• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Weight Training?

Working out is way overrated.

DG is my workout.

Working out is way overrated.

DG is my workout.

I dont know. I got a beer belly and I see how the real skinny guys can twist and getting in shape would definately beneficial.

Then again, if I wanted to run and sweat a lot, I would play tennis or something.

I dont know. I got a beer belly and I see how the real skinny guys can twist and getting in shape would definately beneficial.

Then again, if I wanted to run and sweat a lot, I would play tennis or something.

whoa, whoa, whoa! who said anything about running and sweating?
I don't do cardio. I earned this beer belly and I plan to keep it. I'm just looking to increase core strength and get a little stronger.

what a kegel?

Like you don't know....;)
http://www.ehow.com/how_4786638_kegal-heighten-sexual-arousal.html

I do a few exercices that I think help, the first is the Powerball for hand and forearm strengthening and I also use those chrome hand dexterity balls. These are super easy to do while sitting on the couch.

I also try to work on some power core muscles, my favorite exercise is using an 8lb medicine ball (the type that looks like a basketball) and throw it hard against a wall about 30 times for each side. (facing sideways like a disc throw) This works the muscles that help your body coil and uncoil quickly.

You should try kegels if your into yoga.

OMG!

That could make for an interesting putt technique. Drop trou, hang disc, look at Playboy or think impure thoughts. Twaaaiaiaiaaiiaing!

It could be called the Cataputt.

If you start doing drives like that with any distance, I would be impressed and horrified at the same time.

I had some shoulder problems as a pitcher in high school so I still occasionally work specifically on my shoulders when in the gym. I use resistance bands or the cable cross machine to isolate the small muscles in the front of your shoulder.

hey i learned something new , i didnt know they had male kegels.

I was just joking that the guys who suggested yoga might like to excercise their vag while there at it.

Didn't they come out with some kind of band like they give you at PT at one points that was specifically for disc sports?

Core strength is key in Disc Golf and is probably more important than anything. Flexibility is key which is why Pilates or Yoga is actually good or better than most workouts and for those of you who haven't tried them, you get a better work out than you might think.

For those of you that boast of the Beer Belly. I am glad that you are proud of it. I am just going to say that Dave Wiggins Jr is a stick of a kid and he can throw his discs way further than any of us.

i agree that core strength would help(as it does in pretty well any sport) and i find that medicine ball work outs are very good to build ur core. also they say throwing is like starting a lawnmower to all the beginners learning how to rip so i would think one arm rows would improve arm speed during ur throw since it is the same action.

Avoid bulking up.

Stretching, yoga, pilates etc. will serve you better than pure weight training. Use lighter weights with more reps when you do lift and focus more on lower back, abs, obliques and legs to strengthen the lower half of your body.

And I hate to say it but cardio is probably the best thing anyone could do for themselves to get into better shape. The better shape your heart and lungs are in the better you will be at any sport. Granted I am morally against any type of running as it's against my religion, but any sort of active activity will help. Racquet Ball is a favorite of mine because it's cardio intensive and you work out whatever wrist/forearm/shoulder you use to swing the racquet.

*backswing

I lift weights as well as do a lot of other excercises to improve my muscle strength, flexibility, range of motion etc. Disc golf puts a very unbalanced demand on your entire body. If you throw with your right hand you should be doing some exercises for the left hand to keep things in balance and your spine straight and balanced. You don't want to grow old out of whack.
It's important to work all parts of your body, but on the upper body you want a balance of excersices between the expanding type and the contracting type. The shoulders and back are very important for disc golf.
I always limber up by doing stretches ( shoulders, waist, hips legs) before a round of golf.

I hope this helps

Good luck!

I have noticed some consistent patterns regarding the timing of my workouts.

Ideally, I try to workout about 4-6 hours before I play an important round, that is when I usually play my best, even better than if I had done no workout.

If I do a hard workout and then play the next day or even 2 days later, that is usually when I feel stiff and sore and play like crap.

I haven't even read the rest of the comments yet, but this really depends on if you want to workout *just* to help out your disc golf...or if you want to work out *and* help your disc golf.

If all you care about is disc golf you need some form of abdomen training, some body weight circuits, and a nice resistance band that you can use for shoulder work and speed pulls (the exact motion of your arm during drives)

If you want to really get in to shape...I could recommend some books or podcasts or whatever you like.

PM me if you need more info.

\/\/