to use facebook, that's all.

Seriously though, it ain't surprising. They have the best feel for the game and can adjust the quickest.

I played 3 rounds today with the new version. My thoughts so far:

- putting: i did putt like this allready before the change, makes zero difference for me.
- throwing putts: have not had a spitout yet in 3 rounds. Maybe when i play more.
- rollaways : Same. No issues yet.
- Roller disc : did not get one yet. Noticed the loading time of the app is slightly longer now with the new version. Airplane mode trick will be even more tedious.

What are people replacing their light/skip Ballista with? Maybe finally time for a Recoil in the bag?