• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf workouts?

StevenSeagal

Par Member
I was interested to know what the community does in the gym to improve your disc golf game. I've been meaning to create a once a week disc golf workout routine and I could really some input. So far I think I have the regions of the body nailed down (legs, core, shoulders, arms), but again I'll take any suggestions you guys have as far as specific workouts. Thanks.

I do nothing in the gym. I ride my bike to work, though, and play tennis. Along with disc golf and fieldwork, I feel like I kind of work everything. I eat a lot of ice cream, however, which negates most of the benefits of any kind of exercise. If I were going to adopt a disc golf-specific exercise regimen, I believe I would focus on flexibility over strength; i.e., yoga, pilates. Just a thought.

I use resistant bands and work on a strong reach back, making one without the band less strenuous making my shots go farther.

I believe there is an Avery Jenkins disc golf workout routine. So...idk, do that.

I work out three times a week. About eight years ago I wrote a piece for the DGW magazine, the version the PDGA supported back then. Somewhere there is a copy of it.... IMO, it works well and provides great benefit.

I tend to focus on core development that impacts the surrounding muscles, i.e. start with the core and work out to the arms, legs etc.

I am also now an advocate of Tai Chi. The basic philosophy is core out and control of the core for speed and power. Your energy and power don't come from the arms and legs, but from the core. Sound a lot like disc golf?

I use resistant bands and work on a strong reach back, making one without the band less strenuous making my shots go farther.
Could you expand on this? Perhaps video/picture/stick drawing/explanation. I used to use a band for ball golf, anchored high to focus on the downward pull and anchored low for the follow through (completing the circle).
I'm curious how you're using it for disc golf: Strong reach back vs strong pull through (anchored toward the target vs anchored opposite the target).

Core, back and legs seems pretty good as that's a lot of what you will be using and walking or some other type of cardio. I already do this on the regular with or without discgolf with things like yoga, weights and hiking.

I do this workout but with lower weight and higher reps as this brings out more functionality for me and I already have the muscle I need, I just want it trained properly.

Specifically with weights I'd say that all the arm workouts as well as 1 or 2 back workouts would be key with above being the main back workout as it works the muscles u use while throwing. Yoga I don't even know what they are called but 1 pose is your belly up on you back and turn you body almost into a V and hold that for front core and then the same where you turn around and do that with you back witch will stregnthen up your core. Also add normal core exercises like situps, bicycle kicks as well as a couple of stretches that are key for you back, arms and legs for better range of movement.

A few folks have already mentioned yoga. I would highly recommend attending one or two yoga classes a week. My drives really improved when I was doing yoga last year, likely from the increased flexibility and core strength. I've had other commitments so far this year and have not been to a yoga class since January. My disc golf game has gotten much worse. I would not recommend high mileage running to improve your game.

At the very least, occasionally doing yoga may help with injury prevention as you increase the intensity of your other workouts.